Wade was on my flight today

Dawgg

I was flying from Dallas to Indy and he was on my flight, along with his son Wesley. Very nice dude... reminisced about Buffalo and looks forward to the upcoming season.

I told him that we Bills fans would love to have him back :)

Wade should have never stuck his neck out for his buddy Ronnie Jones.

or fired Bruce Dehaven in the first place for his own failings,

or hired Joe Pendry to run the offense ........

Yet, people will sit around and think about just how "great" Wade was.

or fired Bruce Dehaven in the first place for his own failings,

or hired Joe Pendry to run the offense ........

Yet, people will sit around and think about just how "great" Wade was.

Say what you will, he had the best record in Buffalo Bills history -- even without the headphones.

He made a mistake in hiring Ronnie Jones, no doubt... but it certainly shouldn't overshadow all the good things he did as head coach.

I would take him over GW, Mularkey and Jauron anyday.

Say what you will, he had the best record in Buffalo Bills history -- even without the headphones.

I love Jauron as a head coach, don't get me wrong... and as I've said before, the QB inconsistency was due more to Ralph than the head coach. Ralph Wilson invested $25M in Rob Johnson and was impatient to see what the kid had, even though the team was winning with Flutie. Wade and the staff (and the entire team) wanted Flutie in there as the starter...

Wade had his shortcomings, I just think that they were way overblown and he didn't get much credit for the good things he did.

Jauron's only had 1 season

Think about this...if Wade had been here, we would've had a repeat of 2005 with all the QB jerking around

I love Jauron as a head coach, don't get me wrong... and as I've said before, the QB inconsistency was due more to Ralph than the head coach. Ralph Wilson invested $25M in Rob Johnson and was impatient to see what the kid had, even though the team was winning with Flutie. Wade and the staff (and the entire team) wanted Flutie in there as the starter...

Wade had his shortcomings, I just think that they were way overblown and he didn't get much credit for the good things he did.

You got a link? Considering that Ralph was behind a contract extension for Flutie that paid him more annually than Johnson was getting

Rob's deal was 5 years, $25M=$5M per year

Doug's deal was 4 years, $22M=$5.5M per year

your assertion is kinda ridiculous. Ralph loved Flutie...Butler was the guy behind the RJ deal, not Ralph. Flutie was already under contract in 99...the 2nd year of a 2 year, $575K contract

Think logically...Ralph pushed for a deal that dramatically increased Flutie's salary but he wanted him benched? Give me a break, already.

Is there an article that talks about how it was Ralph who pushed for Johnson to be the starter?

No...and I've been asking for one for years everytime someone makes that ridiculous assertion. All we know is that Ralph approved the switch...everything else is mere conjecture....some of it conceived out of blind love for the diminutive one and hatred for Ralph.

Here's my take:

Flutie struggled mightily in the middle parts of the season : fact...poor decision-making, poor throws, held onto the ball and ran for a few yards rather than throw to wide open WRs either due to a need to hog the spotlight or due to the fact that his arm was like a wet noodle

Considering that Ralph had been the one who pushed for that deal, it was obvious to Wade that Ralph would get upset if he were benched. When the defense helped ensure our spot in the playoffs, Wade made the switch, under the guise of giving Flutie a rest. Johnson performed well that day and Wade received permission from Ralph to make the switch. Of course the timing sucked...not only because we were in the playoffs but also because Flutie had started playing better the previous few games before the benching.

I've yet to find anyone willing to try to refute that with anything factual

You got a link? Considering that Ralph was behind a contract extension for Flutie that paid him more annually than Johnson was getting

your assertion is kinda ridiculous. Ralph loved Flutie...Butler was the guy behind the RJ deal, not Ralph. Flutie was already under contract in 99...the 2nd year of a 2 year, $575K contract

Think logically...Ralph pushed for a deal that dramatically increased Flutie's salary but he wanted him benched? Give me a break, already.

I don't have a link, but I believe that this was a rumour at the time, and it was later confirmed by AJ Smith, of all people...for what it is worth...

I don't have a link, but I believe that this was a rumour at the time, and it was later confirmed by AJ Smith, of all people...for what it is worth...

Yeah...AJ Smith...whose buddy John Butler left after refusing to negotiate a contract extension (causing speculation that the Chargers and Butler had already been talking)...the same AJ Smith who wouldn't even interview for the GM job that Butler left in Buffalo..

Yeah...his word is worth a lot

it's worth the toilet paper that I used a few hours ago

Simple common sense should tell anyone that AJ was full of it

Here's a link. For what it's worth, Wade has also told me himself that he wanted to keep Flutie in there and the entire coaching staff (including then QB coach Turk Schonert) was not high on Rob Johnson at that point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Flutie

Flutie led the Bills to a 10-5 record in 1999 but, in a controversial decision, was replaced by Rob Johnson for the playoffs by coach Wade Phillips, who later said he was under orders from Bills owner Ralph Wilson to do so. The Bills lost 22-16 to the eventual AFC Champion Tennessee Titans in a game that has become known for the Music City Miracle, where the Titans scored on the final play of the game - a kickoff return following the Bills' apparent game-clinching field goal. After the season had ended, Coach Phillips 2000 Flutie was named the Bills' backup and only played late in games or when Johnson was injured, which was often. In fact during the season, Flutie had a 4-1 record as a starter, in comparison to Johnson's 4-7.

No...and I've been asking for one for years everytime someone makes that ridiculous assertion. All we know is that Ralph approved the switch...everything else is mere conjecture....some of it conceived out of blind love for the diminutive one and hatred for Ralph.