What about trading for Tatum Bell or Kevin Jones?

H2o

The Lions have a plethora of RB's right now with Kevin Jones leading the way. Then this offseason they get Bell in a trade and sign Duckett. Not many moves the Lions have made under Matt Millen make much sense to me, like the addition of both of these running backs. I can understand Duckett to be the "thunder" to go along with the faster more agile Jones, but why Tatum Bell? It makes me believe that they want to have a guy to move for another pick, maybe? I'm not sure. I've heard so much talk of Turner, but what about one of these two guys. I think the Lions would move Bell before Jones though. So I guess I'm asking what would you all think of Tatum Bell being in a Bills uni next year? He's young and he's definitely got speed (runs low 4.3's in the 40). To me, he seemed to be pretty solid in Denver. For some reason though he never seemed to gain the full backing of the staff and they decided to trade him. I don't know if he's got any major "character" issues or not. He just seems like another guy that would feel like he has something to prove and would relish a shot at being "the guy" in a new setting. I don't think Detroit is a place where that will happen with Jones on their roster. Put him in our backfield along with the power running style of A-Train to spell him and I think we might actually have something. Just a thought. What do you guys think?

Kevin Jones sucks but i wouldnt be surprised to see us make a play for tatum bell if the cost is slight.

i liked what i saw out of Kevin Jones a few years ago, but i am not going to act like an expert on his career because i have not kept track of him recently. Any stats?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492975

His ypc went down after his rookie year, but he does play for the Lions. He does seem to be reliable as a receiver out of the backfield though. I was thinking more about Tatum Bell with this thread though, but threw in Jones name because I didn't know if the Lions were maybe a little tired of him. The main question I have about Jones is if he can stay healthy enough to be a major contributor. He's battled injury the past couple of seasons.

His ypc went down after his rookie year, but he does play for the Lions. He does seem to be reliable as a receiver out of the backfield though. I was thinking more about Tatum Bell with this thread though, but threw in Jones name because I didn't know if the Lions were maybe a little tired of him. The main question I have about Jones is if he can stay healthy enough to be a major contributor. He's battled injury the past couple of seasons.

I might take him for a fourth or fifth.

Tatum Bell is a guy who can give you 10 carries a game tops before burning out. He gets considerably worse the more carries he takes. He offers little as a receiver. Best used in a dual rb role, and while he would be paired with atrain neither one of them offer much of a goalline back and bell is virtualy useless in the redzone. RBBC are fine but at least get a back who need be can handle 20-25 carries. Bell just isn't that guy

Kevin Jones while having a bit of a injury history hasn't exactaly had favorable circumstances. He's shown pretty good speed for his size, and while his ypc has droped considerably from his rookie season he's shown he can be a pretty effective runner. Under the right circumstances he can thrive imho. He showed tremendous receiving ability last season notching 61 receptions for 520 yards. If the lions were willing to trade KJ and what they'd want for him Id take him over the likes of turner in a heartbeat. Fwiw If we're going to trade picks for a rb I'd much prefer it to be in the draft trade up for adrian peterson.

Jones has to be the odd man out. Bell and Duckett are guys who will split carries, so it makes sense to use them both and ditch Jones. I like Jones and his injuries should drop his price. He is worth a 4th or 5th, but a 3rd would be too high. Remember, I think the Lions got another RB from the Broncos for Bly ... I think his name is Foster.

With Peterson I worry about the injuries too. Especially the collarbone injury. That part of your body takes a pounding when you play football and his got broken from just diving into the endzone. I'm almost scared to think of our team giving up alot to move up, get him, and pay him primo money because of his durability questions. He is definitely a good RB. But he runs upright, which tends to lead to more injuries.

anyone realize that that Kevin Jones might not be ready for the start of the season??

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/492975

This is part of the reason for Tatum Bell's acquisition, and TJ Duckett was brought in as a compliment back to both the other RBs; goaline carries and short yardage situations. It might be a while before Jones is ready to play in 2007 and I don't think when he is ready, they are interested in moving any of the 3 backs.

Jones ripped us a new A last year. I think that was his only good game of the year.

Why would the Lions trade someone(Bell) they just picked up in the off-season? :)

because thier interest in the trade was to move Dre Bly. They took the best offer they could get. Sort of like Best Player Available in the draft.

They aren't wed to T.Bell if they can use him to get something more valuable.

The Lions have a plethora of RB's right now with Kevin Jones leading the way. Then this offseason they get Bell in a trade and sign Duckett. Not many moves the Lions have made under Matt Millen make much sense to me, like the addition of both of these running backs. I can understand Duckett to be the "thunder" to go along with the faster more agile Jones, but why Tatum Bell? It makes me believe that they want to have a guy to move for another pick, maybe? I'm not sure. I've heard so much talk of Turner, but what about one of these two guys. I think the Lions would move Bell before Jones though. So I guess I'm asking what would you all think of Tatum Bell being in a Bills uni next year? He's young and he's definitely got speed (runs low 4.3's in the 40). To me, he seemed to be pretty solid in Denver. For some reason though he never seemed to gain the full backing of the staff and they decided to trade him. I don't know if he's got any major "character" issues or not. He just seems like another guy that would feel like he has something to prove and would relish a shot at being "the guy" in a new setting. I don't think Detroit is a place where that will happen with Jones on their roster. Put him in our backfield along with the power running style of A-Train to spell him and I think we might actually have something. Just a thought. What do you guys think?

I'm sold.