Kelsay's yearly salary is on the NFLPA site now...

The numbers are NOT as bad as I thought. I really think that his contract has a bunch of roster bonuses and incentives in it. Check it out....

Check it out. It isn't as bad as first assumed. :up:

Kelsay, Chris

DE (#)

Year: 2003

Buffalo Bills

Round: 2

Auburn, NE

Position: 16

Salary History

2007 1000000.00

2008 1400000.00

2009 3000000.00

2010 3700000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlaye...h.aspx?id=34487

Does anyone know if those NFLPA Salaries include bonus figures?

No, those are straight salary.

That totals 9.1 mil of the approximate 24 mil he got. So there is 15 mil left. He also reportedly got 13 mil guaranteed. That is very likely split into roster bonuses of about 6-7 mil in each of the next two years. So he is probably costing us 7 mil in our cash to cap policy. And that 13 mil could be a little exaggerated.

No, those are straight salary.

That totals 9.1 mil of the approximate 24 mil he got. So there is 15 mil left. He also reportedly got 13 mil guaranteed. That is very likely split into roster bonuses of about 6-7 mil in each of the next two years. So he is probably costing us 7 mil in our cash to cap policy. And that 13 mil could be a little exaggerated.

That's about what I was thinking. A $7 million cap to cap number for this year and if the $13 million is correct, it includes incentives and roster bonuses.

I'd bet he's getting at least 3 installments of his $13-14.5M guaranteed money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the $13 million that he's getting according to John Clayton is not right. I'm thinking it more likely to be $10 million or less in the forms or a signing bonus and a roster bonus next year.

I'd bet he's getting at least 3 installments of his $13-14.5M guaranteed money.

Based on those salaries, I would bet there is guaranteed money in each year which helps to ensure that he will not get cut before teh contract is up because teh Bills would be obligated to pay real cash to a player not on the roster if they cut him. This would not be just a cap hit with play money.

The annual amount for each year will come to close to $6 mil.

Actually, the more I'm thinking about it. Maybe the $13 million is correct. Aaron Schobel got a $6.75 million signing bonus and a $2 million roster bonus when the cap was $86 million.

I'm guessing that Kelsay got a $7 million signing bonus and another $6 million in roster bonuses.

Based on those salaries, I would bet there is guaranteed money in each year which helps to ensure that he will not get cut before teh contract is up because teh Bills would be obligated to pay real cash to a player not on the roster if they cut him. This would not be just a cap hit with play money.

The annual amount for each year will come to close to $6 mil.

Yep. There was an article saying that huge signing bonuses had become passe, being replaced by roster/option/buyout bonuses.

very likely split into roster bonuses of about 6-7 mil in each of the next two years. So he is probably costing us 7 mil in our cash to cap policy.

Which would still leave about $20 million to play with this year after Kelsay's bonus. It would also make years 3 and 4 of his contract pretty managable if he continues to progress.

Which would still leave about $20 million to play with this year after Kelsay's bonus. It would also make years 3 and 4 of his contract pretty managable if he continues to progress.

Absolutely. I think it's a pretty decent signing and contract considering the options. Kelsay could have a very good year this season. He fits the kind of player that Marv and Jauron want to build the team around. It says to players of relative caliber if you have a good season we will reward you (there are only X number of stars on any team, obviously). We weren't going to sign Nate, and it's probably 50-50 or less to sign Fletcher. We can't lose three starters including our best player and expect to improve.

ok, so can we officially put to bed all the "OMG WE OVERPAID KELSAY THAT BUM!" chicken-little threads?

I personally think it was a pretty decent contract and signing but can surely understand the problem people have with it. He's still going to make 6 million a year. We still are likely to have two guys that play the same position with nearly the same talent. With the amount they signed Kelsay to, and the amount they are going to sign an LB or OG to, we could have signed Nate (at 10 mil a year). So it's still not a sure thing.

I personally think it was a pretty decent contract and signing but can surely understand the problem people have with it. He's still going to make 6 million a year. We still are likely to have two guys that play the same position with nearly the same talent. With the amount they signed Kelsay to, and the amount they are going to sign an LB or OG to, we could have signed Nate (at 10 mil a year). So it's still not a sure thing.

so you'd rather have nate than 2, possibly 3, other talented guys at crucial positions?

except that Nate does nothing to stop the run, while Kelsay is a key component to the front 7.

so you'd rather have nate than 2, possibly 3, other talented guys at crucial positions?

When you have Denney and Hargrove, with Nate, it's a helluva lot better than Kelsay, Denney, Hargrove and Youboty, or a FA CB.

Nate's a star player at this point in his career. You win with a combination of 2-4 stars and 20 role players. The Bills have one star player and that's Evans, at one of the positions where you cannot be a star unless you have a lot of help (from a good QB and at least decent line).