hope all you teacher-hating, union-hating neanderthals enjoy:

jester43

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Darin, I really wish you'd spare us the idea that good parenting is a liberal / conservative issue.

That's not what I meant and you know it. The fact of the matter is, the liberal movement of "enpowering" children is the key point that led to this disaster and it hasn't lost one bit of steam.

http://www.kcs.k12tn.net/benefits/workersc...ssault-proc.htm

Seems assault by a student is covered under workers comp in Tennessee.

As Suey pointed out, however, she might be able to find a better remedy through a tort action against her employer. If the kid showed propensity to violence, or if other teachers had been assaulted, or if there were "unauthorized" cars in the lot, I imagine there would be a number of ways to approach the situation.

You should waive her health insurance and other union won benefits if the union is so bad. Wait, I forgot......you like illegal aliens when they are out of your neighborhood and you are a libertatian who endorses government bans.

Never mind

WTF are you talking about? I hate the smoking ban. And my position on "illegals" is entirely coherent with my greater positions on economics and policy.

http://www.kcs.k12tn.net/benefits/workersc...ssault-proc.htm

Seems assault by a student is covered under workers comp in Tennessee.

As Suey pointed out, however, she might be able to find a better remedy through a tort action against her employer. If the kid showed propensity to violence, or if other teachers had been assaulted, or if there were "unauthorized" cars in the lot, I imagine there would be a number of ways to approach the situation.

I think that provision assumes that the assault happened while the teacher was performing duties persuant to their job. I think walking to work would be a tough stretch to meet that requirement.

She was assaulted on a public street by someone who HAPPENED to be a student at the school.

Again the situation sucks, but she should have to use her sick days, thats why she has them and the kid should be kicked repeatedly in the nuts and then put in jail to remind him that we a society of people not animals. :D

I'd like to know where you get your data. NYS Ed Dept says average is in the $53K range. That means that at a starting teacher salary of $35K that the longest tenured teachers MIGHT be making around $70K. MIGHT.

In my mother's school district, a teacher with 25 years, a masters plus 32 credits earns roughly $65k a year. And consider they only work 9 months out of the year, that's a pretty damn good deal for a GUARANTEED job.

You'll never hear me crying about how hard teachers have it.

Go ahead, champ. Try me.

Like I said, I've got about a decade of living with an NEA-affiliated teacher under my belt. I DO so look forward to your impending "rectification" of my "wrong" views.

I thought she was AFT.

She's actually fortunate to be NEA, believe it or not.

I think that provision assumes that the assault happened while the teacher was performing duties persuant to their job. I think walking to work would be a tough stretch to meet that requirement.

She was assaulted on a public street by someone who HAPPENED to be a student at the school.

Again the situation sucks, but she should have to use her sick days, thats why she has them and the kid should be kicked repeatedly in the nuts and then put in jail to remind him that we a society of people not animals. :D

Assuming facts not in evidence. Had there been previous attacks, altercations, robberies of employees of the school on their way into work? By students who recognized them as employees or teachers, and presumed they would be good targets? Did this student know that she was a teacher? Did the teacher have a reasonable expectation that the parking lot would be available? Lots of things to find out...hence one needs a lawyer.

Assuming facts not in evidence. Had there been previous attacks, altercations, robberies of employees of the school on their way into work? By students who recognized them as employees or teachers, and presumed they would be good targets? Did this student know that she was a teacher? Did the teacher have a reasonable expectation that the parking lot would be available? Lots of things to find out...hence one needs a lawyer.

Can we at least assume TN law doesn't apply in Buffalo? :D

Bump... :D

25 teachers take retirement incentive

The Buffalo News

March 8, 2007 Thursday

By Eileen Werbitzky

The Hamburg School Board accepted Tuesday the resignation of 25 teachers who have chosen to take advantage of the Retirement Incentive Amendment, now in its final year.

The board voted to amend the eligibility date to Aug. 31 for any teacher wishing to retire under the incentive package. Assistant Superintendent Gordon Kerr said that the number of teachers retiring from the Hamburg School District this year is more than double last year's total and comes from all six of the district's buildings.

"It's a huge decision to retire," Kerr said. "Any time you have this number of retiring teachers, it's a significant loss. These are veteran people with a wealth of knowledge."

In the next several weeks, the interviewing process for hiring new teachers will begin, Kerr said. He expects between 1,200 and 1,400 resumes to pass through his office. The district currently employs 375 teachers.

That's not what I meant and you know it. The fact of the matter is, the liberal movement of "enpowering" children is the key point that led to this disaster and it hasn't lost one bit of steam.

I do think that's part of it. I just wouldn't choose to call it liberal in nature. Maybe neo-liberal or neo-conservative, neither of which can I discern the difference between, nor which is worse these days.

I would also argue that these play a major role:

- the fact that it is difficult for a family to have a stay-at-home parent these days due to cost of living

- that we're deeply suckered into the idea that products and wealth play more of a role in making life better than the simple dedication of time

- the litigious nature of our society -- implying that responsibilities lie elsewhere most of the time, for all people. You see it in bad parenting, you see it in poor stewardship of the environment, it's everywhere.

Bump... :D

25 teachers take retirement incentive

The Buffalo News

March 8, 2007 Thursday

By Eileen Werbitzky

The Hamburg School Board accepted Tuesday the resignation of 25 teachers who have chosen to take advantage of the Retirement Incentive Amendment, now in its final year.

The board voted to amend the eligibility date to Aug. 31 for any teacher wishing to retire under the incentive package. Assistant Superintendent Gordon Kerr said that the number of teachers retiring from the Hamburg School District this year is more than double last year's total and comes from all six of the district's buildings.

"It's a huge decision to retire," Kerr said. "Any time you have this number of retiring teachers, it's a significant loss. These are veteran people with a wealth of knowledge."

In the next several weeks, the interviewing process for hiring new teachers will begin, Kerr said. He expects between 1,200 and 1,400 resumes to pass through his office. The district currently employs 375 teachers.

What's your point? They're going to be replaced by entry level personnel at entry-level wages, hence not the millionaire teachers you and others are decrying. :lol: And from a pool of over 40 times as many applicants as available positions, they should have the opportunity to make good hires.