Are you smarter than a 5th grader

dib

I wondered the same thing but the answer was 12. At first I was thinking the question should've been "how much is x?" but it wasn't. I think that was a second grade question too. :blink:

I still insist the answer is 4, and they asked the wrong question. Because I just can't accept that anyone would ask so insipid a trick question of an adult.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still insist the answer is 4, and they asked the wrong question. Because I just can't accept that anyone would ask so insipid a trick question of an adult.

The way the question was asked the answer is indeed 12. The way we thought it should've been asked would make the answer 4.

If 3x = Y and Y = 12, then how much is 3x? 3x would have to be 12.

Should've been in my opinion..... If 3x = Y and Y = 12, then how much is x? Then the answer would be 4.

I'm just a dumbass Marine so what do I know? :blink:

This show is embarrassing and an insult. Woman wins a tremendous sum of money and cannot subtract 7 from 12. She was asked, "Which continent is also a country" she replied "all of them".

Embarrassing and an insult to whom?

This show is embarrassing and an insult. Woman wins a tremendous sum of money and cannot subtract 7 from 12. She was asked, "Which continent is also a country" she replied "all of them".

can't believe the dumb B word didn't know the answer was Africa. :blink:

I think that's what they meant to ask though. How many second graders do you know doing algebra? Remember it was a SECOND grade question!!

Quite a few, actually.

Of course, every second-grader I meet, I try to teach algebra.

Parents don't much like me around their kids...

Exhibit one in the general "rose colored glasses about the past" trend that dominates these days is the bizarre notion that people are more stupid today than in the past. That is obviously untrue. People have been stupid since day one and are just as mentally stunted now as they have ever been. It is just that the 20th century has brought us ways to exploit our stupidity in more profitable and mass-viewable fashion. That's what the rest of us idiots do when a very small minority of people came up with things like TV and the Internets. We will never in general become an intelligent species until we learn to do something well other than kill and phuck.

I don't watch South Park.

Though every time someone talks about it, I inevitably ask myself "Why the hell don't I watch South Park?"

I would rather chew broken glass.

fantastic show for libertarians

hardcore liberals and crazy right wingers might not like it...if they do, they've got a great sense of humor or they don't know what's going on

on a related note, how many people watch jeopardy? I know i do. I'd much rather watch knowledgeable people try to answer tough questions. I see stupid people everyday here at work. i dont need to watch a TV show about them. i live the show.

on a related note, how many people watch jeopardy? I know i do. I'd much rather watch knowledgeable people try to answer tough questions. I see stupid people everyday here at work. i dont need to watch a TV show about them. i live the show.

yes, exactly. i can't understand watching stupid people on even more braindead shows. i understand very well turning off your brain and just watching something to relax but watching the crap that parades around on TV is not what i call relaxing my brain. i don't even get pleasure mocking them because it's too easy; it just make me angry that people are so stupid and uncomfortable that someone would submit themselves to such ridicule on TV.