Astro's Robo-Mock 1.0

Astrobot

Pick—Team----Top Needs In Priority Order------------Pick-----------(Who Fell?)

1 Oakland--------QB, WR-OT----------------------------RUSSELL QB (Johnson WR)

2 Detroit--------- DE OT-OG-OC------------------------THOMAS OT (Or Trades Down)

3 Cleveland------RB DT OT-OG-------------------------PETERSON RB (Branch DT)

4 Tampa Bay-----WR-DT--------------------------------JOHNSON WR (Branch DT)

5 Arizona---------DE OT FS------------------------------ANDERSON DE (Adams DE)

6 Washington----DE ILB DT-----------------------------BRANCH DT (Adams DE)

7 Minnesota------WR WR TE-----------------------------JARRETT WR (Ginn WR)

8 Houston---------RB RB OT DT CB (Wild card)-------LYNCH RB (Okoye /Hall CB)

9 Miami------------QB DT ILB OT OC Wild Card)------QUINN QB (Okoye /Willis ILB)

10 Atlanta---------DE FS OT-----------------------------LANDRY FS (Adams DE)

11 San Fran------DT WR---------------------------------GINN WR (Okoye DT)

LEFT FOR BILLS: Okoye DT, Willis ILB, Hall CB, Brown OT, Adams DE, and Tradedown.

FACTORS:

If Oakland goes with Jamarcus Russell, Okoye falls because Tampa Bay would then take the higher rated Calvin Johnson and put off taking a DT until RD#2.

We signed Kelsay because AZ and WASH will take out the top rated DE’s. Washington needs a rush DE more than a cover-2 ILB, so Willis falls.

Minnesota’s need for WR’s is deep, so they will take a WR. SF will take the other if they don’t take Okoye.

Houston’s need at RB is huge, and they’ll latch onto Lynch. They could go with priority #2 and take OT Brown, Hall at CB, or Okoye.

Watch Washington at 6. They could grab Willis, Okoye, or Gaines Adams, but if Branch falls past Cleveland and T-Bay, they’ll take Branch, leaving the others to us.

2 Detroit--------- DE OT-OG-OC------------------------THOMAS OT (Or Trades Down)

LEFT FOR BILLS: Okoye DT, Willis ILB, Hall CB, Brown OT, Adams DE, and Tradedown.

FACTORS:

If Oakland goes with Jamarcus Russell, Okoye falls because Tampa Bay would then take the higher rated Calvin Johnson and put off taking a DT until RD#2.

We signed Kelsay because AZ and WASH will take out the top rated DE’s. Washington needs a rush DE more than a cover-2 ILB, so Willis falls.

Minnesota’s need for WR’s is deep, so they will take a WR. SF will take the other if they don’t take Okoye.

Houston’s need at RB is huge, and they’ll latch onto Lynch. They could go with priority #2 and take OT Brown, Hall at CB, or Okoye.

Watch Washington at 6. They could grab Willis, Okoye, or Gaines Adams, but if Branch falls past Cleveland and T-Bay, they’ll take Branch, leaving the others to us.

I think Houston will pull the upset of the draft and take brady quinn. Carr is expendable. Houston will then listen to Miami and any other team in that 15 minutes to see if they want quinn bad enough to bundle a couple of 1st rounders or 1st & 2nd. Then they will

keep quinn, trade carr (they have lundi who has shown some ablity at RB), or keep carr and then take the best player available.

Yep, the more I look at this, Houston and Miami are going to be the ones that give us the trouble.

Houston because of their diverse needs (all of which dovetail with our plans, especially with WM trade rumors) and Miami because of the DT ILB needs. I hope NE stays put behind us, as well as Denver, because they are both likely to move up.

I can't disagree with Okoye being your #1 preference, as he is the only DT I see in the top 2 rounds that is a disruptive, one-gap player to alternate with Tripplett. I'd have Willis first or second on my list, as LB is so critical to our version of the cover-2, and we haven't moved on re-signing LF-B yet. And I think tradedown would be third, because I think we can get a CB later in the round plus another RD3 pick. I'd prefer OG with my second rounder and not OT in round 1.

ummm, branch from michigan is a DT therefore there would still be the top DE left according to your mock which would be adams from clemson.. but lets face it., bills wouldn't go that route.

you are being overly optimistic of who will be left for the Bills.

It is highly likely that Lynch & Ginn fall out of top 15 and Jarrett falls to end of 1st round if not the 2nd. Jarrett picked a bad year to come out while running 4.7.

Thus, Okoye, Willis and Adams could all go by #12.

Levi Brown may also be gone if Houston takes Brady Quinn and Miami takes the OT to replace MacIntosh who they just released.

If Atlanta gets to pick between Adams and Landry-then teh DE takes priority and the cupboard looks pretty empty for the Bills in their areas of need.

What we really care about (unless we are targeting a singel player, which in my mind it is too early to do) is how many guys make it into the top 11 that we wouldn't want anyway. Those guys push guys we would want down to us. When they fall out and we have to take them or pass on them, it doesn't help us. Just like if Cutler and Leinart both went in the top 7 last year we would have had two more top players to choose from along with Whitner and Ngata.

So seeing Ginn and Landry and Anderson and Quinn in the top 11 is important to ensure we get one of the guys we really like at #12.

I'd be surprised if Jarrett cracks the top 10.

I see him lasting all the way to Tennessee's pick. In fact, I'd love to see the Bills trade down to Tennessee's spot and allow the Titans to take Jarrett at #12, thus reuniting him with his former offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

FACTORS:

Am I the only one thinking Marv et al. may feel satisfied with our D-line; therefore, Okoye may not be their choice? As much as I want Okoye, I have this feeling that Marv may see our biggest need for stopping the run as being a LB. Depending on what they get in FA, I could easily see Marv picking a OG/OT or LB at #12.

Am I the only one thinking Marv et al. may feel satisfied with our D-line; therefore, Okoye may not be their choice? As much as I want Okoye, I have this feeling that Marv may see our biggest need for stopping the run as being a LB. Depending on what they get in FA, I could easily see Marv picking a OG/OT or LB at #12.

A few weeks ago, I came across an article where Marv said the defensive line had to get better. He went on to hint that this improvement could come from players already on the roster. I got the feeling that he envisioned rookies like McCargo and Kyle Williams stepping it up in their second years.

That said, I hope the Bills take Okoye.

I can't disagree with Okoye being your #1 preference, as he is the only DT I see in the top 2 rounds that is a disruptive, one-gap player to alternate with Tripplett. I'd have Willis first or second on my list, as LB is so critical to our version of the cover-2, and we haven't moved on re-signing LF-B yet. And I think tradedown would be third, because I think we can get a CB later in the round plus another RD3 pick. I'd prefer OG with my second rounder and not OT in round 1.

I agree that we need a very good MLB in our scheme, but I'm not 100% sold on Willis. If we have to, we could go into next year with a LB corps of Ellison and Spikes on the outside, and Crowell in the middle.

I'm sure Bill from NYC will agree with me when I say that taking an OT in round 1 and an OG in round 2 are not mutually exclusive. The Bills could justifiably do both.

A few weeks ago, I came across an article where Marv said the defensive line had to get better. He went on to hint that this improvement could come from players already on the roster. I got the feeling that he envisioned rookies like McCargo and Kyle Williams stepping it up in their second years.

That said, I hope the Bills take Okoye.

That's exactly what I was suggesting. I just have this strange feeling that Marv and Jauron could easily look at the rookies being in their second year, so they should get better. Triplett started playing better as the season progressed, so he'll be better. Now we re-signed Kelsay and still have Schobel and Denney. Conclusion: the D-line is sufficient.

However, to address the inability to stop the run; get a new LB or 2.

I'm not saying I agree with this line of thinking. I'm just saying, it seems totally plausible that Marv and the coaches could be thinking like this. Result: we pass on Okoye in the draft.

One man's preference for these options:

1. Okoye, DT

2. Brown, OT

3. Tradedown

4. Adams, DE

5. Hall, CB

6. Willis, ILB

I'll second that priority list.

But I just have to remember to add to that six degrees of happiness the seventh - Marv drafts none of the above. :thumbsup: