How long will it take for the new OL to gel?

We have 2, possibly 3 new starters on the OLine for 2007. How long do you guys predict before they become solid?

Barring any major injuries it would take until mid-season to see them get solid and working together. That assumes we find the right combination in pre-season and stick with them.

After a year together they will get better and really start to jell as a unit.

Barring any major injuries it would take until mid-season to see them get solid and working together. That assumes we find the right combination in pre-season and stick with them.

After a year together they will get better and really start to jell as a unit.

Even at that, they will be better than last year, much better if Walker can play on the right side.

In the NFL, teams are great at exploiting weaknesses, and Gandy was blown up on WAY too many passing downs. I also think that there are rookies who will be able to do a better job at RG than CV, who was brutal to watch on both running and passing downs.

The good news is that injuries aside, Peters will almost certainly continue to improve and provide solid blind side protection for a Bills QB, something unheard of in Buffalo. Dockery is an instant upgrade, and these guys will give us a solid left side.

It might take them a while to play to their full potential as a unit, but I am thinking that we will notice an upgrade very soon, probably the first time they take the field.

We have 2, possibly 3 new starters on the OLine for 2007. How long do you guys predict before they become solid?

They will strugle in pass protection at first.run blocking should come along quicker.they should gell by the 4th week.

Even at that, they will be better than last year, much better if Walker can play on the right side.

In the NFL, teams are great at exploiting weaknesses, and Gandy was blown up on WAY too many passing downs. I also think that there are rookies who will be able to do a better job at RG than CV, who was brutal to watch on both running and passing downs.

The good news is that injuries aside, Peters will almost certainly continue to improve and provide solid blind side protection for a Bills QB, something unheard of in Buffalo. Dockery is an instant upgrade, and these guys will give us a solid left side.

It might take them a while to play to their full potential as a unit, but I am thinking that we will notice an upgrade very soon, probably the first time they take the field.

Agreed. Yet, I still have a problem figuring out the reasons for signing Walker, who frankly darned near got his QB's in Oakland killed. Statistically, he was putrid. 25 mil for 10 1/2 sacks? Certainly hope this turns out well, but it reminds me of the Panos and Villerial pickups that didn't work. Injuires to both contributed to their failures, but they never were impressive none the less.

Agreed. Yet, I still have a problem figuring out the reasons for signing Walker, who frankly darned near got his QB's in Oakland killed. Statistically, he was putrid. 25 mil for 10 1/2 sacks? Certainly hope this turns out well, but it reminds me of the Panos and Villerial pickups that didn't work. Injuires to both contributed to their failures, but they never were impressive none the less.

That's over 2 million per sack !! Who says Ralph don't have money to burn.

who knows. when the coaches made the change during the bye week (last year) it seemed to come together pretty quickly. Hopefully with an off season of group workouts and good coaching (not to mention better players) it won't take too long.

I am convinced that the apparent improvement of the OL after the bye was a bit of an illusion. Sure, Peters protected JPL better than Gandy did but overall(& the stats back this up) the sacks kept coming at a similar rate & the running game still struggled(particularly in short yardage).

The playcalling changed after mid season which dramatically effected how the offence looked in relation to the passing game. More 3 step drops, the allowing of JPL to use his legs, more shotgun & hurry up(?).....all of this contributed to more point on the board & more yardage gained.....and made the OL look a bit better.....but overall they performed at a below average level in similar vein to pre mid season.

The major attempts to upgrade the OL this off season I feel back up my views on how the OL was performing in the second half of the season. As this thread put forward.....3 new starters!