Greatest All Time : Running Backs

Yeah, we've done this before on this board I'm sure. Times change, some people are saying LT might be the greatest ever.

I'm sure most of these guys are on your list. Who shouldn't be on this list? Who should? Who's the greatest? In order.

Jim Brown

Barry Sanders

LaDainian Tomlinson

Walter Payton

Emmitt Smith

Gale Sayers

O.J. Simpson

Eric Dickerson

Earl Campbell

Marcus Allen

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we've done this before on this board I'm sure. Times change, some people are saying LT might be the greatest ever.

I'm sure most of these guys are on your list. Who shouldn't be on this list? Who should? Who's the greatest? In order.

Jim Brown

Barry Sanders

LaDainian Tomlinson

Walter Payton

Emmitt Smith

Gale Sayers

O.J. Simpson

Eric Dickerson

Earl Campbell

Marcus Allen

Change the order a bit ...........Here's mine:

Jim Brown,

Barry Sanders

Walter Payton

Earl Campbell

O.J. Simpson

L. Tomlinson

(Emmit Smith, Gale Sayers, Eric Dickerson, Marcus Allen are interchange able. Each brought a lot to the table.)

And......barring catastrophe, I see Tomlinson moving up as high as 4th all time.

Change the order a bit ...........Here's mine:

Jim Brown,

Barry Sanders

Walter Payton

Earl Campbell

O.J. Simpson

L. Tomlinson

(Emmit Smith, Gale Sayers, Eric Dickerson, Marcus Allen are interchange able. Each brought a lot to the table.)

And......barring catastrophe, I see Tomlinson moving up as high as 4th all time.

agree with most of that but no marshal faulk i think he should be right after lt and in front of emmit thats imo though.

Walter Payton

OJ Simpson

Barry Sanders

Jim Brown

Eric Dickerson

Gale Sayers

LaDanian Tomlinson

Earl Campbell

Marshall Faulk

Joe Cribbs!!!!/Thurman Thomas!!!

-Jim Brown is number 4 because of the athletes he played against.

-Emmitt Smith is not on the list because of his offensive line. Tough to tell how good he really was.

Jim Brown

Barry Sanders

LaDainian Tomlinson

Walter Payton

Emmitt Smith

Gale Sayers

O.J. Simpson

Eric Dickerson

Earl Campbell

Marcus Allen

I'd agree with this except you forgot Thurman Thomas.

Walter Payton

OJ Simpson

Barry Sanders

Jim Brown

Eric Dickerson

Gale Sayers

LaDanian Tomlinson

Earl Campbell

Marshall Faulk

Joe Cribbs!!!!/Thurman Thomas!!!

-Jim Brown is number 4 because of the athletes he played against.

-Emmitt Smith is not on the list because of his offensive line. Tough to tell how good he really was.

Nagurski, Van Buren, Motley??????

Too early on Tomlinson. I love Thurman and think Faulk is great but neither is top 10, not even sure Sanders is either.

Payton, Sayers, Brown, Simpson, Nagurski, Van Buren, Motley, Campbell are easily the top 8. After that Come some of these other guys, and can be debated.

Nagurski, Van Buren, Motley??????

Too early on Tomlinson. I love Thurman and think Faulk is great but neither is top 10, not even sure Sanders is either.

Payton, Sayers, Brown, Simpson, Nagurski, Van Buren, Motley, Campbell are easily the top 8. After that Come some of these other guys, and can be debated.

Sanders is arguably the most exciting RB to have played the game. His numbers, durability, etc., all say he is a clear "All Time Great".

As for Thurman, he would be my all-time favorite, and may well deserve to be listed instead of Eric Dickerson and Marcus Allen, my bad.....

1. Barry Sanders

2. Barry Sanders

3. Barry Sanders

4. Barry Sanders

5. Barry Sanders

6. Barry Sanders

7. Barry Sanders

8. Barry Sanders

9. Barry Sanders

10. Thurman Thomas

Hummm, that clearly states your position....

I guess so! because barry sanders is the all time greatest rb

I think Sanders was good, but i think a lot of people are misled by his stats.

All too often, Sanders would go down for losses too many times in a game and was not a consistant runner. He would make up for his inconsistency by ripping off a long run thus boosting his stats. Am i saying he was bad? No. I'm saying that he was more of a highlight reel player than a solid every down back that could control the football game.

Jim Brown played in the AFL when there were 8 teams, and plus he had a team around him, What did Barry Sanders have around him? He was the Detroit Lions.

8 teams means EVERYBODY was good. Higher standards. Of course modern atheletes are better conditioned etc. but he was easily the best of his era and I think that's what you should go by. He was better in his own era than anyone else has ever been in the others.

I think Sanders was good, but i think a lot of people are misled by his stats.

All too often, Sanders would go down for losses too many times in a game and was not a consistant runner. He would make up for his inconsistency by ripping off a long run thus boosting his stats. Am i saying he was bad? No. I'm saying that he was more of a highlight reel player than a solid every down back that could control the football game.

you got to remember he played for the detroit lions ok. he never had a line in detroit, he never even had a good qb to hand off the ball to him. the only thing he had was his fast legs, and if people complain willis mcgahee didn't have a line, he had a better line then what detroit had back then. but mcgahee is to slow to hit the wholes

1. Tim Tindale (Att. 19; Yds 64; Rec. 5 Yds 104)

2. Darrick Holmes

3. Yonel Jourdain

4. Antowain Smith

5. Lennox Gordon

6. Eddie Fuller

7. Joe Burns

8. Ken Simonton

9. Shawn Bryson

10. Jonathan Linton

Easily the top ten greatest running backs in the history of the NFL! Remember Tindale's TD run against Miami in the playoffs, a thing of beauty! :worthy:

1. Jim Brown

2. Walter Payton

3. OJ Simpson

4. Eric Dickerson

5. Barry Sanders

6. Ladainian Tomlinson

7. Marshall Faulk

8. Marcus Allen

9. Emmit Smith

10. Thurman Thomas

On a related note I believe if Tiki Barber had started earlier in his career he would be in this discussion. His numbers the last 5 years rush/rec are outstanding, but insufficent none the less to qualify.