Who is the best bill you ever met?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1989, I was living in the dorms at SUNY Morrisville. My roommate told me that his uncle was coming to pick him up and take him home for the weekend. A knock on my door and standing there is the largest person I had ever seen, Howard Ballard. He was really cool and friendly. When he shook my (comparatively tiny) hand, we shared a moment where we both knew that the Bills were about to lose four consecutive super bowls.

Bruce and Thurman a few times after games at the Big Tree

Al Bemiller used to do security in my section

Steve and Sarah Tasker in Canton in 2001 along with Metzelaars

a bunch of old time players in 99...got invites to Billy Shaw's induction reception

Anyone who saw the inductions that year may remember that he forgot to thank his wife...Eric Dickerson called him out on it...Pat, Billy's wife, stood up and shook her finger at Billy

Thing is....he almost forgot her a second time that day...he was leaving the reception after we were all talking for a while...she was still talking with me, Al Bemiller, Denny Lynch, and a few other people

Billy Shaw, for anyone who never met him, is in the dictionary under "class gentleman"

Also..met JP and Coy Wire last year when they were judging the 1st round of Jills tryouts...and T-Mac and Stamer at the Jills Congratulatory Party

can't forget Phil Hansen out in Canton...about a year after he retired...tried to talk him into coming back

well i only met terrence mcgee, jim kelly, and thurman thomas. but out of the three of them I think the best person I met was jim kelly, I met him last year when he maid an appearance at one of the day at training camp, it was the greatest day ever.

I met OJ Simpson, walking down the 2nd floor hallway at Lockport Memorial Hospital. He was alone, visiting kids in the hospital. He was dressed in a tailored 3-piece suit and I was surprised by how stocky and strong he seemed. I must have figured that anybody that fast could not carry that weight. I just said, "Hi, OJ!" He had a big smile and a big hello as he walked by.

He was a flat-out impressive human being, I thought, until years later I found out he is just another murderer.

In 1989, I was living in the dorms at SUNY Morrisville. My roommate told me that his uncle was coming to pick him up and take him home for the weekend. A knock on my door and standing there is the largest person I had ever seen, Howard Ballard. He was really cool and friendly. When he shook my (comparatively tiny) hand, we shared a moment where we both knew that the Bills were about to lose four consecutive super bowls.

So it's your fault for shaking his hand.

Best PLAYER? Definitely O.J. (four times) ... Best GUYS? Bobby Chandler (was nice as hell), Bob James (ditto), John Leypoldt (ditto), Butch Byrd (double-ditto), Mike Montler (neighbor), Jerry Butler (played hoops with us, humble, Christian, never acted like a guy who caught 4 TD passes in one NFL game), Dean "Superman" Cain (played touch football with us), Joe Dufek (same game of touch), Tom Sestak (neighbor, very nice man, I was his paper-boy as a kid), Ralph Wilson .... Yes, Ralph counts as a Bill! ... twice. Always stopped to talk, didn't act like he was rich. Ralph gets bonus points for being nice to Pop toward the end of his game-attending days when his health started to go. All that stuff you hear & read about him being a genuinely nice person isn't crap, it's true.