Given the Bill's Massive O-line, what Style of RB is Best Suited

Jason Peters - 6'4" 328lbs 1/22/82

Derrick Dockery - 6'6" 335lbs 9/7/80

Melvin Fowler - not too much size at 6'3" 295lbs, but JP has to be able to see over SOMEONE. and he is the oldest at 3/31/79 (just about to turn 28)

Langston Walker - 6'8" 345lbs 9/3/79

Terrance Pennington - 6'7" 319lbs 9/25/83

There is a definte theme to our O-line" Big Guys and supposedly quick feet. Given that generalization what style of running back would be best suited as the #1 back? Keep in mind that the options i give are based on style of play eg. Power Back, Scat Back or Balanced RB. Don't judge based on the talent of the players i use for options, rather assume that the players I list are all equal in terms of ability & only separated by style pf play - Power Back, Scat Back or Balanced RB.

Power Back: One of those big power RB's in the mold of Jamaal Lewis, Deuce McAlister, Najeh Davenport and Brandon Jacobs, Reuben Droughns types. Won't make you miss to often but can flat out run right through you, would be tacklers frequently bounce off these guys, Not very good catching the ball out of the backfield, but much better at picking up the blitz. Potential FA's: T.J Duckett 6'0 254 Redskins. Potential Draft Pick: Tony Hunt 6'0 230 Penn State

Scat Back: Smaller Back who relies more on bursts of speed, shifts direction easily (make you miss in a shoe box type player) won't break many tackles. Elite receiver out of the backfield, but struggles in pass protection. NFL Comparisons: Leon Washington, Warrick Dunn, Jerious Norwood, Tatum Bell. Potential FA's: Derrick Blaylock 5'9 210lbs NY JETS(?) couldn't really think of any other scat back FA's (Shaud Williams ahaha). Potential Draft Pick: Garret Wolfe Northern Illinois 5'7 177lbs

Balanced Back:: Hybrid of the two - will break arm tackles and beat sloppy defenders on cuts. Won't bulldoze anybody nor juke you out of your shoes but a combination of some power, some speed, and some agility will help him breakruns. Multi-dimensional threat running and catching NFL prototypes: Ladell Betts, Thomas Jones, Chester Taylor, Micheal Pittman, Mike Bell, Chris Perry. Potential FA: Chris Brown Potential Draft Pick: Kenny Irons

Some may not agree with my classifications of players, but mainly i just want to know what type of player would suit the Bill's O-line and coaching scheme. Fairchild is graduate of the Mike Martz offensive playbook one wonders if he would prefer a scat back in the mold of a Marshall Faulk. Although its worth noting the 2006 Bills were more of a power running team than the finnesse running games coordinated by Fairchild and Martz. The simple answer is to run a powerback behind a power o-line. Have a powerback who can physically wear down opposing teams and allowing Bill's O-line and RB them to assert their will on teams by the time the 4th Q rolls around. Lastly the balanced back breaks the occaisional strech play while keeping opposing defenses honest between the tackles, somewhat like McGahee last year when he had holes to run through.

Obviously i ignored all world players who do it all like: L.T, Larry Johnson, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Steven Jackson.

The more time goes on the more I think Magehee is going to be in a bills uniform next season.....

I firmly believe that Willis will have a dominat season behind this line.....a lot of running backs would. Lets let Magehee play it out.....take a RB in the 1st day of the draft.....and we will franchise Willis next offseason and trade him for a high draft pick.

Lets get a linebacker in the 1st

The more time goes on the more I think Magehee is going to be in a bills uniform next season.....

I firmly believe that Willis will have a dominat season behind this line.....a lot of running backs would. Lets let Magehee play it out.....take a RB in the 1st day of the draft.....and we will franchise Willis next offseason and trade him for a high draft pick.

I said exactly what you said in another thread.

Keep Willis and draft Willis.

with that sized line, i think ANY RB who is willing to learn the playbook and RUN HARD EVERY PLAY will succeed.

so i dont know who theyll find to replace mcgahee, but it wont be too hard :lol:

(lol, i too think McGahee is our starting back this year and he has 1300yds and 9 TDs)

with that sized line, i think ANY RB who is willing to learn the playbook and RUN HARD EVERY PLAY will succeed.

so i dont know who theyll find to replace mcgahee, but it wont be too hard :lol:

(lol, i too think McGahee is our starting back this year and he has 1300yds and 9 TDs)

1473 yds 19 TD's

Actually, I think Willis McGahee would be ideal for that size of a line. I think a chastened guy of his ilk...with something to prove and lots of money riding on his performance this year could be a bonanza for us. If this trade doesn't work out, worse things could happen than to have Willis running behind that line.

Best strategy I've heard all day with respect to Willis.

Actually, I think Willis McGahee would be ideal for that size of a line.

Could be wishful thinking. If he hesitates, looking for daylight behind this line, he may be spending a lot of time in the dark.

Derrick Holmes hell...lets bring back Cookie Gilchrist! Come to think of it...Cookie didn't even need an offensive line.

Yep. Which begs the question with as weak as our line has been for so long where the hell has Cookie been? You think he'll show up now and walk through the holes these guys are gonna open?

:devil: