Homework is too stressful

Fezmid

it is the parents job to make sure that their kid is succeeding in school. Sure, they are some crappy teachers out there, but reality is that 40 minutes a day by 180 days/ year (for each subject) is probably not enough time spent refining skills and adding new ones to the child's reptoire. You can whine all you want about the teacher assigning your kid some work to do at home, but it comes down how much do you want your child to succeed. Parental involvement is integral for the success of the child.

But thats not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that the parent at home should not have to teach the child new things for homework. The teacher in class is supposed to teach the students. Homework is to practice what was taught in class, not to learn new things. Parents should be there to help the child with the work, not to teach them how to do it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But thats not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that the parent at home should not have to teach the child new things for homework. The teacher in class is supposed to teach the students. Homework is to practice what was taught in class, not to learn new things. Parents should be there to help the child with the work, not to teach them how to do it.

Thank you puszczlowski !

You may have a point. :P

But dont tell that to the Goven'ment. :rolleyes:

And by the way...what ever happened to kids just not doing their homework? I never minded getting six hours a night...I just blew it off.

finally, someone's making sense. I'm sure I was assigned all kinds of crap back in school... I hardly remember an hour of homework let alone three.

Plus, isn't that what the homily girls were for? You just make friends with them and your homework is usually just done for you. :rolleyes:

BTW, my high school used to have the best gig of all (not sure if it is still true). If you scored higher on your Regent's exam than your current grade - your Regent's exam was your final grade. Score a 60/100 all year? Ace the final exam and walk away with a perfect 100....

that i can agree with. Parents are not supposed to introduce new concepts to the students but the parents are supposed to be there as a resource IMO. What I was getting at is the strong correlation between parental involvement and student success.

"....And analogy... Remember all the talk ...." looks like someone could have used more time on his homework...I am sure you meant to say "...An analogy...." :rolleyes::P

Good pick... Purely a typo... I will remember to proof better next time... Meant to say "And an analogy... Maybe too many an's in that string?... Case where my typing surely lags behind my thought...

:lol:

The teachers have it lucky these days, they consider 20+ overcrowding, when I was in elementary school (over 10 years ago, 30 kids was average)

And early on like in the 1950's and 1960's... 30-40 was sometimes the norm...

My kid has 28 in his class... What is the problem with that?

Problem is with the parents... I am not asking the teacher to stop teaching them... If the kid doesn't complete it in school... Then they take it home and all ELSE comes second.

Most parents are too damn lazy to except responsibility... Or feel too damn unqualified to teach also at the kids level... So they foist the bulk of the resposibility on to the teacher... The parent is the true teacher, the formal in-school teacher is the guide, the structure, the expert (well, I hope)...

it is the parents job to make sure that their kid is succeeding in school. Sure, they are some crappy teachers out there, but reality is that 40 minutes a day by 180 days/ year (for each subject) is probably not enough time spent refining skills and adding new ones to the child's reptoire. You can whine all you want about the teacher assigning your kid some work to do at home, but it comes down how much do you want your child to succeed. Parental involvement is integral for the success of the child.

Exactly... Sure some succeed with mimimal involvement though. But, the slam-dunk is when the parent is innvolved...

The attitude that "it is the teacher's job" is piss poor at least... And those thoughts bleed directly into the child's other thoughts throughout life...

Once again, the teacher is ONLY the professional guide... The consultant. And you you work with that consultant EQUALLY if not more than what that consultant is putting in timewise...

I agree... In a dream world... Things aren't as rigid in the real world... They ebb and flow in the real world between formal instruction and carrying out practical lessons (class and homework) How often does a kid come home and get things perfectly what they learned in class?... Should you have the teacher on speakerphone?

There are times when you have to know where the teacher is going and how to elaborate when there is a stumbling block or a communication breakdown, etc...

Good luck with getting parents to run with that because those skills are surely lacking in them or they lack the confidence to elaborate and actually teach something that may have got lost in the shuffle... Or heck, lost at recess or the few hours between formal instruction and the time they spend working at home.

Again, IMO... I think most parent miss this concept.

Face it... The parents complaining just don't want to put in the time... Even if it means they have to struggle to... And believe me, the child sees that sense of committment the parent puts forth...

BTW, my high school used to have the best gig of all (not sure if it is still true). If you scored higher on your Regent's exam than your current grade - your Regent's exam was your final grade. Score a 60/100 all year? Ace the final exam and walk away with a perfect 100....

Same at my highschool... I think that is a NYS thing? Does the rule still exist?...

Same at my highschool... I think that is a NYS thing? Does the rule still exist?...

lol, i was accepted into college early in my senior year. i found out right afterwards that all i needed, was to score a 40 on my Math final and a 12 on my English final to graduate, didnt even need grades in the class. no science or anything else to worry about...

i dont think i went to class other than gym and lunch the entire 2nd half of the year.

those were the good ol days