Okay. Offseason moves and our effort for the bowl

This is based partly off of the thread that discusses PFT's thoughts for what we should do. It was extremely lengthy, so i thought i'd make a thread in itself. Do not flame, just read. Kind of lengthy, but what the hell, right?

First off, i believe that the plans set for this year are to make a viable push for the playoffs. I really don't think that they are thinking super bowl quite yet, so i think the goal for this year is that we make an attempt at the playoffs and let the team gel a little bit more.

Next year will be the year in which the Bills make their real push for the big bang. It's difficult to talk about, but i am almost sure that Ralph Wilson will not be around for three more years, so this has to happen within the next two. I think he knows this as well as Marv Levy knows this. I think that it is in the card deck that the Bills will pull out all stops to make this happen.

That being said, it may not be that bad of an idea to trade our first round pick in 2008 for Peterson or someone that could change your franchise. Now stick with me, i am not saying that you give up this years first for Peterson. Instead, like the article said, if we can find a trade partner willing to accept the deal we would get a steal since we will more than likely be picking in the high teens to mid twenties next season.

You trade up with next years first to get Peterson. I say this because if next year is supposed to be the year, you will only need a few players to cap off your team. I have a feeling that those players could be found in the second round, or twice in the third since we have Baltimore's other third round pick as well.

We get Peterson and Patrick Willis this year in the first round. Thus giving those guys a year to step into the system and gel with the team. We have the cap space to do it. That way we have someone to carry the rock on offense, and we also have a young leader to anchor the defense, in addition to Donte Whitner.

(Sparks a cigarette)

In the second round this year, we look to pick up a wide receiver. I know the team has expressed interest in Robert Meachem of Tennessee, and if he is still on the board, i believe we pull the trigger almost instantly. I was going to insert Lawrence Timmons into this spot, but with the acquisition of Willis, Crowell gets kicked outside and Ellison proved to be a decent starter last season.

In the third round we look to take a tight end or cornerback. We have never had a decent tight end in Buffalo and it might be worth our while to acquire one with this pick. I say cornerback because i believe that either Youboty or McGee will not be able to fill the starting role.

Thus at the end of this offseason, our line-up looks something like this...

QB: JP Losman, Craig Nall

RB: Adrian Peterson, Anthony Thomas, Free Agent pick up

FB: Brad Cieslak (Can switch from TE to FB or vice versa in packages)

WR: Lee Evans, Robert Meachem, Peerless Price, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, Sam Akien

TE: Robert Royal, Kevin Everett, Third Round Tight end

LT: Jason Peters, Brad Butler, Terrence Pennington

LG: Derrick Dockery, Aaron Merz

C: Melvin Fowler, Duke Preston

RG: Langston Walker, Jason Whittle, Duke Preston

RT: Terrence Pennington, Brad Butler

RDE: Aaron Schobel, Anthony Hargrove

DT: Larry Tripplet, John McCargo, Kyle Williams, Darwin Walker

LDE: Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney

OLB: Keith Ellison, Angelo Crowell, Coy Wire, Mario Haggan

MLB: Patrick Willis, John Digiorgio

CB: Ashton Youboty, Terrence McGee, (Rookie in third round) Kiwaukee Thomas, Jabari Greer

SS: Donte Whitner, Free Agent pick up or Rookie, Jim Leonhard

FS: Ko Simpson, Jim Leonhard

K: Rian Lindell

P: Brian Moorman

In two days, i think that this team just got one hell of a lot better. Given another year to gel, i believe that this team alone has the potential to make the super bowl. Then you add a second round pick and a third round pick next year in positions that are easy to fill and i think our team is looking almost immaculate.

Thoughts or Opinions a good...

This is based partly off of the thread that discusses PFT's thoughts for what we should do. It was extremely lengthy, so i thought i'd make a thread in itself. Do not flame, just read. Kind of lengthy, but what the hell, right?

First off, i believe that the plans set for this year are to make a viable push for the playoffs. I really don't think that they are thinking super bowl quite yet, so i think the goal for this year is that we make an attempt at the playoffs and let the team gel a little bit more.

Next year will be the year in which the Bills make their real push for the big bang. It's difficult to talk about, but i am almost sure that Ralph Wilson will not be around for three more years, so this has to happen within the next two. I think he knows this as well as Marv Levy knows this. I think that it is in the card deck that the Bills will pull out all stops to make this happen.

That being said, it may not be that bad of an idea to trade our first round pick in 2008 for Peterson or someone that could change your franchise. Now stick with me, i am not saying that you give up this years first for Peterson. Instead, like the article said, if we can find a trade partner willing to accept the deal we would get a steal since we will more than likely be picking in the high teens to mid twenties next season.

You trade up with next years first to get Peterson. I say this because if next year is supposed to be the year, you will only need a few players to cap off your team. I have a feeling that those players could be found in the second round, or twice in the third since we have Baltimore's other third round pick as well.

We get Peterson and Patrick Willis this year in the first round. Thus giving those guys a year to step into the system and gel with the team. We have the cap space to do it. That way we have someone to carry the rock on offense, and we also have a young leader to anchor the defense, in addition to Donte Whitner.

(Sparks a cigarette)

In the second round this year, we look to pick up a wide receiver. I know the team has expressed interest in Robert Meachem of Tennessee, and if he is still on the board, i believe we pull the trigger almost instantly. I was going to insert Lawrence Timmons into this spot, but with the acquisition of Willis, Crowell gets kicked outside and Ellison proved to be a decent starter last season.

In the third round we look to take a tight end or cornerback. We have never had a decent tight end in Buffalo and it might be worth our while to acquire one with this pick. I say cornerback because i believe that either Youboty or McGee will not be able to fill the starting role.

Thus at the end of this offseason, our line-up looks something like this...

QB: JP Losman, Craig Nall

RB: Adrian Peterson, Anthony Thomas, Free Agent pick up

FB: Brad Cieslak (Can switch from TE to FB or vice versa in packages)

WR: Lee Evans, Robert Meachem, Peerless Price, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, Sam Akien

TE: Robert Royal, Kevin Everett, Third Round Tight end

LT: Jason Peters, Brad Butler, Terrence Pennington

LG: Derrick Dockery, Aaron Merz

C: Melvin Fowler, Duke Preston

RG: Langston Walker, Jason Whittle, Duke Preston

RT: Terrence Pennington, Brad Butler

RDE: Aaron Schobel, Anthony Hargrove

DT: Larry Tripplet, John McCargo, Kyle Williams, Darwin Walker

LDE: Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney

OLB: Keith Ellison, Angelo Crowell, Coy Wire, Mario Haggan

MLB: Patrick Willis, John Digiorgio

CB: Ashton Youboty, Terrence McGee, (Rookie in third round) Kiwaukee Thomas, Jabari Greer

SS: Donte Whitner, Free Agent pick up or Rookie, Jim Leonhard

FS: Ko Simpson, Jim Leonhard

K: Rian Lindell

P: Brian Moorman

In two days, i think that this team just got one hell of a lot better. Given another year to gel, i believe that this team alone has the potential to make the super bowl. Then you add a second round pick and a third round pick next year in positions that are easy to fill and i think our team is looking almost immaculate.

Thoughts or Opinions a good...

I don't want to ruin your cornflakes, but it seems to me that Buffalo isn't thinking about a few of the things you talk about.

First, this cash to the cap plan. No other NFL team self-restricts their front office from using the tools the league provides. According to clump, we're about 19M below the cap not including the savings from the Spikes trade. If we saved 5M with the deal, we're 24M under the cap with mainly rookies to sign. I would wager to say we are at the NFL cap minimum when the season begins. If Ralph is going balls to the wall, he's sure not doing it this season, revenue sharing or not.

As for the players, still significant areas of need. I think Buffalo hosted Meachem to get more info and probably are interested. It could be a likely pick, but I still believe DJ will influence Marv to go defense in Round 1 and 2. I just don't think #2 WR is a high enough priority. The defense has weaknesses at LB, CB, and lacks depth at S.

I simply think the premise that we're going to do everything in the future to win isn't correct. It sounds like cash to the cap is not a one year thing, it's for the future. Ralph doesn't seem willing to spend any more than he has to, cap wise that is and this year is no exception. Cash to the cap is Ralph's reply to growing NFL signing bonuses and he's doing what any businessman who thinks (either correctly or incorrectly) that he can't make the money he once did. You spend less when things aren't good.

They could make the playoffs, stranger things have certainly happened. But with as many issues as they have, I have a hard time thinking they'll be anything more than an 8-8 team in a division with NE and an improving NYJ.

They could make the playoffs, stranger things have certainly happened. But with as many issues as they have, I have a hard time thinking they'll be anything more than an 8-8 team in a division with NE and an improving NYJ.

All the Bills really need is a legitimate ground attack to stabalize their offense, and give their defense some rest. I think Marv realized this and that is why we acquired so many offensive lineman on day one of free agency. The only missing piece is a legit running back to carry the rock. This in turn, with one or two linebackers, will stabalize our defense thus allowing fewer points and producing more victories on the field.

As for your assessment of the Jets, they had a schedule last year that was set for a team that had the fourth over all pick in the draft. Then they lost in the playoffs. I wouldn't go that far with the Jets. ESPN may be blowing the Jets organization and Eric Mangini, but that doesn't mean that people on this board should follow suit.

It just can't happen the way you've outlined it. Trading the Bills first rounder next year won't get them a top 10 pick this year. A first round pick in the following year is generally considered to be equal to a 2nd round pick in the current year. With that in mind there is no way for the Bills to move into the top 10 this year without giving up their #12. They'd pretty much have to trade their entire draft this year (minus #12) plus their first rounder next year and I don't even think that would be enough.

It just can't happen the way you've outlined it. Trading the Bills first rounder next year won't get them a top 10 pick this year. A first round pick in the following year is generally considered to be equal to a 2nd round pick in the current year. With that in mind there is no way for the Bills to move into the top 10 this year without giving up their #12. They'd pretty much have to trade their entire draft this year (minus #12) plus their first rounder next year and I don't even think that would be enough.

Yeah, look what we gave up to get Losman

Boony, I agree with your overall thinking re:Ralph and the plan, but not with your personnel choices. Although I'd be reasonably happy with that line-up, (thrilled, actually) I think it is extremely unlikely.

Also, I don't think we trade up for AP. He's much too one-dimensional for this offense, IMO. If he fell to us...well, you'd have to think about it.

Wow, Meacham, Willis AND Peterson! Pass some of that down here buddy, I need a hit!

Yes, there is no way we get all three players. Meachem will be gone by the 1st round, possibly higher than Willis, and you just can't trade an '08 draft pick like you claim to move back into the 1st round. It is a nice pipe dream but that is all it is, imo.

Yes, there is no way we get all three players. Meachem will be gone by the 1st round, possibly higher than Willis, and you just can't trade an '08 draft pick like you claim to move back into the 1st round. It is a nice pipe dream but that is all it is, imo.

I think it is just a pipe dream also. I didn't think we would actually get all of these players, and a lot of this is based on early draft information. As of pre combine, Robert Meachem was supposed to be a second round pick, but i guess his stock rose quickly and now he is going in the first round.

I personally think that Meachem could slide, but you never know. It all depends on what people feel like on draft day. Whatever the result, do look for the Bills to push extremely hard over these next two years to get a team into place.