A RB in Every Round:

Astrobot

I did this recently with LB's, and I'm doing it with RB's here. Hopefully this will stimulate some discussion and even perhaps patience if Levy doesn't draft Lynch or Peterson in RD#1.

Round 1: PETERSON. -- Peterson is taller, faster, heavier, and a year older (though he and Lynch are Juniors) Missed 10 games in 3 years. Patient. Wonderful off blocks and making the most of a little gap. A very competent blocker, and is excellent at selling the fake in play-action. Both Lynch (3 games in 3 years) and Peterson (10 games in 3 years, collarbone for 6 last year, 4 with an ankle as a sophomore) have been injured.

Round 2: BUSH. --Bush (Louisville) and Leonard (Rutgers) are the running backs who will be drafted in the 2nd round. Bush would have been a top 3 pick this year if not for his injury. After rushing for 23 touchdowns in 2005 and being NCAA 2005 scoring champion, Bush broke his leg in the first 2006 game against Kentucky. When he left that game, he already had 128 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 17 carries. Bush is first in Div 1A in TD's with 41 (Leonard is #2 with 40).

Round 3: HUNT. --Tony Hunt (Penn State) 2,794 yards rushing and 30 touchdowns in his career, Hunt also has 3 INT's as a DB. He is a good all-purpose back, with 87 catches for 792 yards (9.1 avg.) and three scores. He returned eight kickoffs for 112 yards (14.0 avg.). What you lose with Hunt is breakaway ability, but get it back with his vision and balance. He is excellent at cutting back. He can also set up defenders (or even set up our offensive blocks) with his moves. Irons and Pittman will likely go in this round, and are attractive in their own right. The two of them, and possibly AZ's Chris Henry, will be gone by RD#4's pick. Those three were the fastest at the combine in the 20 yard dash.

Round 4: WYNN. --I'm taking bruisers in Bush, Hunt, and Wynn in the 2-3-4 rounds. Lorenzo Booker (Fla St.), Pittman (Ohio State), and Brandon Jackson (Nebraska). Lo-Book and Wynn are the RB's with the fastest burst in the draft. Lo-Book is 5'10", 191. Wynn is 5'10" 232. Yet they have remarkably similar 20-yard dash times, which I put great stock in. Think back to physics when they talked about momentum. That's DeShawn Wynn. Some mocks have Brandon Jackson slipping later (Rounds 5-7), where he'd be a real deal.

Round 6: HENRY. --Now, in the later rounds, I'm taking speed. Chris Henry (AZ) and Garrett Wolfe (No Illinois) are expected to be there, along with Dwayne Wright (Fresno St.) and some FB's (Virginia's Jason Snelling is one of the FB's, but get this: Chris Henry is 230 lbs, and so is Snelling. The difference is raw speed--Henry's 4.4 is sideline-to-sideline scary fast. The agile Wolfe is a decent choice, too; he's the leader in the cone drills (although some haven't had their pro day yet). I watched Wright and Wolfe in some games this year, and we're still getting a quality back. Although tested against lesser competition, their combine numbers are super.

Round 7 (Pick 2): RACE. --Germaine Race is from Pittsburg State, a Division II school. Germaine is merely the most prolific scorer in the history of college football, having scored 634 points in 51 career games. He is also 2nd in NCAA Division II all-time rush yards. Rushed for 1452 yards this year. He scores 12.2 points per game.

Round 7 (Pick 2): BRADSHAW. --No, not Terry. Ahmad. Ahmad Bradshaw (Marshall) was 6th in RB's last year, with 1,523 yards. He caught 56 balls, so think all-purpose yards. His 129 rushing yards a game was impressive. His combine results put him 2nd best in the short shuttle and cone drills, so he's a darter.

Compliments of AstroBot

Your Draft Droid

If Tony Hunt can play DB, that clinches it.

No, seriously, I'd rather go defense with the first pick of our draft, assuming it's a first rounder which I think is probable.

Going RB in the 2nd-3rd round would be nice. Be nice to trade back into the 2nd after our first pick to grab a back who's capable of carrying 20+ times a game. Brian Leonard would be nice, but Michael Bush would be better.

For some reason I like Antonio Pittman from OH St. Not a big guy but he'll put on weight and has very good speed. Might be available in the 3rd.

But I must admit Chris Henry from Arizona is an intriguing option in the 5th-6th round. Anyone who weighs 230 and has 4.4 speed is worth a shot. But I suspect Buffalo will only select 1 RB in the 2007 draft.

Who knows. So much can happen in the next 40 days.

I did this recently with LB's, and I'm doing it with RB's here. Hopefully this will stimulate some discussion and even perhaps patience if Levy doesn't draft Lynch or Peterson in RD#1.

Round 1: PETERSON. -- Peterson is taller, faster, heavier, and a year older (though he and Lynch are Juniors) Missed 10 games in 3 years. Patient. Wonderful off blocks and making the most of a little gap. A very competent blocker, and is excellent at selling the fake in play-action. Both Lynch (3 games in 3 years) and Peterson (10 games in 3 years, collarbone for 6 last year, 4 with an ankle as a sophomore) have been injured.

Round 2: BUSH. --Bush (Louisville) and Leonard (Rutgers) are the running backs who will be drafted in the 2nd round. Bush would have been a top 3 pick this year if not for his injury. After rushing for 23 touchdowns in 2005 and being NCAA 2005 scoring champion, Bush broke his leg in the first 2006 game against Kentucky. When he left that game, he already had 128 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 17 carries. Bush is first in Div 1A in TD's with 41 (Leonard is #2 with 40).

Round 3: HUNT. --Tony Hunt (Penn State) 2,794 yards rushing and 30 touchdowns in his career, Hunt also has 3 INT's as a DB. He is a good all-purpose back, with 87 catches for 792 yards (9.1 avg.) and three scores. He returned eight kickoffs for 112 yards (14.0 avg.). What you lose with Hunt is breakaway ability, but get it back with his vision and balance. He is excellent at cutting back. He can also set up defenders (or even set up our offensive blocks) with his moves. Irons and Pittman will likely go in this round, and are attractive in their own right. The two of them, and possibly AZ's Chris Henry, will be gone by RD#4's pick. Those three were the fastest at the combine in the 20 yard dash.

Round 4: WYNN. --I'm taking bruisers in Bush, Hunt, and Wynn in the 2-3-4 rounds. Lorenzo Booker (Fla St.), Pittman (Ohio State), and Brandon Jackson (Nebraska). Lo-Book and Wynn are the RB's with the fastest burst in the draft. Lo-Book is 5'10", 191. Wynn is 5'10" 232. Yet they have remarkably similar 20-yard dash times, which I put great stock in. Think back to physics when they talked about momentum. That's DeShawn Wynn. Some mocks have Brandon Jackson slipping later (Rounds 5-7), where he'd be a real deal.

Round 6: HENRY. --Now, in the later rounds, I'm taking speed. Chris Henry (AZ) and Garrett Wolfe (No Illinois) are expected to be there, along with Dwayne Wright (Fresno St.) and some FB's (Virginia's Jason Snelling is one of the FB's, but get this: Chris Henry is 230 lbs, and so is Snelling. The difference is raw speed--Henry's 4.4 is sideline-to-sideline scary fast. The agile Wolfe is a decent choice, too; he's the leader in the cone drills (although some haven't had their pro day yet). I watched Wright and Wolfe in some games this year, and we're still getting a quality back. Although tested against lesser competition, their combine numbers are super.

Round 7 (Pick 2): RACE. --Germaine Race is from Pittsburg State, a Division II school. Germaine is merely the most prolific scorer in the history of college football, having scored 634 points in 51 career games. He is also 2nd in NCAA Division II all-time rush yards. Rushed for 1452 yards this year. He scores 12.2 points per game.

Round 7 (Pick 2): BRADSHAW. --No, not Terry. Ahmad. Ahmad Bradshaw (Marshall) was 6th in RB's last year, with 1,523 yards. He caught 56 balls, so think all-purpose yards. His 129 rushing yards a game was impressive. His combine results put him 2nd best in the short shuttle and cone drills, so he's a darter.

Compliments of AstroBot

Your Draft Droid

round three is the way to go. Hunt will be the real deal, just look at how he did at the senior bowl among his fellow soon-to-be NFL players.

If Tony Hunt can play DB, that clinches it.

No, seriously, I'd rather go defense with the first pick of our draft, assuming it's a first rounder which I think is probable.

Going RB in the 2nd-3rd round would be nice. Be nice to trade back into the 2nd after our first pick to grab a back who's capable of carrying 20+ times a game. Brian Leonard would be nice, but Michael Bush would be better.

For some reason I like Antonio Pittman from OH St. Not a big guy but he'll put on weight and has very good speed. Might be available in the 3rd.

But I must admit Chris Henry from Arizona is an intriguing option in the 5th-6th round. Anyone who weighs 230 and has 4.4 speed is worth a shot. But I suspect Buffalo will only select 1 RB in the 2007 draft.

Who knows. So much can happen in the next 40 days.

i dont think Bush or Leonard are your guys to carry it 20+ times a game.

i dont think Bush or Leonard are your guys to carry it 20+ times a game.

Sure, I agree...Leonard may not be an every down type back. And Bush has those injury concerns. But I'm sure Jacksonville didn't envision Jones-Drew or Indy with Addai being the same. Both were the complement to an established NFL veteran.

But yeah, at this point neither looks to be consistent backs. I like Leonard's work ethic, but so many have said that his insistence on being a RB and not a FB scares teams. Bush is a between the tackles guy with injury problems. Probably not a good combination.

Hunt or Pittman would do fine.

Bush may be big - but he is no bruiser.

He is top heavy and has no balance.

Pass

I would hope the Bills wait to see who falls to the 3rd round. Pittman would not be a bad target. has better speed than Hunt.

I think Booker and Brandon Jackson could be a good fit in a committee approach in the late 3rd or 4th round.

It's possible that Hunt rises into the 2nd Round, but not all the way up to where we're picking. We could probably trade down in the 2nd and still take Hunt, netting a late 3rd or early 4th Rounder.

It's possible that Hunt rises into the 2nd Round, but not all the way up to where we're picking. We could probably trade down in the 2nd and still take Hunt, netting a late 3rd or early 4th Rounder.

nope, just stay put and grab him. sorry but i dont care much for "draft value" talk, unless its an extreme case.

if we get Willis or Okoye in the 1st, that would probbly mean that in the 2nd, Hunt will be the best left at a position of need.

especially if something crazy happens and Bush (or any 3rd RB) goes in the late 1st, that makes all the RBs jump up in value

I think there are multiple reasons to take Pittman. First, he'll be available in the 2nd, if not the 3rd. Second, he's got some room to grow into his frame. Third, he comes from a large program. Now, of those three reasons, the least important is the last. Just playing in a big program doesn't equate into NFL success. But at least he's got experience in big games (e.g. Michigan each season) His downside is a lack of contribution to the passing game.

I like Brandon Jackson as well, perhaps in the early second. Depends on how whether or not the Bills would like to use their 2nd on a RB. He's ahead of Pittman in the strength category but hasn't carried the load at Nebraska. Still, an intriguing pick.

Can someone tell me why they want to take a RB with the 12th pick? We have more important holes to fill on the defense.

i agree and wouldnt want to take a RB at 12 unless Peterson fell to us. and even then, i wouldnt be upset if we just passed him by like we did Leinhert last year and grabbed Willis.

i WOULD be a bit peeved if we passed him by for a CB though.