Clements signs with 49ers, 8 years $80M

Peter

John Clayton said that whatever contract Clements signs that he'd be worth every penny. I don't know how many pennies make up 10 million a season and I could be out on a limb here, but I don't think that 4 interceptions and a touchdown return per season adds up to worth every penny status.

Of course the talking sports heads are going to say that. They have been using Nate as one of the prime guys to get the viewers excited about Free Agent Friday. Clayton and just about everyone else named Nate the top FA on the market. This big payday just validates what Clayton and company have been saying.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my math skills = not good

Nate freaking Clements is the highest paid player in league history?????? That's still hard to believe.

I think he is only the highest paid defensive player in history. Peyton has to be making more.

This is insanity. You don't give an overrated corner an 8yr $80 million dollar deal. Nate is a solid corner, but he is no Champ Bailey. The Bills were right to let that one go.

By that logic, we should not have signed Dockery then. Ask Redskins fans if they would've signed Dockery to the contract we did.

And ask Oakland fans about Walker's contract. They would laugh in our face.

Bottom line is the market has changed. Nate was paid that because he's worth that in this market. He has developed into a top 5 CB and we will miss him.

The rich get richer? The San Francisco 49ers? They're the rare team that's been worse than us lately.

really? considering we finished with the same 06 record as you, and with only 1 less win last year than you guys, and were on our way up, i wouldnt really say were worse.

I wonder if he'll start. :devil:

the deal looks alot more inflated than it really is. the last 2 years of the deal are worth 35 mil. i highly doubt he makes it that far. in reality its more like a 6 year/45 mil deal. remember in football money isnt guaranteed. also, he may be the highest paid D player ever, but he didnt get the highest amount of signing bonus. also remember inflation. next year Samuel will be getting a deal even better if he hits the market.

really? considering we finished with the same 06 record as you, and with only 1 less win last year than you guys, and were on our way up, i wouldnt really say were worse.

You need to consider the Bills had the most difficult schedule in the entire league, and we still were in just about every game, losing to the Chargers, Colts and Patriots by a combined total of six points. I agree that the Niners have showed solid progress over the past two years, but your boys had one of NFL's easiest schedules in '06. There is not doubt the Bills are the better team right now. The NFC in general is remarably weaker than the AFC. You guys finished with thte same record, but you were fortunate enough to play the Lams and Cards twice each. Oops, you guys lost to the Cards -- twice. How did you do agains the sorry Packers?

There's no need for us to dog the niners just because Nate signed there. They, like us, are a young team on the rise (hopefully). Shoot, they may very well be the better team over the next few years and sentiments like these will come back to bite us. Let's just be happy for Nate and move on.

There's no need for us to dog the niners just because Nate signed there. They, like us, are a young team on the rise (hopefully). Shoot, they may very well be the better team over the next few years and sentiments like these will come back to bite us. Let's just be happy for Nate and move on.

I was responding to a Niners fans who came to the Wall. But you are right, they are a young team seemingly headed in the right direction. Maybe we'll play them in Super Bowl 43.

The rich get richer and teams like Buffalo get poorer.

Sad.

Nate is good not great- and as the 49ers found out after they showered money on Jonas, that is a lot of cap dollars for one player.

When the player gets injured, you have nothing . Read Marv's book if you haven't done so, he has won every where he has been with the

exception of Berkley at the end of the Vietnam war. He is putting together a team- not just overpaying some free agent stars. This has worked

well for the Pats- Overpaying players that you have heard of has not worked out to well for Daniel Snyder in Washington.

You need to cover all positions with good players and have some depth. Throwing big dollars at one postion leaves you with holes at other positions.