To anyone in NYC

JoeFerguson

I am headed to LaGuardia tonight scheduled to depart Buffalo at 5:05 pm. As of now, my flight is the only one going to LaGuardia that doesn't have a "Delayed" or "Cancelled" status. Rather than sitting at the airport for 5 hours waiting for my flight to leave, maybe I should just drive. Under normal circumstances driving wouldn't worry me, but the Weather Channel has got me believing that the entire city is about to freeze over.

Are these Weather Channel bozos getting their panties in a bunch and blowing it out of proportion, or is the weather really that bad? Would I be a fool to consider driving into the storm?

I am headed to LaGuardia tonight scheduled to depart Buffalo at 5:05 pm. As of now, my flight is the only one going to LaGuardia that doesn't have a "Delayed" or "Cancelled" status. Rather than sitting at the airport for 5 hours waiting for my flight to leave, maybe I should just drive. Under normal circumstances driving wouldn't worry me, but the Weather Channel has got me believing that the entire city is about to freeze over.

Are these Weather Channel bozos getting their panties in a bunch and blowing it out of proportion, or is the weather really that bad? Would I be a fool to consider driving into the storm?

It is pretty messy here (I'm in downtown NYC). Its supposed to be like this all day (sleet, frozen rain mix). I would not recommend driving, especially as it gets darker. Leave it for tomorrow if you have to drive and the roads are cleaned up, or for a rescheduled flight.

It has been sleeting here in the city all day...apparently very treacherous. And north of the city anywhere from 1"-12" depending on how far from the coast you get. My boss just told me that his wife slid off the road with their sick 3 yo in the car in Westchester. Probably not the best day to drive.

If you are staying in NYC fly and use mass transit...subways are your best friend during times when the roads in NYC are bad.

It is actually going to be getting worse as the night goes on. It is pretty crappy out there right now. It is like shards of glass falling from the sky, but I think as the day goes on, the ice/rain mixture will turn to snow. I wouldn't recommend driving at all and would role the dice on your plane not being delayed.

well my flight was cancelled. I'm driving.

Don't worry, I have places I can crash along the way (no pun intended).

I hear it's pretty bad with horizontal sleet & snow in northern NJ. I'm guessing you'll be coming through PA, which is probably worse. Driveable? Depends on your driving skills and fear factor.

I hear it's pretty bad with horizontal sleet & snow in northern NJ. I'm guessing you'll be coming through PA, which is probably worse. Driveable? Depends on your driving skills and fear factor.

In case anyone is curious, I drove from Buffalo to Mountaintop, PA (just South of Scranton on 81) on Friday night. A trip that normally would take me about 4.5 hours took about 6.5. Then I got up at 6 on Saturday morning and drove to Brooklyn.

I just returned from New York. Throughout the weekend I continued to try and call US Airways, but I couldn't even get into their switchboard. All I kept getting was a busy signal. I can't imagine how pissed I would be right now if I had gone to the airport on Friday.

Anyway the drive wasn't that bad because the visibility was fine. There was a lot of snow on the ground so for a good portion of the trip I was going 40 mph on the interstate, but really it was manageable.

Thanks again to everyone who replied to the thread on Friday.