Tim Hardaway

\GoBillsInDallas/

Is that directed towards me or towards Hardaway? I'm guessing the latter, I just have seen too many people really struggle with drugs, estrangement from family, and stability in their relationships because they can't come to terms with who they are with these kinds of messages of hatred repeatedly directed at them. I know it's an idiot basketball player and he's got a right to speak his mind. I just have a right to call him wrong.

Just expounded/extrapolated on your statement that perhaps TH doth protest too much.... The list grows long of people who preach fire and brimstone about the evils of homosexuality and then get caught sucking c---.

And absolutely he has a right to his opinion. Doesn't mean that everyone needs to hear it, that the media will harp on it literally into the next millenia. Long after people forget who won which NBA championship, TH will go down in history as being a grade-A bigot. And he's never going to work again.

Remember how our mothers said 'If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing.' LOTS of people in this world would be better off if more people followed DCTom/CTM/BJ's advice in my sig line.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting and dead on quote about "tolerance"...

"If you want to preach tolerance, you need to be tolerant of intolerance."

I think that's a mistake. It's due to an over-reliance on the word 'tolerance' more than the idea it's supposed to stand for, which is living ethically and treating others with the respect you wish to be accorded with.

I don't tolerate people who find in their religious beliefs that it's OK to abuse women because they are supposed to occupy a lower station in society. So, yes, I'm not 100% tolerant. I'll tolerate anyone who wants to come to the table and be open to an ethical belief system and code. I don't have time for much else.

Lordy, he does it again. :lol: But crayonz, neither of those guys was as good or as gay as Chris Mullin. He had it all.

Good example. If Mullin was gay I'm sure Hardaway would have accepted that. Even if Hardaway is repressed, there is not a possibility he would have been attracted to someone as butt ugly as Mullin, so it would not have been a big deal. I think Hardaway's quotes were a bit out of context and this whole thing is overblown. No pun intended.

I think that's a mistake. It's due to an over-reliance on the word 'tolerance' more than the idea it's supposed to stand for, which is living ethically and treating others with the respect you wish to be accorded with.

I don't tolerate people who find in their religious beliefs that it's OK to abuse women because they are supposed to occupy a lower station in society. So, yes, I'm not 100% tolerant. I'll tolerate anyone who wants to come to the table and be open to an ethical belief system and code. I don't have time for much else.

One of the great things about free speech is that EVERYONE has a right to an opinion no matter how hateful, repugnant, ignorant or just outright STUPID it might be.

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of some in the "tolerance" movement.

One of the great things about free speech is that EVERYONE has a right to an opinion no matter how hateful, repugnant, ignorant or just outright STUPID it might be.

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of some in the "tolerance" movement.

I'm not sure it's great but I'm also not sure what's better. A lot of people think things were better when we lived lives in which we censored ourselves more despite always having these same freedoms. I can't say I agree, but you're right, it means we're open to everything. And as I've said before, people are free to hang themselves in public with opinions like this if they so choose. If the majority disagrees, it's not necessarily PC -- it's that they are as free to disagree with the unpopular opinion as the original author of the utterance is to speak his mind.

I recognize the danger of getting into a world of 'ThoughtCrime' and excessive PC-ness. At the same time I in no way want people like Tim Hardaway, or people who share his beliefs, to be running this country, because they would surely be looking to outlaw ideas or actions that I support or believe are not in government's domain. That's why I'm distancing myself a bit from the language of tolerance.

Hardaway: "I hate gay people".

I can see how that can be taken out of context. :lol:

He may have meant in the context of less talented basketball players filling out a roster through some sort of homosexual quota system. When it comes down to it, he really hates the quota system, not the gay guy.

You guys might not like his opinions about sexuality. That is fine. But the FACT is that Hardaway was a much better basketball player than Amechi. It was not even close. He was much better. I think what he was really saying is that guys with Amechi's talent level are a dime a dozen whether they are gay or straight. Guys with Hardaway's talent make a difference. If you look at the quotes closely all he was saying is that the team was better off with him than Amechi.

I think what he REALLY was saying was that he hated gays. Let me check....hmmm...yup...I think the phrase "I hate gays" would probably justify that conclusion.

I think what he REALLY was saying was that he hated gays. Let me check....hmmm...yup...I think the phrase "I hate gays" would probably justify that conclusion.

If he really hated gay guys why did he only blast away at Amechi? Why not say stuff about Rock Hudson or that TV show where the gay guys change the straight guys wardrobe, or Rosie O'Donnell or Tom Brady?

He cares about basketball. If you read the article I'm sure that will come through loud and clear.

or Rosie O'Donnell or Tom Brady?

Wonder how many caught that. :lol:

The point here is that TH had to know that what he was saying would create a firestorm.

To make a broad-brush statement such as "I hate gay people" would have the liberals crying out for Hardaway's head. I think he had to know this. And I would bet that TH knows gay people personally...maybe they haven't told him that he is gay, but they are nonetheless.

I am not a fan of the act. But I don't hate gay people. Just as I don't hate greedy people or people who have adulterous affairs. I've had gay clients, I've had gay friends, and I could not have cared less.

It's a stupid statement, but I think TH had another agenda...I just don't know what it could be at this point, other than getting his name back in the papers.

If he really hated gay guys why did he only blast away at Amechi? Why not say stuff about Rock Hudson or that TV show where the gay guys change the straight guys wardrobe, or Rosie O'Donnell or Tom Brady?

He cares about basketball. If you read the article I'm sure that will come through loud and clear.

This one is going to be tougher than your usual undertakings, crayonz...You're making a solid run at it though....

For a career 43% knuckleball shooter, including 35% from 3-pt land, Timmy should've been more concerned about himself putting it in the hole rather than John Amechi...

Wait a minute...those wardrobe makeover guys on TV are gay????

Wonder how many caught that. :lol:

The point here is that TH had to know that what he was saying would create a firestorm.

To make a broad-brush statement such as "I hate gay people" would have the liberals crying out for Hardaway's head. I think he had to know this. And I would bet that TH knows gay people personally...maybe they haven't told him that he is gay, but they are nonetheless.

I am not a fan of the act. But I don't hate gay people. Just as I don't hate greedy people or people who have adulterous affairs. I've had gay clients, I've had gay friends, and I could not have cared less.

It's a stupid statement, but I think TH had another agenda...I just don't know what it could be at this point, other than getting his name back in the papers.

Pretty puzzling, isn't it? He had to pretty much figure no good would come of it, unless he's looking to get hired by some high-profile talk radio. :lol:

Pretty puzzling, isn't it? He had to pretty much figure no good would come of it, unless he's looking to get hired by some high-profile talk radio. :P

Yes, but as bad as his quoted statement may be, he does have the right to say it.

I believe it was Patrick Henry who stated something along the lines of, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it."

And when we lose that right, we lose our nation. That's part of the peril of living in a free society. We haven't lost that right...yet.

Yes, but as bad as his quoted statement may be, he does have the right to say it.

I believe it was Patrick Henry who stated something along the lines of, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it."

And when we lose that right, we lose our nation. That's part of the peril of living in a free society. We haven't lost that right...yet.

Call me unamerican but I will not die for Tim Hardaway's rights to rant against bad basketball players.

Hey. You have to draw the line somewhere.

ann curry on the today show cracked up after reporting this story, she said she couldnt help it because it was so over the top she couldnt tell if he was kidding or not and the fact that he wasnt made his rant even that much funnier, she also threw al roker under the bus saying he was laughing at it too and that contributed to her cracking up

Just saw it again out West while I was on the treadmill. Not to change the subject--but Ann Curry is a very attractive woman. Its tough to see that behind the kevlar she wears when she is on assignment in Lebanon or wherever....

http://www.reportercaps.com/Home_MSNBC/msnbc_acurry.php

Hardaway: "I hate gay people".

I can see how that can be taken out of context. :lol:

:P

Absolutely the truth right there... If Tim Hardaway doesn't like gays that's one thing... but to come out and seriously say some of the things he said... Man, he's just totally ruined the rest of his career as a public figure. I have to admit I was a huge fan of his when he played. That crossover he used to do, man, he was awesome to watch.

What a douche

T_R