Mularkey & Willis

cafan

We buried Mularkey in 2005 as he did not use Willis for 3rd downs and Goal-to-go situations. Now that Willis is traded, I see a lot of posts that say Willis does not know the playbook, he does not run hard on 3rd downs, etc... Maybe, just maybe Mularkey knew what he had in Willis and kept him away on those plays.. Not that Mularkey is any better (what is he now, anyways, a TE coach), but maybe we should give him the benefit of doubt on the Willis issue.

We buried Mularkey in 2005 as he did not use Willis for 3rd downs and Goal-to-go situations. Now that Willis is traded, I see a lot of posts that say Willis does not know the playbook, he does not run hard on 3rd downs, etc... Maybe, just maybe Mularkey knew what he had in Willis and kept him away on those plays.. Not that Mularkey is any better (what is he now, anyways, a TE coach), but maybe we should give him the benefit of doubt on the Willis issue.

. . . or maybe this is the Bills way of trying to justify the trade by spreading something that may or may not be true.

. . . or maybe this is the Bills way of trying to justify the trade by spreading something that may or may not be true.

If you meant spreading the 'supposed' drawbacks of Willis, I agree. Very much possible.

Yeah, the Bills definitly want to spread news of bad things about a running back they were trying to deal just so the fans and media will have a reason to believe this was a good idea.

Sadly, that is exactly what they did.

Wow, then imagine what they could have got for him if they kept their mouths shut or said he was the greatest back in the league :nana:

Do you read the friggen paper?!? Take a look at some of the "comments" that made or supposedly made by by "sources" with the Bills to reporters. Go back and take a look at some of the articles that are linked on TBD since the combine or do a google search.

and this is another example of you defending anything and everything Willis has ever done and never having any criticism for him at all. All you have ever done is say Willis' shortfalls were the cause of our O-line. As far as I'm concerned, Willis has no idea what kind of RB he is. He runs with hesitation often, and isn't quick enough to hit holes when they are there. He's horribly inconsistent as far as blocking assignments, and he's as dumb as a post. Mularky buried him on 3rd downs, and Dick did not. Who was right? Willis was _horrible_ on 3rd downs, especially in short yardage. He doesn't catch the ball well, and both of his last coaches have had issues with him. But he's still the golden boy to you. Now, when our running game improves this year, you'll say our O-line is the only reason. WM WAS a big problem with our run game, and you will see the same problems with the Ravens this year. All we ever heard from you was wait and see, he's going to reclaim his 'college speed' this year. I'm still waiting.

Sadly, that is exactly what they did.

If you honestly believe that you are delusional, give it a rest! It's a conspiracy people!!

The Bills have been extremely classy about Willis and haven't uttered a single bad thing about the idiot. Maybe, just maybe, he's not nearly as good as you think he is? What is with you and your crush on him?

If you honestly believe that you are delusional, give it a rest! It's a conspiracy people!!

The Bills have been extremely classy about Willis and haven't uttered a single bad thing about the idiot. Maybe, just maybe, he's not nearly as good as you think he is? What is with you and your crush on him?

You may want to read some of the comments from anonymous sources in various articles since the combine.

P.S. We will see how delusional I am during the regular season in the fall.

You may want to read some of the comments from anonymous sources in various articles since the combine.

I wouldn't put too much stock in "anonymous" sources. Most of the time these type of sources have axes to grind and/or hidden agendas. Especially around NFL draft season!

I wouldn't put too much stock in "anonymous" sources. Most of the time these type of sources have axes to grind and/or hidden agendas. Especially around NFL draft season!

Exactly.

Here we go, you've been saying this for years now about Willis, soon you'll run out of excuses.

All of our coaches over the past couple of years are clueless as well I guess?

Doing that type of thing would make the Bills a much more attractive place for FAs to sign. [/sarcasm]

Either the Bills didn't leak it, or, it's true. Heck, once Willis got the big contract, I can see Rosenhaus leaking something like since Buffalo did not want to deal with him.

Here we go, you've been saying this for years now about Willis, soon you'll run out of excuses.

All of our coaches over the past couple of years are clueless as well I guess?

Mr. Flea (how appropriate), let's agree to disagree.

Peter, there is always a bit of PR that goes down on both sides of a trade.

You could be right about the Bills' organization spewing some unsubstantiated inferences regarding Willis. Meanwhile, the Ravens are talking about what a "well-prepared" and "passionate" player that Willis is. They know that isn't true... The truth lies somewhere in between.

That is, when given the proper motivation -- like when he wanted to get out on the field in 2004 and whenever he played against old roommate Jonathan Vilma and the Jets -- Willis actually showed some glimpses of being an elite back. Otherwise, he's looked BELOW AVERAGE. Yes, some of that can be blamed on poor coaching, a weak OL, and musical chairs at QB. But you know what? Good RBs overcome these inadequacies. For example, there were a number of years when San Diego was awful -- but LT still tore it up. Rather than striving to be part of the solution, Willis was actually PART of the PROBLEM! Simply put, having to deal with this motivation problem week in and week out simply became too much of a problem for the coaching staff, so they elected to move on.

Right now, things seem a bit dark simply because there is no one on the team that can properly take his place -- and the calvary isn't coming via free agency either. Also, the Ravens have guys (like Ray Lewis) who will make it known to Willis what is expected. They have a better (and certainly more established) offensive line. Thus, I fully expect Willis to put up decent numbers this year for the Ravens. Thus, there will be Willis-supporters like yourself claiming to have been justified in your assessment that this was a bad trade for the Bills. However, given the circumstances, I feel that the team did what they could and landed a reasonable bounty for a malcontent player, who never lived up to expectations.