Marv showed that character and chemistry are important

It's pretty well known that Marv values the character/chemistry virtues but the speed aspect hasn't been recognized nearly as much. Last year Marv drafted speed and the holdovers from TD's era at the skilled positions posess speed as well. Keeping Evans was a no brainer but Rosco's role even increased under Levy. If that wasn't enough of an indicator, then bringing back Price and hanging on to Andre Davis only reinforces this theory. Marv has consistently kept or obtained speed on both sides of the ball. I don't know who Marv is going to draft, nor where, but I do expect it to be one of the faster players at his position come day one of the draft. Based on thinking this, it makes me wonder if CB Leon Hall does become more of a reality for us with our first pick.

You know the old saying.... "you can't teach speed!"

Speed is definitely an important asset when running the cover 2 defense, however this is not the case when it comes to the CB position. I honestly hope that Hall isn't even on Buffalo's radar when their pick comes up.

It's pretty well known that Marv values the character/chemistry virtues but the speed aspect hasn't been recognized nearly as much. Last year Marv drafted speed and the holdovers from TD's era at the skilled positions posess speed as well. Keeping Evans was a no brainer but Rosco's role even increased under Levy. If that wasn't enough of an indicator, then bringing back Price and hanging on to Andre Davis only reinforces this theory. Marv has consistently kept or obtained speed on both sides of the ball. I don't know who Marv is going to draft, nor where, but I do expect it to be one of the faster players at his position come day one of the draft. Based on thinking this, it makes me wonder if CB Leon Hall does become more of a reality for us with our first pick.

Good point, but why would that lead you to pick out Hall? He had good times, but like you said, it could be a faster player in any position (with enough talent to warrant a 1st round pick). As far as CB's go, Houston had the best time with 4.32. Patrick Willis had the best ILB times with 4.50. Okoye had a sub 5, which is quick for a DT.

I agree we'll target speedy players, but I don't think that helps narrow anything down.

I don't want Hall neither, all I said was maybe he becomes more of a reality for us. The best available athlete is probably going to be who we choose if we don't trade back. I just think that the players that were mentioned will be gone by the time we pick and that CB is a concern. If that is the case and it's not Hall then maybe it will be Houston. If RB, LB, DT and CB are going to be our concerns, then I'm expecting Peterson, Willis and Akoye to be gone by the time we pick. This would leave Lynch, Hall and Houston as viable choices. The only other position that could be tempting would be WR. If that were true then Ginn would be the choice. I do think that there is enough quality WRs on the board for us to take in a later round though. I also feel that this A-Train may allow us to consider a compliment RB with one of our 3rd rd. picks. A fast CB is starting to make sense to me but what do I know. Thoughts?

I don't want Hall neither, all I said was maybe he becomes more of a reality for us. The best available athlete is probably going to be who we choose if we don't trade back. I just think that the players that were mentioned will be gone by the time we pick and that CB is a concern. If that is the case and it's not Hall then maybe it will be Houston. If RB, LB, DT and CB are going to be our concerns, then I'm expecting Peterson, Willis and Akoye to be gone by the time we pick. This would leave Lynch, Hall and Houston as viable choices. The only other position that could be tempting would be WR. If that were true then Ginn would be the choice. I do think that there is enough quality WRs on the board for us to take in a later round though. I also feel that this A-Train may allow us to consider a compliment RB with one of our 3rd rd. picks. A fast CB is starting to make sense to me but what do I know. Thoughts?

A fast corner is good, but i'd rather have one that had more fluid hip movement

In that scenario, he probably would become more of a reality for us....but I think would be an unfortunate reality.

If both Okoye and Willis are gone by pick 12, and none of the other top talents slide down the board, I will be very disappointed.

If Okoya, Willis, Branch, and Peterson are all gone when the Bills pick, I would hope they trade down picking up extra picks and taking Pozluskey in the 1st.

I don't know about everybody else but the more I read and hear about Branch, the more he is less appealing. I believe Marv is looking for highly motivated players and the reports lately on Branch haven't been too favorable. As it stands right now is if the Bills were to take Branch or Hall I think I would actually feel alittle disappointed.

I believe that since the Bills are heading full steam to the cover 2 defense, that Hall is not even on the Bills board. The Bills will probably draft a guy like Hughes in the second or a CB in the third that is more of a read and react than a lockdown type of corner. I think all signs are pointing to either Peterson or Lynch given their need at RB and the #12 position. I think Jaroun's talk of A Train (no matter how much he likes him) being part of a RB by comittee is nothing but them throwing out a smokescreen for teams that are looking to trade up in front of the Bills to get either Peterson or Lynch.

Speed is definitely an important asset when running the cover 2 defense, however this is not the case when it comes to the CB position. I honestly hope that Hall isn't even on Buffalo's radar when their pick comes up.

That's what they say...but, a lot of people seem to be making a living off the effort. Here's an example:

http://www.athleticquickness.com/

You make a very good point. Cover 2 defenses are predicated on speed, just look at Chicago, Tampa or Indy. They all have that in common. Often they take speedy players at the cost of large players, but it seems to be working out for them. Here I am going to point out how much I hate the phrase "stopping the run with numbers" and move on to my next point. TD routinely ignored speed when drafting players. Sure, there were exceptions(lee, roscoe), but often his drafts were perplexing(Duke Preston, Tim Anderson to name a few). Speed is not everything but its a good starting point especially when teamed with good character.

As far as hall being on buffalos radar, I dont want us to pick him, but if we do Im confident hes gonna be a player. Why? Because Big 10(and most specifically Michigan and for the most part OSU ) CBs almost never bust. In most years getting the unanimously rated number 1 corner at pick 12 is considered a steal. Also, hall is not a glitzy glamour boy CB pick like Champ Bailey, Terrence Newman, DeAngelo Hall, PacMan Jones, so people tend to shy away from it. Ill take a big ol michigan corner any day(woodson/ty law) over somebody who likes to "make it rain".

Having said that, if one were to refer to my other posts they will clearly see I am not in favor of drafting Hall at 12 because I feel we have more pressing needs, but if we do I feel as though we've obtained a solid player.

A fast corner is good, but i'd rather have one that had more fluid hip movement

Agreed.