a good reason bills dont go willis with #12

Bills | Crowell most likely to replace Fletcher-Baker

Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:31:41 -0700

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills LB Angelo Crowell is the odds-on favorite to replace LB London Fletcher-Baker (Redskins) in the middle of the Bills' defense. His teammates believe Crowell will certainly fill the leadership void left by Fletcher-Baker

i guess the MLB spot is already pretty much solved.

Ellison will most likely be the other starter with Spikes on the other side

If Spikes recovery has progressed enough, I think you are right. The Bills should know that soon.

They'll still probably want to draft for depth and the near future. I wouldn't count Willis out yet.

If Spikes recovery has progressed enough, I think you are right. The Bills should know that soon.

They'll still probably want to draft for depth and the near future. I wouldn't count Willis out yet.

but we're talking depth vs neccesity and I think RB is a greater NEED...may be?

could Fred Jackson be as important to hisunit as Crowell/Ellison/Youboty are to theirs?

who really knows where the need is anymore!!

I am thinking more like Posluszny!!!! :devil: in round 2. (Okoye in round 1, Leonard in round 3)

I am thinking more like Posluszny!!!! :devil: in round 2. (Okoye in round 1, Leonard in round 3)

If your polish LB buddy lasts to the Bills 2nd round pick, it would be a great pick. Unfortunately for the Bills, that just is NOT going to happen. If they want Pos, they should trade down and pick him in the mid-to-late 1st, IMO. (OR package one of their thirds and second and make him the team's second 1st round pick.)

If your polish LB buddy lasts to the Bills 2nd round pick, it would be a great pick. Unfortunately for the Bills, that just is NOT going to happen. If they want Pos, they should trade down and pick him in the mid-to-late 1st, IMO. (OR package one of their thirds and second and make him the team's second 1st round pick.)

Ok then, it's settled...

Round 1a - Okoye

Round 1b - Posluszny!!!! :devil:

Round 3 -- Leonard

19 and 0 baby!!! :worthy:

the problem with your theory of poz as late 1 is updated projections have him ahead of timmons going 14 ,after patrick willis and poszluny ,the lbs prospects are filled with holes, theres likely to be some good ones,, bradley,okum,timmons,everett ,beason? but the nearest thing to a garunteed starter are those two.

the problem with your theory of poz as late 1 is updated projections have him ahead of timmons going 14 ,after patrick willis and poszluny ,the lbs prospects are filled with holes, theres likely to be some good ones,, bradley,okum,timmons,everett ,beason? but the nearest thing to a garunteed starter are those two.

I also think there is a chance of Poz going fairly early. But, I'd been hearing rumors of his projected draft position sliding, as of late. I think we can leave The Senator with some hope of a mid-late 1st round possibility, but disabuse him of his 2nd round dream.

Bills | Crowell most likely to replace Fletcher-Baker

Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:31:41 -0700

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills LB Angelo Crowell is the odds-on favorite to replace LB London Fletcher-Baker (Redskins) in the middle of the Bills' defense. His teammates believe Crowell will certainly fill the leadership void left by Fletcher-Baker

i guess the MLB spot is already pretty much solved.

It'll be interesting to see who comes off the board 1st for us this draft. It's been posted here that we don't need shutdown type corners (bye-bye NC...enter Youboty, Greer, Thomas). This post suggests our MLB is on the roster already in AC. We've added 3 OL thru FA, you have to believe this position is not a high priority if a priority at all. Don't need a QB. By all accounts don't need a WR. You're set at safety. We hear Royal is satisfactory, though I'd like to see a more dynamic threat. Schobel is anchored on one side with a platoon of Kelsay/Denney. There are #'s at the DT position, though I'd contend we could be more stout.

RB appears to be the biggest need, no? I'm just not thrilled with selecting one at #12. I would take one if there was something else in it for us, that being another pick thru a trade down. DT and LB would be the next area of concern.

I'd like to get inside the heads of our decision makers and see what THEY perceive to be our area(s) of greatest need and just how they plan on addressing them. Will the first couple of picks represent what they perceive to be greatest need or are they selecting best available?

I can't wait to find out.

I don't think the Bills draft anyone on day one that they don't expect to come in and play/start early in the season. If they are looking at a position for depth, it will probably come on day 2

Good observation. :devil:

Whatever the position, they're looking for immediate impact, IMO.

I'd like to get inside the heads of our decision makers and see what THEY perceive to be our area(s) of greatest need and just how they plan on addressing them. Will the first couple of picks represent what they perceive to be greatest need or are they selecting best available?

I can't wait to find out.

I'm a firm believer that pretty much all good NFL GMs pick the best available value player at a need position for the team. That is, there are going to be some positions they aren't even considering, so an available player at that position is NOT the best available as he doesn't add value to the team. Also, you have to consider who else may be available later in the draft. For example, let's say there is one great DT and the rest are not of the quality the team wants/can live with. Now, let's say there is one equally great RB, but there are two more really good RBs and a few more who may be quite good, as well who will available later in the draft. In this case the DT's value might be much higher than the RB to a team, even though their "objective quality" is equal.

When judging "best available", it just HAS TO be analyzed through the subjective filter of the team's needs and the draft's strengths and weaknesses. My example and explanation are very simplified, I know. It's more complex than that.

Okoye probably will go in the top 10 but I hope he slips to 12. Posluszny more likely will go in the mid to late first round. I could see him being a Levy pick. He talks a lot about moving down in the 87' draft and picking Shane Conlan. Poz has some of the same qualities.

I'm a firm believer that pretty much all good NFL GMs pick the best available value player at a need position for the team. That is, there are going to be some positions they aren't even considering, so an available player at that position is NOT the best available as he doesn't add value to the team. Also, you have to consider who else may be available later in the draft. For example, let's say there is one great DT and the rest are not of the quality the team wants/can live with. Now, let's say there is one equally great RB, but there are two more really good RBs and a few more who may be quite good, as well who will available later in the draft. In this case the DT's value might be much higher than the RB to a team, even though their "objective quality" is equal.

When judging "best available", it just HAS TO be analyzed through the subjective filter of the team's needs and the draft's strengths and weaknesses. My example and explanation are very simplified, I know. It's more complex than that.

Well put. I would agree that a "successful" draft strategy would run, generally speaking, on this premise of "best available". Having said that, RB though a need, is not what we're targeting in round 1. Or at least not with our first selection. I think it's very real ML might just do another trade up into the 1st round much like last year and perhaps scoop up Lynch. Should Peterson fall to us, does he represent the best available VALUE to the Bills? Take him or trade out?