Mel Kiper's NEW big board

Several names have resurfaced on this week's Big Board, players who were fixtures in the top 25 during the 2006 season. The one player making his debut is USC senior wide receiver Steve Smith. He had a great combine workout and proved to be invaluable as a No. 2 receiver at USC.

My next first-round projection will come out March 13, once teams have had a chance to address needs in free agency.

Top 25 Big Board

1. Calvin Johnson*, WR, Georgia Tech (6-4, 225) | previous: Same

He's not only a tremendous athlete, but he's a hard worker and very team oriented. Based on the needs of the Raiders and Lions, Johnson might not be the No. 1 overall pick, but he won't fall out of the top five.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same

Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Adrian Peterson*, RB, Oklahoma (6-1½, 218) | previous: Same

The most talented running back in the draft with an excellent burst to the outside for his size. The concern with Peterson is his durability.

4. JaMarcus Russell*, QB, LSU (6-6, 260) | previous: 6

Big, strong signal caller with a powerful arm, and his decision-making improved significantly in 2006.

5. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: 7

Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn did throw two interceptions in the Sugar Bowl after throwing just one INT in his previous eight games.

6. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 5

Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career.

7. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville (6-1½, 298) | previous: 8

A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield.

8. Jamaal Anderson*, DE, Arkansas (6-5, 270) | previous: 4

A gifted athlete who is coming off an exceptional 2006 season. Anderson is a complete player, equally solid against the run and as a pass rusher.

9. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: Same

Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams led the Tigers with 10½ sacks and 15½ tackles for loss.

10. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: 16

Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage.

11. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 12

Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

12. Dwayne Jarrett*, WR, USC (6-4, 210) | previous: 15

Has the size and natural receiving skills to create mismatches against smaller cornerbacks. Jarrett also has better quickness out of his break than people give him credit for.

13. Greg Olsen*, Miami, TE (6-5, 254) | previous: 18

His performance at the combine should move Olsen up to the middle of the first round. Great hands and very athletic, Olsen reminds me of Baltimore Ravens tight end Todd Heap.

14. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-6, 298) | previous: 13

You don't see many defensive ends carrying 300 pounds who can move as well as Carriker.

15. Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU (6-2, 217) | previous: 14

Big and productive, Bowe runs excellent routes and has the toughness to catch the ball in traffic.

16. Marshawn Lynch*, RB, California (5-11, 224) | previous: 17

Complete big back, right on the heels of Adrian Peterson when it comes to who will be the top RB in the draft.

17. Steve Smith, WR, USC (5-11½, 198) | previous: Unranked

Sure-haneded and faster than advertised at the combine (4.44 40-yard dash). Smith is one of the best receivers at doing damage after the catch.

Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn (6-3, 300) | previous: 24

A versatile athlete who started his career at defensive tackle and then shifted to tight end. Grubbs brings a great deal of athletic ability to the interior of the offensive line.

19. Ted Ginn Jr.*, WR, Ohio State (5-11, 175) | previous: 10

Takes a backseat to no one in the speed department, brings a big-play dimension to the wide receiver position and also the return game.

20. Lawrence Timmons*, LB, Florida St. (6-2¼, 233) | previous: 11

Moves right to the top of a very subpar linebacking group, particularly from the senior class. Timmons' production and consistency from game to game are what jumps out at you.

Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee (6-4 ¼, 302) | previous: 24

Prior to going down with a season-ending injury (torn biceps), Harrell was performing at the level you would expect from a first-round draft pick.

22. Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi (6-2, 235) | previous: 20

Tackling machine with great football sense. Willis lead the Rebels with 137 tackles (87 solo).

23. Ryan Kalil, C, USC (6-3, 285) | previous: Unranked

Game improved dramatically thanks in part to facing great competition in practice.

24. Alan Branch*, DT, Michigan (6-5½, 328) | previous: 21

Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan (6-5½, 300) | previous: 24

He's a former tight end who has developed into a natural left tackle. Staley brings incredible footwork, athleticism and agility to the position.

Dropped

Charles Johnson*, DE, Georgia (6-2, 280) | previous: 19

Not only gifted from a pure talent standpoint, but he also has the work ethic to match. Johnson is active, alert and extremely productive.

Aaron Ross, CB, Texas (6-0½, 196) | previous: 22

An instinctive tackler who has excellent ball skills. Ross led the Longhorns in 2006 with six interceptions and broke up 19 passes. He also finished third on the team in tackles with 80.

Craig Davis, LSU, WR, LSU (6-1¼, 200) | previous: 23

Possesses outstanding speed (4.35 40-yard dash) to go along with his size. Davis was steady and reliable for most of his career, then took his game to a new level late in the season.

Robert Meachem*, WR, Tennessee (6-2½, 210) | previous: 24

Came through with a number of highlight-film plays in 2006. If he runs well at the combine, Meachem could elevate his status in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Reggie Nelson*, S, Florida (5-11½ 198) | previous: 25

Outstanding player who can hit like a safety and excel in coverage like a cornerback. That unique combination makes him a highly regarded prospect.

*-- Underclassman

That is the 1st so called "expert" who doesn't have Branch as the #1 rated DT in the draft. Instead Kiper has him 3rd among tackles? His mock draft should be coming out within the next few days, it'll be interesting to see what it looks like.

I find it surprising that he has Branch dropping that far after the combine...also, where is Revis, CB from Pitt

Jarrett is Mike Williams and JJ Stokes all over again

I always pay more attention to his board then his mock draft anyway and his updates after the combine are always the most telling

I think with the way FA has gone, I think our 1st pick will be Lynch or Hall

Agreed. Considering that the Bills have 8 DL under contract and only 1 RB and 3 CBs, I think it's safe to assume that DT will not be the first pick of the draft. Second round? Possibly.

I would even go as far as to say Willis won't be picked either. With Crowell moving to the middle, Spikes apparently hanging around and Ellison, they don't have an immediate need.

Of course, I'm always an advocate of taking the best player available, regardless of position, in the first round. That may well be Okoye at 12. Or, it may be Lynch, Peterson, Hall.

I don't expect the Bills to try to move up -- if anything, I would think they would move back.

22. Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi (6-2, 235) | previous: 20

Tackling machine with great football sense. Willis lead the Rebels with 137 tackles (87 solo).

move down grab another pick and draft Willis.

Agreed. Considering that the Bills have 8 DL under contract and only 1 RB and 3 CBs, I think it's safe to assume that DT will not be the first pick of the draft. Second round? Possibly.

I would even go as far as to say Willis won't be picked either. With Crowell moving to the middle, Spikes apparently hanging around and Ellison, they don't have an immediate need.

Of course, I'm always an advocate of taking the best player available, regardless of position, in the first round. That may well be Okoye at 12. Or, it may be Lynch, Peterson, Hall.

I don't expect the Bills to try to move up -- if anything, I would think they would move back.

I guess you're not a fan of Marv's draft last year then because they went opposite of that. Doesn't it make sense to address needs in the first and take best available later on the first day? I would hazard a guess that NC might still be here if they had gone needs with the Youboty/Simpson picks last year.

I hope they sign an older cb in FA, we need someone in the secondary that can help all the young players. Preferably someone who has experience in this defense and is good enough to compete for a starting job. I'm thinking they could also pull the trigger on L Brown in the first round if he can play RT. If that happens you'll definitely see robert royal catch some balls this year.

Jarrett is Mike Williams and JJ Stokes all over again

I always pay more attention to his board then his mock draft anyway and his updates after the combine are always the most telling

Than you will remember Mel Kiper had Mike Williams as his #1 prospect overall in the 2005 draft.