Jumping The Gun:

Let's say we unload McGahee and sign one RB in free agency (I'm being conservative; Levy may sign 2, but that's partly the debate I'm trying to stir up).

You now have the Ravens' #61 pick, as well as our RD#1 (12th) and RD#2 (43rd).

According to DraftTek website, these players would be there at each pick:

Players at #12:

--->Patrick Willis ILB

--->Marshawn Lynch RB

--->Leon Hall, Darelle Revis, Chris Houston, CB

--->Paul Posluszny OLB

--->Aaron Sears OG

--->Any WR not named Calvin Johnson WR

COMMENT: I'm leaning toward Willis here even if we sign a veteran LB, but you can talk me into Meachem WR or Okoye if he drops.

Players at #43:

--->Daymeion Hughes CB

--->Justin Blalock or Manny Ramirez OG

--->Anthony Gonzalez WR

--->Michael Bush RB

--->Tony Ugoh OT

--->Rufus Alexander OLB

--->Brandon Mebane or Marcus Thomas DT

COMMENT: I like Daymeion Hughes or Marcus Thomas, but you can talk me into a RB at this point.

Players at #61:

--->Kenny Irons or Tony Hunt RB

--->Brian Leonard FB

--->Steve Smith WR (from USC)

--->Samson Satele OC

--->Josh Wilson or Fred Bennett CB

COMMENT: Hunt/Leonard here. BUT If we took 2 FA RB's I could get my #2 receiver here, because pickings get much slimmer in the next round. Either CB if they drop to here may represent good value.

Players at #74:

--->Quinn Pitcock DT--Want another 3-technique guy? We have so many...

--->Paul Soliai DT--Here's your one gap defensive tackle.

--->Drew Stanton QB--Prolly not any better than Nall...

--->Scott Chandler TE--Reimersma Type TE

--->HB Blades ILB--Good pedigree.

COMMENT: Soliai has the size and speed we want in a one gap DT.

Players at #107

--->Nate Harris ILB--Great Day2 value. KaMichael Hall , Anthony Waters Justin Warren are still going to be here if Harris isn't.

--->Tim Shaw OLB--Draftniks call him Penn State's fastest LB, maybe best for Cover2.

COMMENT: I'd be inclined to take a LB this late, but taking Willis at 12 allows me to be creative here. OG Marshall Yanda or Josh Beekman would be good backup.

Astro

I think we will definitely draft 1 or 2 safety's . 5 foot nothing Jim Leonhard is not the answer as a legit backup to the SS or FS position . While he is a great special teams player, do you really want him as a long term solution if there is an injury ? The back end of our draft will be filled with cover 2 linebackers and the safety positions. Think Keith Ellison. All of which will be special team demons. Look at our roster, the priority positions have to be RB,LB,CB,S. I like how we run our drafts now, total smoke screens . You have no idea what the old man is going to do. Will we trade Willis and go for Mike Turner . Somehow get another first and draft a big wide out ? After last years draft who knows ?

Let's say we unload McGahee and sign one RB in free agency (I'm being conservative; Levy may sign 2, but that's partly the debate I'm trying to stir up).

You now have the Ravens' #61 pick, as well as our RD#1 (12th) and RD#2 (43rd).

According to DraftTek website, these players would be there at each pick:

Players at #12:

--->Patrick Willis ILB

--->Marshawn Lynch RB

--->Leon Hall, Darelle Revis, Chris Houston, CB

--->Paul Posluszny OLB

--->Aaron Sears OG

--->Any WR not named Calvin Johnson WR

COMMENT: I'm leaning toward Willis here even if we sign a veteran LB, but you can talk me into Meachem WR or Okoye if he drops.

Players at #43:

--->Daymeion Hughes CB

--->Justin Blalock or Manny Ramirez OG

--->Anthony Gonzalez WR

--->Michael Bush RB

--->Tony Ugoh OT

--->Rufus Alexander OLB

--->Brandon Mebane or Marcus Thomas DT

COMMENT: I like Daymeion Hughes or Marcus Thomas, but you can talk me into a RB at this point.

Players at #61:

--->Kenny Irons or Tony Hunt RB

--->Brian Leonard FB

--->Steve Smith WR (from USC)

--->Samson Satele OC

--->Josh Wilson or Fred Bennett CB

COMMENT: Hunt/Leonard here. BUT If we took 2 FA RB's I could get my #2 receiver here, because pickings get much slimmer in the next round. Either CB if they drop to here may represent good value.

Players at #74:

--->Quinn Pitcock DT--Want another 3-technique guy? We have so many...

--->Paul Soliai DT--Here's your one gap defensive tackle.

--->Drew Stanton QB--Prolly not any better than Nall...

--->Scott Chandler TE--Reimersma Type TE

--->HB Blades ILB--Good pedigree.

COMMENT: Soliai has the size and speed we want in a one gap DT.

Players at #107

--->Nate Harris ILB--Great Day2 value. KaMichael Hall , Anthony Waters Justin Warren are still going to be here if Harris isn't.

--->Tim Shaw OLB--Draftniks call him Penn State's fastest LB, maybe best for Cover2.

COMMENT: I'd be inclined to take a LB this late, but taking Willis at 12 allows me to be creative here. OG Marshall Yanda or Josh Beekman would be good backup.

From your list:

#12 LB Willis

#43 WR Gonzalez

#61 RB Hunt

#74 FB Leonard (if he is still on the board (doubt a FB goes before rd 3))

12:Patrick Willis(I am NOT a willis guy, I like Okoye but our need at LB is just so great)

43:Daymeion Hughes( Would be first rounder likely if not for poor 40, which doesnt matter much in a cover 2)

61:Brian Leonard(We need a FB and hes the best prospect out there, may need practice blocking plus he can double as a runner)

74: Soliai DT(Never hurts to have big bodies)

Now, if we were to take Bush in the 2nd Id be ecstatic about it.

Either way its def to early to speculate about whos gonna be around where.

I don't buy into the notion that you can afford to have a Corner who is slower than molasses just because you play a cover 2. What happens when we go man to man as, in certain defenses and in certain situations, we definitely will be? Speed isn't as big a factor in our scheme but it isn't a non-factor. There will be times where we will be blitzing a safety or two, what will Hughes do then? I see no reason, given that there are guys out there who have the speed, to spend a pick on a corner who is too slow to cover even a TE or RB man to man. Let some other team figure out how to use a CB with no speed to cover the fastest players in the game.

Pass on Hughes.

OK...lets draft a FB who needs practice blocking....?????????? :rolleyes:

Leonard is one of those sentimental picks people are drawn to because the player is a "lunch box" guy, etc. I'd pass on this guy. There are too many FB's out there who don't need practice blocking.

Leonard is one of those sentimental picks people are drawn to because the player is a "lunch box" guy, etc. I'd pass on this guy. There are too many FB's out there who don't need practice blocking.

Actually, the reason I would pick him there is due to his versatility. He's not an ideal blocking FB, but he's adequate and can fill the Bills need for a 2nd RB as well. If they were to draft a pure blocker, they'd probably need to pick up a backup RB at some point in the draft. I'd rather not have to use that extra pick. Its also possible that the Bills could sign a veteran FA in the meantime to fill either the FB or backup RB position, but until it happens, both are still needs.

Actually, the reason I would pick him there is due to his versatility. He's not an ideal blocking FB, but he's adequate and can fill the Bills need for a 2nd RB as well. If they were to draft a pure blocker, they'd probably need to pick up a backup RB at some point in the draft. I'd rather not have to use that extra pick. Its also possible that the Bills could sign a veteran FA in the meantime to fill either the FB or backup RB position, but until it happens, both are still needs.

Agreed. A good third down back can be a very productive position and I think Leonard would be an excellent change of pace RB, a decent back-up FB, and a terrific 3rd down back and short yardage back.

Agreed. A good third down back can be a very productive position and I think Leonard would be an excellent change of pace RB, a decent back-up FB, and a terrific 3rd down back and short yardage back.

They'd better shore up their LB corps first, if they want the ball in their hands to execute such...