Amobi Okoye...

Has anyone seen this guy dominate consistently in games? Is he worthy of the #12 spot? I never saw him play other than the highlight reels on NFL Network. He is a 3 Technique which the Bills seem to have an over abundance of. He looks like a great pick but everything I read about him lately says "upside" for the positives, and the negatives are "Not very tough, does not have a high motor & takes plays off". I am always a bit concerned when players tend to skyrocket this much after the season (reminds me too much of Mike Mamula or Erik Flowers). I would love someone to convince me otherwise considering the need on the DL.

I watche Okoye against Rutgers, West Virginia, and he was all over the place. He didnt take one single play off in any of his games this year......

I think the Erik Flowers refernce could be made towards Branch.....

But as for Okoye, I think hes going to be a good football player in the NFL for years to come.

You're thinking of the wrong guy then. He's known for giving full effort. Branch is the one that doesnt have the high motor and allegedly takes plays off.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/okoye_amobi

PFW- "Does not play hard every snap. Not a great finisher. Struggles to unlock his hips and is stiff in the ankles. Not very tough. Has a tendancy to play tall. Appears to think too much. Struggles to escape from experienced hand-fighters. Underachieved early in his career. Not very tough and struggles to play with pain. Fluctuations in weight need to be evaluated. Could be easily distracted".

ESPN- "Lacks ideal closing speed and athleticism and will never be an explosive interior penetrator. Pass-rush moves need polishing. Comes out of stance too high at times, costing him power. Appears to wear down late in games and doesn't always play with a great motor. Must carefully maintain conditioning".

I do not want to focus on the negatives because I know that every player has positives and negatives and the only things that really jumped out at me was the lack of intensity. On the other hand TSN listed him as their top DT and they do not list any weaknesses.

PFW- "Does not play hard every snap. Not a great finisher. Struggles to unlock his hips and is stiff in the ankles. Not very tough. Has a tendancy to play tall. Appears to think too much. Struggles to escape from experienced hand-fighters. Underachieved early in his career. Not very tough and struggles to play with pain. Fluctuations in weight need to be evaluated. Could be easily distracted".

When he was 16? :thumbsup:

ESPN- "Lacks ideal closing speed and athleticism and will never be an explosive interior penetrator. Pass-rush moves need polishing. Comes out of stance too high at times, costing him power. Appears to wear down late in games and doesn't always play with a great motor. Must carefully maintain conditioning".

I do not want to focus on the negatives because I know that every player has positives and negatives and the only things that really jumped out at me was the lack of intensity. On the other hand TSN listed him as their top DT and they do not list any weaknesses.

Maybe you should take all of the above with a grain of salt.

I heard he also doesn't hold the door open for old ladies and hates Seinfeld with a passion but I'm not asking whether or not he'll be the next "Erik Flowers" in March before he is even drafted.

Maybe you should take all of the above with a grain of salt.

I heard he also doesn't hold the door open for old ladies and hates Seinfeld with a passion but I'm not asking whether or not he'll be the next "Erik Flowers" in March before he is even drafted.

Sweet! I still think I would rather have Willis or one of the RB's. Damn teenagers.

I like the talk about Amobi but lets all remember one thing. DT is one of the toughest positions to come in and make a difference right away. It can take three years or so.

Thats why I think we go else where because we need help right now. That and McCargo may turn out to be a stud.

That PFW one really surprises me and comes out of left field. I have read numerous reports on the guy and this one seems almost the opposite. But those scouting reports are always suspect and need to be looked at as a whole. The vast majority of the reports rave about the kid, his talent, his heart, his production, his potential, and his character.

That's funny! :thumbsup:

Do we make excuses for him being 19 going against NFL players though?

Of course we will.....He got blown up by his daddy.....he is 19 yrs old thats why he got beat on that one play etc etc.

If we drafted him we would make these excuses until we ran him out of town.

that is if he didn't pan out.

That's funny! :thumbsup:

Do we make excuses for him being 19 going against NFL players though?

No. But it's a decent and legitimate point if you think about it. The difference in the ability and strength of when you are 16 until you are 19 is a lot more than those same things from 19 to 22. Any random sophomore in high school would likely be physically abused playing against major college players a lot more than a freshman in college is going to be abused by a senior in college.

I like the talk about Amobi but lets all remember one thing. DT is one of the toughest positions to come in and make a difference right away. It can take three years or so.

Thats why I think we go else where because we need help right now. That and McCargo may turn out to be a stud.

??? You said the thing in another thread: DT is considered one the easiest positions to

start as a rookie and make an impact, running back probably being the other.

There's just not that much to know, what the heck are you talking about?

DE, middle linebacker, safety and CB ALL are more difficalt to learn, at that is just on the

defensive side of the ball.

In addition, as a D tackle, you are generally going against the least skilled players on an

NFL team, being interior linemen.

No. But it's a decent and legitimate point if you think about it. The difference in the ability and strength of when you are 16 until you are 19 is a lot more than those same things from 19 to 22. Any random sophomore in high school would likely be physically abused playing against major college players a lot more than a freshman in college is going to be abused by a senior in college.

Yes, but a 27 year old with developed "man muscles" will eat any 19 year old alive. If we take him, I fear that when he's 24 and really ready to dominate, we'll lose him as a Free Agent. Give me Willis or a RB.

Has anyone seen this guy dominate consistently in games? Is he worthy of the #12 spot? I never saw him play other than the highlight reels on NFL Network. He is a 3 Technique which the Bills seem to have an over abundance of. He looks like a great pick but everything I read about him lately says "upside" for the positives, and the negatives are "Not very tough, does not have a high motor & takes plays off". I am always a bit concerned when players tend to skyrocket this much after the season (reminds me too much of Mike Mamula or Erik Flowers). I would love someone to convince me otherwise considering the need on the DL.

I'm still trying to forget that Erik Flowers actually existed...

Yes, but a 27 year old with developed "man muscles" will eat any 19 year old alive. If we take him, I fear that when he's 24 and really ready to dominate, we'll lose him as a Free Agent. Give me Willis or a RB.

Amare Stoudemire. A freakish physical specimen came right out of high school and held his own as an 19 year old against the biggest, strongest guys in the NBA. At 22, he was dominating.