NOT ONE Projected starter is set to become a FA next year

jri111

I started thinking about who we had coming up in FA next year. It's always good to think ahead, especially for longevity sake. Although I would love nothing more for the Bills to win the Super Bowl, I always hope that if they ever did it they wouldn't be just a "flash in the pan" type thing (i.e. one and done). I would hope that they remain competitive. With that in mind I look at which player we have coming up in FA the next two years. The numbers are both encouraging and worrisome, Although I do think i'ts more encouraging then not. Here's a list of 2007 free agents complied from http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/20...ry_cap_page.php , so if they're wrong, i'm wrong, but i think it's a pretty accurate site.

Craig Ochs (QB)

Troy Woodbury (QB)

Sam Aiken (WR)

Daunta Peterson (WR)

Brad Cieslak (TE)

Matt Murphy (TE)

Ryan Neufeld (TE)

Eric Powell (DE)

Jason Jefferson (DT)

Mario Haggen (LB)

Roy Manning (LB)

Josh Stamer (LB)

Jim Leonhard (S)

There is not one starter in that group!! most of these guys are practice squad or wavier wire warriors too. The biggest back-ups we have hitting the open market are Cieslak, Haggen and Stamer! You have to believe that they would either come really cheap to re-sign if we wanted to or easily replaceable via the draft or free agency. That means if we can fill the majority of our holes this off-season, which I think we will, we'll be in excellent shape next year to both 1) fill the remaining needs we need and 2) extend other players that will become free agents the following year. This is good, especially when you look at the list for 2008 free agents:

Kelly Holcomb (QB)

JP Losman (QB)

Craig Nall (QB)

Fred Jackson (RB)

Shaud Williams (RB)

Roscoe Parrish (WR)

George Wilson (WR)

Kever Everett (TE)

Kirk Chambers (OL)

Aaron Merz (OL)

Duke Preston (OL)

Walter Stith (OL)

Ryan Niell (DE)

Angelo Crowell (LB)

John DiGirogio (LB)

Kevin Harrison (LB)

Takeo Spikes (LB)

Eric Bassey (CB)

granted it's 2 years away and the majority of these guys will probably be replaced or let go by then, just a few names are enough to worry though: Losman, Parrish, Crowell (and some key backups: Nall, Preston, Merz). Also I "THINK" Evans has an option year or something which would make him a 2009 free agent, but i'm not sure on that. If not he'd also be on this list...

Overall though, I really think the future looks bright. We have a core of very young but talented players and Marv is making all the right moves to fill in the vacancies. It's apperant that he's building a team that can endure for the long run and that, more than anything, makes me excited for 2007 and beyond!

I'm actually mostly encouraged by that list. We should be pretty well off for the next couple of years as long as JP and Evans are locked up.

I started thinking about who we had coming up in FA next year. It's always good to think ahead, especially for longevity sake. Although I would love nothing more for the Bills to win the Super Bowl, I always hope that if they ever did it they wouldn't be just a "flash in the pan" type thing (i.e. one and done). I would hope that they remain competitive. With that in mind I look at which player we have coming up in FA the next two years. The numbers are both encouraging and worrisome, Although I do think i'ts more encouraging then not. Here's a list of 2007 free agents complied from http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/20...ry_cap_page.php , so if they're wrong, i'm wrong, but i think it's a pretty accurate site.

Craig Ochs (QB)

Troy Woodbury (QB)

Sam Aiken (WR)

Daunta Peterson (WR)

Brad Cieslak (TE)

Matt Murphy (TE)

Ryan Neufeld (TE)

Eric Powell (DE)

Jason Jefferson (DT)

Mario Haggen (LB)

Roy Manning (LB)

Josh Stamer (LB)

Jim Leonhard (S)

There is not one starter in that group!! most of these guys are practice squad or wavier wire warriors too. The biggest back-ups we have hitting the open market are Cieslak, Haggen and Stamer! You have to believe that they would either come really cheap to re-sign if we wanted to or easily replaceable via the draft or free agency. That means if we can fill the majority of our holes this off-season, which I think we will, we'll be in excellent shape next year to both 1) fill the remaining needs we need and 2) extend other players that will become free agents the following year. This is good, especially when you look at the list for 2008 free agents:

Excellent post.

I read last year that the Bills had the 1st or 2nd youngest team in the league.

Don't recall the average age.

If they do keep 8 or even 9 rookies this year, could this team be even younger?

Need to lock up JP, Evans, and Crowell early. That is a very exciting post.

So to sum up: we don't lose anybody important next winter (like Nate). All our young players are likely to improve. We don't have that many guys who are at the age where we expect decline, and we will have two more draft classes added along with another round of free agency? And with the raised salary cap we don't have any likely cap casualties either?

I'm very excited about 2007 and can't wait for it to start, but it makes it even more exciting to know that we are really laying the groundwork to be better in 2008 and beyond. I think our cycle of frustration is coming quickly to an end, and the next five years should be a fun time to be a Bills fan.

Need to lock up JP, Evans, and Crowell early. That is a very exciting post.

So to sum up: we don't lose anybody important next winter (like Nate). All our young players are likely to improve. We don't have that many guys who are at the age where we expect decline, and we will have two more draft classes added along with another round of free agency? And with the raised salary cap we don't have any likely cap casualties either?

I'm very excited about 2007 and can't wait for it to start, but it makes it even more exciting to know that we are really laying the groundwork to be better in 2008 and beyond. I think our cycle of frustration is coming quickly to an end, and the next five years should be a fun time to be a Bills fan.

Exactly, very very exciting!

Craig Ochs (QB)

Troy Woodbury (QB)

Sam Aiken (WR)

Daunta Peterson (WR)

Brad Cieslak (TE)

Matt Murphy (TE)

Ryan Neufeld (TE)

Eric Powell (DE)

Jason Jefferson (DT)

Mario Haggen (LB)

Roy Manning (LB)

Josh Stamer (LB)

Jim Leonhard (S)

Kelly Holcomb (QB)

JP Losman (QB)

Craig Nall (QB)

Fred Jackson (RB)

Shaud Williams (RB)

Roscoe Parrish (WR)

George Wilson (WR)

Kever Everett (TE)

Kirk Chambers (OL)

Aaron Merz (OL)

Duke Preston (OL)

Walter Stith (OL)

Ryan Niell (DE)

Angelo Crowell (LB)

John DiGirogio (LB)

Kevin Harrison (LB)

Takeo Spikes (LB)

Eric Bassey (CB)

granted it's 2 years away and the majority of these guys will probably be replaced or let go by then, just a few names are enough to worry though: Losman, Parrish, Crowell (and some key backups: Nall, Preston, Merz). Also I "THINK" Evans has an option year or something which would make him a 2009 free agent, but i'm not sure on that. If not he'd also be on this list...

Overall though, I really think the future looks bright. We have a core of very young but talented players and Marv is making all the right moves to fill in the vacancies. It's apperant that he's building a team that can endure for the long run and that, more than anything, makes me excited for 2007 and beyond!

Of those, the Bills should be considering locking Lee Evans up somehow at some point