over time rules

mead107

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...ls_N.htm?csp=34

looks like the could change it

I think they should follow college rules

I agree...everyone gets a chance and if you blow it after the other team scores then GAME OVER.

I agree...everyone gets a chance and if you blow it after the other team scores then GAME OVER.

why? to be fair and give everyone a chance? this isn't youth sports they're playing out there....

the receiving team on opening kickoff of on the 1st possession of OT wins 29% of the time. so, 7 out of 10 times, the other team gains possession.

all in all, the team that gets the ball first wins 60%, which includes all possessions of OT. this means after at least one possession each, the team that got the ball 2nd still wins 4 out of 10 games.

is this so out of whack that a change is needed? if the rule is changed to the college rules, what are the odds that the first team to get the ball wins? i bet it's not exactly 50/50. statistically, there must be some advantage to getting the ball first or second. no one quotes those stats though. i'd be interested to see what they are.

bottom line -- the better team will prevail more often, whether they get the ball first or not. a good defense will stop the offense. a good offense will move down the field against the defense.

why? to be fair and give everyone a chance? this isn't youth sports they're playing out there....

the receiving team on opening kickoff of on the 1st possession of OT wins 29% of the time. so, 7 out of 10 times, the other team gains possession.

all in all, the team that gets the ball first wins 60%, which includes all possessions of OT. this means after at least one possession each, the team that got the ball 2nd still wins 4 out of 10 games.

is this so out of whack that a change is needed? if the rule is changed to the college rules, what are the odds that the first team to get the ball wins? i bet it's not exactly 50/50. statistically, there must be some advantage to getting the ball first or second. no one quotes those stats though. i'd be interested to see what they are.

bottom line -- the better team will prevail more often, whether they get the ball first or not. a good defense will stop the offense. a good offense will move down the field against the defense.

I think the fairness comes in to play because there are still instances in which teams don't get a shot solely because of a coin toss...otherwise, if those numbers are true that's very interesting

• Another, from San Francisco, would apply the college rule on defensive pass interference except on what are deemed flagrant fouls — assessing a 15-yard penalty rather than giving the offensive team the ball at the spot of the foul. On the flagrant fouls, the ball would be spotted where the penalty occurred, as it is at present.

Why would San Francisco need to worry about PI penalties?? :w00t:

Anyone ever notice that something else is always better than what you got? The NHL tried to fix their overtime rules by awarding a point for a tie at the end of regulation, regardless of the OT outcome, to "fix" the "problem" that teams were playing to not lose the point in OT. Now, people are complaining that too many hockey teams are above .500, and are advising a "solution" to the "problem" that's basically the old problem.

Why would changing OT rules (or the playoff format, for that matter) in football be any different? Five years after they change them, you're all going to be screaming "The rules are unfair, change them to..."

Why would changing OT rules (or the playoff format, for that matter) in football be any different? Five years after they change them, you're all going to be screaming "The rules are unfair, change them to..."

Not to mention the fact that the existing rules are not "unfair" anyway considering that both teams have an equal chance at winning the OT coin flip.

A coin flip has no business deciding anything in football(maybe who kicks off first)....it's a joke! The college format is far more exciting anyway.

Go Bills!

a coin flip decides nothing. one team outplaying the other still decides the outcome.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...ls_N.htm?csp=34

looks like the could change it

I think they should follow college rules

I don't like the college rules, mead. Too many late plays designed to get to a tie for that 5 or 6 play hope-I-get-lucky OT stuff. A whole games' worth of effort coming to that. I like to see teams going for the win in the waning moments.

I despise NHL shoot-outs. Reminds me of roller hockey.

I also don't like basketball jump ball possession arrows. The two that tied up the ball should decide.

Rant over. :w00t: