If Okoye is gone the Bills should trade out

1billsfan

If Okoye's gone, I really hope the Bills seriously think about trading out of their 1st round pick a couple of times and target getting Ryan Kalil in the back part of the first round. The Bills could easily pickup another 2nd and 3rd round picks by twice dealing out when their turn comes. I know no one here has targeted the center position as a need but think about it, the Bills have had major trouble running the ball up the gut for a loooong time and Kalil looks like a can't miss player. A big part of the Bills success during the Supe years was Kent Hull's stout presense. Then they would have 4 picks out of the next 60 player selections ending up with 5 of the top 90 players in the 2007 class.

I'd much rather have this scenario then reaching for a guy like Patrick Willis and then only having 2 more selections to go after the first day has ended. The Bills could really fortify the youth rebuilding process they began last year. They then would be able to target LB, DT, OG, CB, RB, TE with their selections within the 2nd and 3rd rounds. A couple of these holes will no doubt be addressed in free agency, so the need list will be getting smaller.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

#1choice. Would be to draft Okoye.

#2choice. Trade down, if the Bills trade down four spots to 16, it is worth an extra 3rd round pick. According to the draft formula.

#3. Choice. Best available player reguardless of position, only if there is no trades for at least a 3rd round pick.

If Okoye's gone, I really hope the Bills seriously think about trading out of their 1st round pick a couple of times and target getting Ryan Kalil in the back part of the first round. The Bills could easily pickup another 2nd and 3rd round picks by twice dealing out when their turn comes. I know no one here has targeted the center position as a need but think about it, the Bills have had major trouble running the ball up the gut for a loooong time and Kalil looks like a can't miss player. A big part of the Bills success during the Supe years was Kent Hull's stout presense. Then they would have 4 picks out of the next 60 player selections ending up with 5 of the top 90 players in the 2007 class.

I'd much rather have this scenario then reaching for a guy like Patrick Willis and then only having 2 more selections to go after the first day has ended. The Bills could really fortify the youth rebuilding process they began last year. They then would be able to target LB, DT, OG, CB, RB, TE with their selections within the 2nd and 3rd rounds. A couple of these holes will no doubt be addressed in free agency, so the need list will be getting smaller.

With the assumption that Branch is gone as well, I would agree that trading out is the best. I like Justin Blaylock and wouldn't cry too much if we couldn't cut a deal and went with him at twelve. Lots of good offensive and defensive in the bottom half of the first and in the second round and if we could cut a deal and have a late first and two seconds we could do just fine.

who will be on the board that will be entice another team to trade up for?

Okoye would look good in a Bills uniform, but no way do they trade down to take a center. All indications are that the Bills like Fowler at C.

Also, Willis would NOT be a reach. Both the Rams and Carolina would love to have a shot at him. Most mock drafts have Willis going somewhere between 12-14 and many "experts" besides Mel Kiper of course say that Willis is the best MLB prospect since Vilma.

who will be on the board that will be entice another team to trade up for?

There's always some player that slips to number 12 that some team back in the pack will feel is their missing cog that puts them over the top. It would probably be a corner like Revis, a wide receiver like Jarrett or Ginn, a runningback like Peterson or Lynch, an offensive tackle like Brown or one of the two defensive ends like Adams or Anderson. Heck, there's only two standout linebackers in Willis and Timmons that teams know won't be there when they pick further on back. I'm sure the percentages of a team willing to trade with us will be high when it's our turn.

With the assumption that Branch is gone as well, I would agree that trading out is the best. I like Justin Blaylock and wouldn't cry too much if we couldn't cut a deal and went with him at twelve. Lots of good offensive and defensive in the bottom half of the first and in the second round and if we could cut a deal and have a late first and two seconds we could do just fine.

Assuming a trade down a few spots, would Levi Brown be as good a choice for OG? I know he is an OT, but he seems very well regarded.

There's always some player that slips to number 12 that some team back in the pack will feel is their missing cog that puts them over the top. It would probably be a corner like Revis, a wide receiver like Jarrett or Ginn, a runningback like Peterson or Lynch, an offensive tackle like Brown or one of the two defensive ends like Adams or Anderson. Heck, there's only two standout linebackers in Willis and Timmons that teams know won't be there when they pick further on back. I'm sure the percentages of a team willing to trade with us will be high when it's our turn.

If the Bills didn't trade down last year with Leinart and Cutler available, I doubt they trade down this year.

So basically, are you saying that teams are interested in drafting position players? Thank you so much for narrowing down other teams needs to WR, CB, RB, OT, DE and LB. Im glad that now I know noone will be interested in trading up for a S, OG, C, QB, K or P.

Why not simplify it and say, "teams in the back end of the first round may feel the need to sacrafice later picks in order to move up and select a football player who that team feels is essential to their improvement."

Thats like in the old madden games when Madden would say something like "When a player crosses the goalline with possesion of the ball, thats a touchdown!" then summerall would chime in with , "thanks John!"

Anyone feel me on this one?

So basically, are you saying that teams are interested in drafting position players? Thank you so much for narrowing down other teams needs to WR, CB, RB, OT, DE and LB. Im glad that now I know noone will be interested in trading up for a S, OG, C, QB, K or P.

Why not simplify it and say, "teams in the back end of the first round may feel the need to sacrafice later picks in order to move up and select a football player who that team feels is essential to their improvement."

Thats like in the old madden games when Madden would say something like "When a player crosses the goalline with possesion of the ball, thats a touchdown!" then summerall would chime in with , "thanks John!"

Anyone feel me on this one?

there's no more than 8 blue chip players- the talent from 9 - 20 is pretty much interchangeable.

it's fantasy to believe unknown teams will come out of the woodwork to throw picks at the Bills to get a player they could 10 spots later.

there's no more than 8 blue chip players- the talent from 9 - 20 is pretty much interchangeable.

it's fantasy to believe unknown teams will come out of the woodwork to throw picks at the Bills to get a player they could 10 spots later.

Levi Brown - KC, Dallas

Darrelle Revis - Denver, New Orleans

These two players will be there when we pick. The teams I've listed have no shot at drafting these players where there currently are. It's fantasy to think these teams don't covet those players enough and seriously consider trading picks to move up to get them. Please spare us the hyperbole.

Levi Brown - KC, Dallas

Darrelle Revis - Denver, New Orleans

These two players will be there when we pick. The teams I've listed have no shot at drafting these players where there currently are. It's fantasy to think these teams don't covet those players enough and seriously consider trading picks to move up to get them. Please spare us the hyperbole.

If Levi Brown could play LT in the NFL-then he would have value. Too bad he's slated to play RT or OG. Not enough value to move up.

Revis is one of a bunch of CBs- one of which will be available 10-15 picks later. Hell-Revis may be available later as well.

Highly unlikely anyone will be willing to give up much to move to #12.

If Levi Brown could play LT in the NFL-then he would have value. Too bad he's slated to play RT or OG. Not enough value to move up.

Revis is one of a bunch of CBs- one of which will be available 10-15 picks later. Hell-Revis may be available later as well.

Highly unlikely anyone will be willing to give up much to move to #12.

You're the first person I've heard say that Brown's not a left tackle. I've yet to see on the numerous draft sites I've read where that's even disputed. Your second point if completely off. Revis is THE cornerback of the draft, the "bunch" you mention are no where near the player Revis is projected to being. They are considered as a major drop-off in talent level. After Halls poor performances in the last part of the college season there's only one guy teams feel is a can't miss player at this position. It's very likely that the Bills will be fielding offers of teams wanting to trade up in the first come draft day.

You're the first person I've heard say that Brown's not a left tackle. I've yet to see on the numerous draft sites I've read where that's even disputed. Your second point if completely off. Revis is THE cornerback of the draft, the "bunch" you mention are no where near the player Revis is projected to being. They are considered as a major drop-off in talent level. After Halls poor performances in the last part of the college season there's only one guy teams feel is a can't miss player at this position. It's very likely that the Bills will be fielding offers of teams wanting to trade up in the first come draft day.

From Great Blue North Draft Report

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007otprofiles.html

Levi Brown, Penn State... 6-5, 323, 5.25, SR… One of the most productive offensive linemen in the country in a pretty good year at the position; Brown is a prototype road grader drive blocking with a powerful lower body; comes hard off the snap, keeps his pads low and really delivers a pop at the point of attack; really locks onto defender; has decent straight-line quickness and can make a block in space; adequate pass blocker with long arms who is a long way around; has an assertive punch but doesn’t always get much arm extension; tends to be a little heavy-footed and will struggle to stay with fast outside speed rushers; also doesn’t always keep feet alive and has limited change of direction agility. Hard worker with weight-room strength. Summary: Potential mid-to-late first round prospect for 2007, although more a RT prospect because of lack of pure athleticism.

This is consensus bad draft for CBs.

There are no can't miss CBs in this draft that teams would be willing to move up for. Hall has been the highest rated CB and he was consistently abused by good WRs. Revis wasn't challenged much in the Big East - so his productivity is questionable. Hardly a can't miss prospect.