Newt Gingrich

OnTheRocks

For anyone interested in seeing what Newt has to say...he is scheduled to appear on the Charlie Rose show.

I for one am becoming more intrigued by his (not "if" but "when") candidacy.

As a conservative I am not buying into the Giuliani smoke and mirrors sound bytes on Abortion, Gun Control and Gay Rights.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone interested in seeing what Newt has to say.

I for one am becoming more intrigued by his (not "if" but "when") candidacy.

As a conservative I am not buying into the Giuliani smoke and mirrors sound bytes on Abortion, Gun Control and Gay Rights.

If you miss the show, you can go to charlierose.com and watch it there. That's a great site and a lot of interviews are there. Charlie Rose is awesome, by far the best there is as an interviewer IMO.

If you miss the show, you can go to charlierose.com and watch it there. That's a great site and a lot of interviews are there. Charlie Rose is awesome, by far the best there is as an interviewer IMO.

i was looking at it yesterday. it is quite a good site. i wish all news programs provided a full replay.

i was watching the John Mellencamp interview yesterday.

His show is probably the only regularly scheduled show I watch these days.

I don't seem to have a lot of luck getting his site to download cleanly, but I usually see it at night anyway.

I'm looking forward to his Newt Hour.

Charlie Rose is awesome, by far the best there is as an interviewer IMO.

True, that!

Rather than asking a bunch of crap questions, he gets right to the nuggets that matter. And he could get a great interview out of a homeless guy on the corner as much as heads of state, writers, actors, businesspeople.

I don't watch too much television, but why have I not heard of Charlie Rose. What network is he on?

I don't watch too much television, but why have I not heard of Charlie Rose. What network is he on?

In LA he is on at 11 pm or 11:30 or both depending on what TV you get. 24 and 28 on DirecTV, or channel 6 (PBS) on my cable. What makes him the best IMO is that there are no commercials or frills. He deliberately has a single table and chair for him and his guest and there is nothing else anyone can see but black curtains. He's extremely sincere, and the guests love him, so they open up to him. He's smart and informed and doesnt try to invoke his politics, even though he's clearly a liberal democrat. But I think anyone would be hard pressed to see that in his questions. I have never seen an interview show where most every guest, right or left, American or foreigner, famous or a no name, genuinely seem to be honored to be on the show, rather than vice versa.

In LA he is on at 11 pm or 11:30 or both depending on what TV you get. 24 and 28 on DirecTV, or channel 6 (PBS) on my cable. What makes him the best IMO is that there are no commercials or frills. He deliberately has a single table and chair for him and his guest and there is nothing else anyone can see but black curtains. He's extremely sincere, and the guests love him, so they open up to him. He's smart and informed and doesnt try to invoke his politics, even though he's clearly a liberal democrat. But I think anyone would be hard pressed to see that in his questions. I have never seen an interview show where most every guest, right or left, American or foreigner, famous or a no name, genuinely seem to be honored to be on the show, rather than vice versa.

i think this is pretty accurate. i don't know that i have ever seen a conservative on his show get mad at him for the questions he has asked or seen him get mad at a conservative for the answers given. i do think he pampers and fawns a little too much over some of his liberal guests.

I feel the opposite about Charlie. He blathers and bloviates and basically answers questions for the interviewee himself, and never gives me the impression that he's actually listening to the person he has on -- the mark of a really good interviewer, IMO. I am stupefied as to how he gets such great subjects on his show. It certainly appears that it's just me and a few others I know that feel this way, though.

I feel the opposite about Charlie. He blathers and bloviates and basically answers questions for the interviewee himself, and never gives me the impression that he's actually listening to the person he has on -- the mark of a really good interviewer, IMO. I am stupefied as to how he gets such great subjects on his show. It certainly appears that it's just me and a few others I know that feel this way, though.

I think his subjects are attracted to the format. They know they are going to have a chance to air their thinking on a subject matter without the fear of "gotcha" or being pidgeoned into the liberal/convservative echo chambers. Most of his guests either have some kind of excusive insight into a subject or stand starkly against conventional wisdom in some way or another.

As an interviewer he tends to give as much leeway to a Milton Freeman or a Henry Kissinger as he does to any CEO or

author. He does have an annoying habit of paraphrasing at times that is sometimes inexact - but usually gives his guests time to correct it if he has the impression wrong.

There really is no other television format quite like it.

I think his subjects are attracted to the format. They know they are going to have a chance to air their thinking on a subject matter without the fear of "gotcha" or being pidgeoned into the liberal/convservative echo chambers. Most of his guests either have some kind of excusive insight into a subject or stand starkly against conventional wisdom in some way or another.

As an interviewer he tends to give as much leeway to a Milton Freeman or a Henry Kissinger as he does to any CEO or

author. He does have an annoying habit of paraphrasing at times that is sometimes inexact - but usually gives his guests time to correct it if he has the impression wrong.

There really is no other television format quite like it.

It's true that he does offer a platform that's not stuffed into the left/right packaging or the scripted late-night format, which I imagine has to be nice. I just feel like there's got to be someone else who can do what he does a little better. Just me.

It's true that he does offer a platform that's not stuffed into the left/right packaging or the scripted late-night format, which I imagine has to be nice. I just feel like there's got to be someone else who can do what he does a little better. Just me.

To me, when he seems to be answering a question as he asks it, or puts words in his guest's mouth, if you listen closely, it is almost always "you have said that____". He does his homework, and he puts those things his guest has said before into little notes/questions, and then repeats them and wants them to elaborate on or explain them. A guy like Chris Matthews or O'Reilly will just put their own words in the guy's mouth rather than the guy's words.

Thank you. Rose is an embarrasingly painful interviewer who never misses a chance to suck up to his guest during obvious moments.

Is Newt Gingrich still relevant? I heard he wasn't going to run and it is just as well for what passes for the republican party these days. Lemmie see now we have a Newt...and a Mitt...and a *yuk-yuk* Rudy....and an old grandfather Simpson type who loves to tell old War stories.

Very inspiring lot there on the conservative side lemmie tell you.

Thank you. Rose is an embarrasingly painful interviewer who never misses a chance to suck up to his guest during obvious moments.

Is Newt Gingrich still relevant? I heard he wasn't going to run and it is just as well for what passes for the republican party these days.

Very inspiring lot there on the conservative side lemmie tell you.

Is Newt relevant? You better believe it.

He has steadily moved up in various polls while flying below the radar. He has probably made more visits to Iowa in the past year than any other Republican candidate.

And he is extremly important (i wouldn't use the word "inspiring") to people on the right looking for a truly conservative option.