No one gets rich off of government...

TPS

Ok, as a public service I think I should post once a week on articles about government contracts and corruption. Since the right believes it's ok to spend or waste money on defense, and they don't seem to care that more money is wasted in this area because it "says defense spending in the constitution is ok" or something stupid to that effect, I will try to keep up with all of the articles about abuse of government waste in this area. If I wasn't so busy, I'd try to post an article every day. However, since I don't have time--unlike DCtom (in fact I'm wondering what his job is...?), I'll try to post weekly on the subject. And it falls under the subject heading that government does create wealth for a lot of people.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, as a public service I think I should post once a week on articles about government contracts and corruption. Since the right believes it's ok to spend or waste money on defense, and they don't seem to care that more money is wasted in this area because it "says defense spending in the constitution is ok" or something stupid to that effect, I will try to keep up with all of the articles about abuse of government waste in this area. If I wasn't so busy, I'd try to post an article every day. However, since I don't have time--unlike DCtom (in fact I'm wondering what his job is...?), I'll try to post weekly on the subject. And it falls under the subject heading that government does create wealth for a lot of people.

Government contracting, ironically enough.

In the early 1980's the Corps of Engineers @ BFLO District was the center for Great Lakes dredging ops throughtout the lakes... Nice in-house fleet of hopper dredges and work crew working directly for the Corps... Then they decided (around 1983) to contract out those ops... Got rid of the corps crew... I guess went into "project manager mode"... Guess what?... For two years contract stayed flat... Then after the fleet was liquidated, the third year contract increased by about 300%...

I think the hopper dregde Markham is an artificial reef now, sunk off the coast of VA?

No in-house matching and competition? Contracts go up with the "keys to the farm" in the hands of the private entrepreneur...

Now somebody got rich off the back of the gov't... Think we learned "our" lesson? :worthy::pirate:

Better yet... You should have taken the mid-December odds they were offering in Vegas with respect to the Habs winning the Cup...

Now IF they don't even make the playoffs... OUCH! You are sure to incur a big gambling loss and subsequent write off...

All legit too!

:w00t:;):blink::wallbash:

:wallbash:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I was too busy convincing the Habs fans off the ledge. :blink:

Whoa! Don't you understand that by raising taxes the government has more money to spend? And don't you understand that the government spending money is much better than private investment? Oh, wait, that's now waste...or...wait what is it again?

/buttons.scarasm = off

If we have less taxes the government has less money. If the government has less money, the less it can waste. We should only allow the feds the money they need to do things than cannot be done effectively by the states/local governments.

THAT was Alexander Hamilton's thinking. Period. If you don't agree why don't you come over to my place. I will be happy to give you a tour of of the 1st and 2nd "Federal Banks"(or whatever silliness was posted) where his writings are on display. They are only a few blocks from me here in Center City. Moreover, why in the hell is Molson2002 using Alexander Hamilton as an example of current liberal thinking. That guy was the inventor of the dreaded "corporate America" - (Of which I proudly say I am a member, and so is everyone, unless they work for the government or get(our) money from the government).

Please understand that I don't agree fully with Hamilton. We need things like the EPA to make sure states don't get into a bidding war over who will allow the most pollution. We need things like the DOD because we all need to use the same rifles/ammunition, and we can't have the state of Iowa building destroyers to protect it's grain shipments. We need things like the Department of Energy so that one state doesn't hog all the electricity or worse, turn itself into North Korea.

But don't forget that the deregulation of energy in 1995 caused a huge boom in investment in energy companies, increased competition, AND CONTRIBUTED TO MR. CLINTON'S ECONOMY more than he ever did. Also, I am a .com veteran and I can tell you first hand that we simply could not hire enough people fast enough - regardless of taxes - which is why a lot of them failed. Too much work and not enough qualified people to do it. Regardless, we did the work/thinking that made the boom happen - not some politician.

/buttons.scarasm = on

Oh wait, I forgot: Al Gore signed on to a piece of paper that we(techies) designed and put in front of him. Wow, I guess signing your name(Al Gore) and inventing a mobile architecture from scratch(Me) are about equal. You know I would never have come up with this software without Al signing his name. In fact, I am sure there is a Democrat somewhere who will be glad to take credit for all my work(because of tax dollars I was educated, and more silliness). Good thing we got tax dollars to do what we were going to do anyway :lol: And truthfully, those dollars barely scratch the surface of the amount of PRIVATE investment in Technology.