Did we OOOOVERPAY for Chris Kelsay?

firstngoal

We paid market value for a player of Kelsay's experience and potential. Upon first blush I thought the contract was too high, but when compared with similar deals over the last year or so it made sense.

Nothing to be alarmed about here.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Resiging Kelsay was a goood move, never said it wasn't!

But what they PAID for him was ridiculous!

Case in point = The Sporting News Scouting Guide for NFL Players has Kelsay rated as the 53rd Best DE in the game (doesn't make enough big plays is one of their assessments). Rated as an ADEQUATE STARTER.

I haven't seen the production on the field to warrant such a contract.

Would you go to the grocery store and pay $50 dollars for a 16oz container of mustard??? Well, thats what they did!

It's not just me that is bringing this up, it's the talk of the league!

OK. if he's the 53rd rated DE, what does (or will) his salary rate after all FAs have been signed? And then of course, you have to look at when those guys were signed. For ex, as many have mentioned, Schobel makes much less. However, Schobel signed a deal 2 years ago. There's little doubt he'd make considerably more than his current contract if he was a FA this spring.

I understand what you're saying.. that you think we way overpaid. But, I'm not sure that's exactly the case. I haven't seen all the numbers on other players of his caliber. So, maybe the price of mustard has just gone up?

I'm not sure I buy its the "talk of the league". I watch NFL Live on ESPN; I watch NFL Total Access like its a religion. I'm not even sure I've seen mention of it, let alone anything that would classify it as talk of the league. All the Bills talk I've seen has been in reference to McGahee and Clements, with Fletcher being a distant 3rd. So, I'd have to request some documentation on that one.

And even if it is the talk of the league, why is that a bad thing? Maybe that's what we want, the whole league saying.. see if you go to Buffalo and play solid ball and keep your nose clean you too can get overpaid. I guess I just don't see that as necessarily a bad thing - to have the league talking about us because we signed a FA to a good contract.

people just have sticker-shock because they seem to be completely unaware of the current market and are too busy listening to the "experts"...

next thing you know, we'll be listening to arbitrary numbers quoted from some "Draft Value" chart...

:blink:

Value.. value... we don't need no stinkin value! :devil:

No. That was market value for him.

The question is, would you rather pay market value for Clements, or market value for Kelsay? I'd have rather paid market value for Clements...

No way I want to pay market value for Clements, which is in a different league from this. I have my doubts on Kelsey. I like him but would have been fine with Hargrove/Denney and not spending money that could prevent us from having enough for another valuable player (not Clements in my mind, because I don't think he is as good as his contract will be expensive). But now that we have him, just like the Price signing, not big deal, not a huge impact, we are a better team with him than without him, and these aren't crazy dollars.

I'm not sure I buy its the "talk of the league". I watch NFL Live on ESPN; I watch NFL Total Access like its a religion. I'm not even sure I've seen mention of it, let alone anything that would classify it as talk of the league. All the Bills talk I've seen has been in reference to McGahee and Clements, with Fletcher being a distant 3rd. So, I'd have to request some documentation on that one.

Sirius NFL Radio

I was surprised with the number but alot of people questioned aaron schobels contract extension a few years ago, kelsay is a le and in my opinion is real good against the run and improving with his pass rush. I thought last year was going to be his bust out year but now i am saying this year!