Bills sign WR Cortez Hankton (Jaguars) to multi-year deal

Still haven't seen this anywhere, but (from insider):

Grade 49

Expert's Take:

Hankton was Jacksonville's fourth receiver, but offered little production in this role and has just eight catches in each of the past two seasons and played in just four games in 2006. He battled hamstring injuries for much of the season and isn't very durable overall. He is too often is fighting one injury or another. Hankton has decent size with a pretty strong body and is a good special teams player. He is tough and goes over the middle. Hankton has decent quickness and is a smooth athlete. He is inconsistent catching the ball with his hands and too often allows it into his body. He lacks big play speed and has a very difficult time gaining separation, even though he is a sound route runner. Hankton has little upside as a receiver, but is a solid contributor on special teams, which has earned him a roster spot.

Explanation of score: 40-49: Below Average Backup/Core Special Teamers

Strictly a backup player who is not capable of starting. If forced to, he is only a short-term fix. ... He might make the roster because of special-teams contributions or experience. ... He is the type of player teams consistently look to replace with an upgrade. ... He always will be a borderline roster player.

The annually overlooked special teamer has made plays when called upon in the past. Del Rio seemed to hint that a shakeup at wideout was possible. "The best way to challenge guys is with playing time. They tend to separate themselves."

He could eventually challenge for kickoff return duties.

As the team's No. 6 receiver, Hankton is mostly a special teams force.

Sounds like a special teams Ace. Nothing more. Could take Aikens job?

Still haven't seen this anywhere, but (from insider):

Grade 49

Expert's Take:

Hankton was Jacksonville's fourth receiver, but offered little production in this role and has just eight catches in each of the past two seasons and played in just four games in 2006. He battled hamstring injuries for much of the season and isn't very durable overall. He is too often is fighting one injury or another. Hankton has decent size with a pretty strong body and is a good special teams player. He is tough and goes over the middle. Hankton has decent quickness and is a smooth athlete. He is inconsistent catching the ball with his hands and too often allows it into his body. He lacks big play speed and has a very difficult time gaining separation, even though he is a sound route runner. Hankton has little upside as a receiver, but is a solid contributor on special teams, which has earned him a roster spot.

Explanation of score: 40-49: Below Average Backup/Core Special Teamers

Strictly a backup player who is not capable of starting. If forced to, he is only a short-term fix. ... He might make the roster because of special-teams contributions or experience. ... He is the type of player teams consistently look to replace with an upgrade. ... He always will be a borderline roster player.

pretty much sums up the entire jaguar wide receiving corp!

The annually overlooked special teamer has made plays when called upon in the past. Del Rio seemed to hint that a shakeup at wideout was possible. "The best way to challenge guys is with playing time. They tend to separate themselves."

He could eventually challenge for kickoff return duties.

As the team's No. 6 receiver, Hankton is mostly a special teams force.

Sounds like a special teams Ace. Nothing more. Could take Aikens job?

Man what a Heist !! We stole the #6 receiver of the Jaguars. I like having great special teams, just would rather have a few great players on defense... but that's just me. I know, I know we're not finished yet. I'm standing by for the Next huge signing !

If true, and that's a big if, he would be around veteran minimum (or less than a mil) and simply replace Andre Davis. I would doubt the validity of this entirely until some sort of actual comfirmation, and I would probably rather have Andre Davis back as he was a stud as a gunner. But this guy probably has more potential as a WR than Davis who has been given a lot of chances and hasn't taken advantage of them.

The negativity on this board is amazing !! You probably said the same thing about Tutan Reyes and look how well he turned out.

No I didn't. I thought Tuten Reyes sounded like an Egyptian Pharoah

And I thought Coy Wire sounded like a part of the Flux Capacitor

The negativity on this board is amazing !! You probably said the same thing about Tutan Reyes and look how well he turned out.

I think we should make it a rule around here...if we never heard of the guy, we should consider it a good move...enough of this sitting around waiting for LSI to give the moves his blessing!