Broncos talking 3rd-round pick trade for Willis?

They can kiss our collective butts. D'oh.

make it a 2nd...or make him play the year--get a cheap year out of him. Or as anotherposted pointed out--some better combination of picks. a 3rd alone....wouldnt make sense because of the gap at RB we would have to fill

make it a 2nd...or make him play the year--get a cheap year out of him. Or as anotherposted pointed out--some better combination of picks. a 3rd alone....wouldnt make sense because of the gap at RB we would have to fill

I think you do a draft day trade, maybe even in the first. Move Willis for a high third (at least) and move rb up as a need player, probably using your first. If they get another pick in that third round they could leverage that to get a guy they want by moving up/into the second round. So far they've been pretty good picking talent, so you may as well load up the gun. Just a thought.

I think the only way you don't move him given a decent (high third) offer is if you think you're Super bowl bound or you can sign him. I don't think either will happen. And I don't see him carrying the load because Marv has already said there will be somone else in the backfield. I don't think Marv & co want to sign him anyway, because something would have been done by now especially if you only have a limited amount of money. I think this offense needs a guy that can block, catch and run and Willis is proven under multiple coaches he isn't that guy. Good running back, just not quite what we're looking for.

I haven't heard anything about Green Bay being interested. It seems they need a rb and could be a suitor. Anyone have a reason why not?

Willis is an average NFL Back--Not to quote MM but he doesn't hit holes hard. He hesitates too much.--Not too mention we are only going to have him for 1 more year and the fact that he is a bit of a cancer. Marv, take the best you can get for WM and ship him out. I would be OK with a 3rd.

I DONT CARE EITHER JUST GET MCGAHEE OUT OF HERE PLEASE

we need somebody that can run 70 yards for a touchdown without throwing up

*marshaun lynch please

They can kiss our collective butts. D'oh.

Getting a 3rd for Willis at this point would be excellent.

With all of the bad PR as of recent regarding his play and performance a 3rd round pick should be welcomed with open arms by the Bills front office.

Agree here, and maybe lower than that from a yardage production standpoint. 16th-20th best would be generous.

1 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 1815

2 Larry Johnson KC 1789

3 Frank Gore SF 1695

4 Tiki Barber NYG 1662

5 Steven Jackson StL 1528

6 Willie Parker Pit 1494

7 Rudi Johnson Cin 1309

8 Brian Westbrook Phi 1217

9 Chester Taylor Min 1216

10 Travis Henry Ten 1211

11 Thomas Jones Chi 1210

12 Edgerrin James Ari 1159

13 Ladell Betts Was 1154

14 Fred Taylor Jac 1146

15 Warrick Dunn Atl 1140

16 Jamal Lewis Bal 1132

17 Julius Jones Dal 1084

18 Joseph Addai Ind 1081

19 Ahman Green GB 1059

20 Deuce McAllister NO

Yeah but Willis had a good year in 2004, doesn't that mean he's worth a 1st round pick now?

:thumbsup:

If we take a third for Willis, we are a worse football team in 2007. We will have to tie up better than a third round pick to replace him, so even if we get Lynch, we are using a pick that could have gone elsewhere. I think Willis is underrated right now, and no reason to sell low. I would think about a second and take a first, but otherwise I want him to play. The downgrade in 2007 is too important for the upgrade in 2008-2011 (when the third round pick would be a Bill and Willis would not), because this team needs a good 2007 to progress. If we could get Henry or we really think there is a better back than Willis in the second round I can live with a lower pick trade, but otherwise I'd just as soon he suit up, play for the contract (not many running backs get two contract years, so Willis knows this is the biggest year of his career), and help the Bills win in 2007.

People say the Colts did well losing Edge. I think that is an inaccurate comparison. They let a free agent go and used a first round pick. Willis is under contract so you need to get more for him than you expect his production under contract to be.

Well, the Broncos have two 3rd rd picks, #70 (from Washington) and #86. The #70th pick is the 6th pick into the rd. The compensatory picks don't start until the end of the 3rd rd. If this is the pick that Denver is offering than we might better seriously consider it. This is a scenario that Marv might be keeping on the backburner until he gets closer to the draft or until he can secure a partial replacement in free agency. If MaGahee is traded, than I do believe that we're going to draft a valid prospect with either of our first two picks. I know people are wanting to still keep MaGahee for at least one more year but I don't see it happening. It's gone too far now in the speculation mode to keep him happy this year and not be a disruption to our team chemistry. Does this seem accurate?

I disagree and think Willis is worth a second round pick or don't make the trade. We own his contract, it is cap friendly. We don't need to give up anything to get him. Sure we can get someone that could have a season similar to what Willis had last year. But could we get someone who has the potential to vastly exceed those numbers like Willis can? Willis could be a cancer and hold out, but Willis should be motivated in the final year to show his true value (his thoughts) and get his huge payday. Sure Willis could simply be average and produce numbers anyone could, but he has the potential to have a huge season, especially with the O-line changes. We won't get that with a 3rd round pick and that's why others are interested in him! Why are we assuming he hasn't looked at the recent roster moves and realized staying just might prove to be quite lucrative for him ala Nate?

I disagree and think Willis is worth a second round pick or don't make the trade. We own his contract, it is cap friendly. We don't need to give up anything to get him. Sure we can get someone that could have a season similar to what Willis had last year. But could we get someone who has the potential to vastly exceed those numbers like Willis can? Willis could be a cancer and hold out, but Willis should be motivated in the final year to show his true value (his thoughts) and get his huge payday. Sure Willis could simply be average and produce numbers anyone could, but he has the potential to have a huge season, especially with the O-line changes. We won't get that with a 3rd round pick and that's why others are interested in him! Why are we assuming he hasn't looked at the recent roster moves and realized staying just might prove to be quite lucrative for him ala Nate?

Maybe just maybe this actually works well for the Bills, or maybe this has indeed been part of a plan? Anyone can run well behind a good line, a small percentage of players have the possibility of doing something special.

…then I woke up. ;-)

the deal is going to be a 3rd and 5th for McGahee and Holcomb

I would not take that at this point. Keeping him, our biggest need right now is for a LB, which at the 12 pick we are looking good to pick up. Draft a RB in the second if there is one we like still around, or a CB if we can't get Nick Harper/resign Thomas. If not, keep Willis, see if we can work out a reasonable contract to keep him, consider franchising him if he has a big year, or pick a RB high next year. As SRQ said, I would take a deal that got us a second (Willis and Holcomb for a second?), other than that, we hold every card at the moment.

Maybe just maybe this actually works well for the Bills, or maybe this has indeed been part of a plan? Anyone can run well behind a good line, a small percentage of players have the possibility of doing something special.

…then I woke up. ;-)

what happened here?

If we can get a second or higher for him great. I don't know if teams see that much potential in him, although I guess it just takes one. I think McGahee would have to agree on an extension before the picks get really high. Hopefully Rosendork will play ball. I don't think he will have a monster year sharing carries with anonther back. I assume the Bills will bring in an rb to catch the ball out of the backfield and if he's also the first/second down type Willis could be sharing offensive series. If they sign someone like Chris brown, have A train on board and a young back, I think that's enough. Especially with a revamped line. Hopefully it will be a lot easier to make those 3rd and shorts next year. Wouldn't we rather have the future back running behind a better line? Maybe start taking carries away from the other backs toward the end of the year like Addai did in 06?

With the Edge comparison, wouldn't you rather have the pick than just let WM go? Lynch could be a far better back than Willis and in 2008 he'll be hitting his stride after getting 30% of the 2007 carries. If he is a bust, you have another chance at the draft before you really need a starter. The third could net you a decent player that will contribute in the 08-11 seasons. The big unknown for me is what they think of the players that could be available at 12. If the need players are gone, who do you take? Maybe Lynch is rated the best player available and you take him irregardless of Mcgahee's status? So get the high third for WM and move on.

As far as progressing, this team will progress with or without Willis. Sure you'd like to see him help, but say he does become a key component of the offense and we lean on him during the year. What about JP? I would rather see JP lead the team in their progression at this point than a lame duck running back. I think it will do more for the Bills in 2008 if JP works on being the go to guy in 2007. I just want first downs out of WM to keep drives alive.

Having Willis available only gives the Bills and Willis an idea as to how other teams value him. The Bills will not trade him if they cannot get value for him. At present a number two is the very least they should take from anyone. But draft day its very possible a player Bills value very well may fall into a third round . If teams such as Denver, New York have not made signing prior to draft and teams continue to have discussion with them, the Bills knowing they have that third pick option, they can and will draft and trade

accordingly. But I doubt very much in spite of recent happenings are the Bills so disenchanted with Willis they would give him away for nothing. Willis is a good not great back that can and will do a fine job for Bills this season.