For Those of You Who Want The Gov't to Run the Health Care System

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused by this (sincerely).

Doesn't the military run Walter Reed hospital? And isn't it under military oversight?

I thought Walter Reed had some of the best surgeons in the world.

Isn't it the aftercare that sucks?

Does this mean we shouldn't let the Defense department run anything?

Somehow I don't think my HMO wouldbe doing any better for these guys.

WHEN is someone going to stand up and point the finger at BRAC for this debacle?

South Park Episode 908 Two Days Before The Day After Tomorrow

[The Marsh kitchen, later on. Randy is washing dishes, Sharon is drying them off. Stan appears at the kitchen entrance]

Stan: Mom, Dad? [hesitating] Theh, they're gonna go help those people, right?

Sharon: I don't know. You know, to me, it seems like the mayor of Beaverton should've done something about that dam years ago.

Randy: Don't blame the mayor, Sharon. What about FEMA? Think this whole thing is really their fault.

Stan: Ye-but, uh, s-somebody's gonna help the people off their, their rooftops, right?

Randy: That's not important right now, son. What's important is figuring out whose fault this is.

I have been.

If you mean politicians...never. Won't earn 'em votes.

If the Republicans were smart (they're not), they'd be roasting the Democrats alive over Bill Clinton's BRAC debacle.

Not that they (the repubs) are any better when it comes to managing the national defense. (see: Stryker and Rumsfeld's LIGHTER, leaner army)

If the Republicans were smart (they're not), they'd be roasting the Democrats alive over Bill Clinton's BRAC debacle.

Not that they (the repubs) are any better when it comes to managing the national defense. (see: Stryker and Rumsfeld's LIGHTER, leaner army)

Let me ask you a question. What are politicians good at managing?

There's nothing terribly wrong with Stryker. It's a fine armored car...it's not the vehicle's fault people want it to be an MBT. (FCS, however, is a whole 'nother story.)

Mismanagement is hardly a partisan issue, though. Institutions like Walter Reed don't fall apart overnight; it takes years of inattention, apathy, and under-funding for an infrastructure to get that !@#$ed up. Just like the New Orleans' levee system. Hell, these issues with Walter Reed were known TEN YEARS AGO, and no one did anything until the Post "broke the story". :lol:

And who wants to bet that the maintenance budget for the Hart Senate Office Building is more than the maintenance budget for the entire Walter Reed campus? Haven't found the numbers yet...though I did find the Senate's amendment cutting Walter Reed's base support services budget in 2006...anyone want to put money on THAT little tidbit coming out in congressional hearings?

And who wants to bet that the maintenance budget for the Hart Senate Office Building is more than the maintenance budget for the entire Walter Reed campus? Haven't found the numbers yet...though I did find the Senate's amendment cutting Walter Reed's base support services budget in 2006...anyone want to put money on THAT little tidbit coming out in congressional hearings?

If the Comptroller of the USA is right, then these idiots are literally going to be the death of the Republic. Cowards, criminals and idiots.

If the Comptroller of the USA is right, then these idiots are literally going to be the death of the Republic. Cowards, criminals and idiots.

According to the 1997 article I linked to above, the maintenance budget for all of Walter Reed was $4M.

According to the 1997 federal budget, the appropriation to the Office of the Architect of the Capitol for the maintenance of Senate Office buildings was $40M. The 2006 maintenance budget was $66M. The Office of the AOC won't give me better numbers than that without a FOIA filing (the absurdity of having to file a legal request to know how my government is spending my taxes, we'll leave for another thread).

I can't find better numbers than that. But in 1997, the Senate approved ten times more money for their own offices than they did for the Army's premire medical center. :lol:

According to the 1997 article I linked to above, the maintenance budget for all of Walter Reed was $4M.

According to the 1997 federal budget, the appropriation to the Office of the Architect of the Capitol for the maintenance of Senate Office buildings was $40M. The 2006 maintenance budget was $66M. The Office of the AOC won't give me better numbers than that without a FOIA filing (the absurdity of having to file a legal request to know how my government is spending my taxes, we'll leave for another thread).

I can't find better numbers than that. But in 1997, the Senate approved ten times more money for their own offices than they did for the Army's premire medical center. :lol:

LOL I'm shocked.

On a completely unrelated note, what do you make of GAO report on the impending medicare crisis. I for one find it funny that the people who wanted to "help seniors" by "expanding medicare" may end up being the very people that subvert the government via the economy. Not Arab loonies. Not Militia whackjobs. Not thermonuclear war. Healthcare for seniors. Who'da thunk it?

LOL I'm shocked.

That's not even the worst example of government stupidity I've heard today. The most criminal, maybe...but not the stupidest.

The stupidest would be: the F-22 can't fly across the Pacific, because after 25 years of development and $100B dollars in research, the ultra-modern completely computerized plane with 1.7 million lines of code operating it has a GPS navigation system breasts-up when the date changes across the International Date Line. Seems no one ever specified it might have to do that. :lol:

Seriously, I'm not even making that up...about three weeks ago they tried to fly one from Hawaii to the Pacific Rim (Japan or Korea, the article didn't say). They had to turn back to Hawaii when the computer in the $330-million-a-copy plane "went haywire" (their words, not mine) at 180 degrees longitude. :oops:

Yeah, these are the people I want in charge of health care. "Sorry. You can't have surgery on a leap-day. Our computers don't recognize February 29th."

That's not even the worst example of government stupidity I've heard today. The most criminal, maybe...but not the stupidest.

The stupidest would be: the F-22 can't fly across the Pacific, because after 25 years of development and $100B dollars in research, the ultra-modern completely computerized plane with 1.7 million lines of code operating it has a GPS navigation system breasts-up when the date changes across the International Date Line. Seems no one ever specified it might have to do that. :lol:

Seriously, I'm not even making that up...about three weeks ago they tried to fly one from Hawaii to the Pacific Rim (Japan or Korea, the article didn't say). They had to turn back to Hawaii when the computer in the $330-million-a-copy plane "went haywire" (their words, not mine) at 180 degrees longitude. :oops:

Yeah, these are the people I want in charge of health care. "Sorry. You can't have surgery on a leap-day. Our computers don't recognize February 29th."

Preaching to the choir. I don't want any organization that purchases $5000 hammers and $10000 toilet seats in charge of my health. The only time I used a VA hospital was to have dental surgery promised by the Army while I was active duty after I ETS'd.

I'd never wish that on anyone.

Preaching to the choir. I don't want any organization that purchases $5000 hammers and $10000 toilet seats in charge of my health. The only time I used a VA hospital was to have dental surgery promised by the Army while I was active duty after I ETS'd.

I'd never wish that on anyone.

"But the $5k hammer is on the GSA schedule, so we know we saved money."

Another true story: remember the BS about the Air Force's tanker lease deal with Boeing? How Congress decided that DoD was getting ripped off because the $120M/plane deal wasn't bid competitively and amounted to "corporate welfare"? Five years later, the Air Force is getting ready to accept bids from Boeing and Airbus for the planes...at a cost of roughly $200M/plane, never mind the $5+ billion the Air Force has had to spend keeping old KC-135s in the air an extra five years.

Way to go Congress! In a bid to save the taxpayer money, you've managed to increase the program cost by some 60%. Maybe if they'd let the original deal go through, they could have found an extra $4M to buy paint for Walter Reed...