Mike Schneck VS Jason Whittle

___JT___

Something different to think about other than the draft and trades....

Looking over the roster, I always felt the Long Snapper is a luxury to have in the NFL. We have one of the best there is in Mike Schneck. Ideally you want a guy that can do more than be a LS. One of the things that was mentioned about Whittle is that he can LS. My guess is that if he can be consistent, then Schneck is out the door. It makes sense that we keep 9 OL this year. I think on game day we will dress 8 offensive linemen. Here they are : Starters Jason Peters-LT Derrick Dockery-LG Melvin Fowler-C Duke Preston-RG Langston Walker-RT. Backups : Brad Butler, Aaron Merz, Jason Whittle and Terrance Pennington. With one of them sitting out . The LG position is up for grabs and anyone of them beside TP could end up starting this year at the LG position. This should really push someone as the competition to start or even dress is going to be fierce !

To me it make sense if Whittle can win the Long Snapper job because he can be the 8th guy and play ANY position on the o-line in an emergency situation, 3rd option type of guy. The primary backups will be the younger guys.

Looking over the roster, I always felt the Long Snapper is a luxury to have in the NFL. We have one of the best there is in Mike Schneck. Ideally you want a guy that can do more than be a LS. One of the things that was mentioned about Whittle is that he can LS. My guess is that if he can be consistent, then Schneck is out the door. It makes sense that we keep 9 OL this year. I think on game day we will dress 8 offensive linemen. Here they are : Starters Jason Peters-LT Derrick Dockery-LG Melvin Fowler-C Duke Preston-RG Langston Walker-RT. Backups : Brad Butler, Aaron Merz, Jason Whittle and Terrance Pennington. With one of them sitting out . The LG position is up for grabs and anyone of them beside TP could end up starting this year at the LG position. This should really push someone as the competition to start or even dress is going to be fierce !

To me it make sense if Whittle can win the Long Snapper job because he can be the 8th guy and play ANY position on the o-line in an emergency situation, 3rd option type of guy. The primary backups will be the younger guys.

You mean the RG and/or RT is up for grabs. As like last year the Bills might want to get their best 5 on the field and there's question if Walker is best suited for RG or RT. I still feel we overpayed for him. I fully expect it to be Duke Preston's to make it at RG if Walker ends up at RT. If Walker ends up at RG than Pennington should be the favorite at RT. Unless Butler steps his game up. In terms of backups that would leave Pennington and Whittle to be almost assured spots as primary back ups and suspect Butler will be groomed into a swing G/T unless we draft someone in the draft who turns out better. In terms of Long Snapper, keep Schneck as why mess with a good thing? As since he's been added Mooreman's been to two Pro Bowls and Lindell's been at his best.

You mean the RG and/or RT is up for grabs. As like last year the Bills might want to get their best 5 on the field and there's question if Walker is best suited for RG or RT. I still feel we overpayed for him. I fully expect it to be Duke Preston's to make it at RG if Walker ends up at RT. If Walker ends up at RG than Pennington should be the favorite at RT. Unless Butler steps his game up. In terms of backups that would leave Pennington and Whittle to be almost assured spots as primary back ups and suspect Butler will be groomed into a swing G/T unless we draft someone in the draft who turns out better. In terms of Long Snapper, keep Schneck as why mess with a good thing? As since he's been added Mooreman's been to two Pro Bowls and Lindell's been at his best.

Something tells me Brad Butler is going to push for the starting R guard position. I think Walker is too tall for Guard as JP will not be able to see over him.

Well, I think the long snapper is a necessity. Unreliable snaps can have disasterous results. Punt blocks or fumbles, missed fgs and xps, lousy field position.

One of the old guard...Seifert, Gibbs, I forget exactly who, once said that the punter is the most important player - and that implies a good LS.

It sure would be nice if Whittle can long snap, but he would have to be proven reliably better then Schneck, IMO.

Bills have carried 10 OL in the past- whic is good news for Bill from NYC since the bills have room to draft another OL -

hopefully its on day 1

No way they get rid of schneck, he stays as a ST player only. I think Moorman may have something to say about it if they tried. BM brought him to the Pro Bowl to be his snapper because thats who he's most comfortable with, why mess with that chemistry and piss off/screw up the teams Pro Bowler?

It sure would be nice if Whittle can long snap, but he would have to be proven reliably better then Schneck, IMO.

Unless both Moorman (as both punter and holder) and Lindell tell Bobby April in camp that Whittle can do the job just as well as Schneck, that they are comfortable to a Tee.... you do not !@#$ with what has worked for the ST for two seasons now, after the problems they had before his arrival. Moorman's punts have gotten even better these past two seasons, such that he's been a Pro Bowl candidate... in gusty Buffalo(!). There were other factors for sure (inc. a left shoulder injury that threw off his technique a little), but Schneck came in and Lindell started drilling from 50+ with the best of them. I remember seeing a quote from him at the time that it was due to the new LS.

For all the guff about kickers being a "dime a dozen" bringing together this STs unit was TD's best move. Don't blow it up to try to prove him wrong.

Unless both Moorman (as both punter and holder) and Lindell tell Bobby April in camp that Whittle can do the job just as well as Schneck, that they are comfortable to a Tee.... you do not !@#$ with what has worked for the ST for two seasons now, after the problems they had before his arrival. There were other factors for sure (inc. a left shoulder injury that threw off his technique a little), but Schneck came in and Lindell started drilling from 50+ with the best of them. I remember seeing a quote from him at the time that it was due to the new LS.

For all the guff about kickers being a "dime a dozen" bringing together this STs unit was TD's best move. Don't blow it up to try to prove him wrong.

Yes, this about covers it. Good post. :D