Thurman Thomas VS. Willie McGahee

What the Bills need is a back like Thurman Thomas.

Thurman Thomas was one of the best all around backs in the game. He had a feel, a six sense for the game. Willie McGahee has better pysichal talent, but no feel for the game. He cannot find the hole or make something out of nothing. I would trade him for anything I could get and Draft Marshawn Lynch.

My point was not that Marshawn Lynch was like Thurman Thomas, but McGahee is not Thurman Thomas. McGahee had his chance to prove that he has the skills to be a good back. He Failed. It's time for someone new.

So we must always have a hall of fame running bakc in our backfield. Because hall fo famer RB's are a "dime a dozen", and you can draft one anywhere.

Let's not pretend that Thurman was ALWAYS a team-first, humble, man-of-the-community. There were plenty of grumblings when he was here of fans growing tired of his "I get no respect" off-the-field act. He was a major part of the Bickering Bills squad.

It's a miracle we didn't run him out of town too.

Thurmal always brought it on Sunday, which is why he got a pass on a lot of things, personal problems included. Willis' only issue in Buffalo is his inconsistent performances. I still think Willis somewhere between the 10th and 15th best RB in the league. You don't toss a 1200-yard rusher to the street because he is a poor interview.

you guys" was aimed at everyone calling for Lynch that are so sure he's going to be some all-pro Back. i aint buying it.

Neither is Willie McGahee. Hide your daughters they may become pregnant.

Willis isn't buying it? He's too busy rackin up baby-mommas to be concerned with whether or not he's about to be replaced. I'm not sold on Lynch as he played in a conference not known for defense and is coming out in a very weak RB class. I just wasn't impressed watching him on a weekly basis, and I watched a lot of him as a PAC 10 fan.

Let's not pretend that Thurman was ALWAYS a team-first, humble, man-of-the-community. There were plenty of grumblings when he was here of fans growing tired of his "I get no respect" off-the-field act. He was a major part of the Bickering Bills squad.

It's a miracle we didn't run him out of town too.

Thurmal always brought it on Sunday, which is why he got a pass on a lot of things, personal problems included. Willis' only issue in Buffalo is his inconsistent performances. I still think Willis somewhere between the 10th and 15th best RB in the league. You don't toss a 1200-yard rusher to the street because he is a poor interview.

He didn't get run out of town because the teams he was on generally won and his play cancelled out his minor attitude problems. Willis, on the other hand, opens his mouth and, whether it is taken out of context or not, sticks his foot right inside. On top of that he averages less than 4 yards per carry and is nothing more than an average running back in the NFL. If Willis produced anywhere near Thurmanator numbers then fans would be more willing to put up with his window licking behavior.

2003: We have a proven RB who, while not perfect, is far from the worst starter on the team and is probably one of the best.

Solution: Replace him with our highest draft pick while ignoring other needs that could help the team.

2007: We have a proven RB who, while not perfect, is far from the worst starter on the team and is probably one of the best.

Solution: Replace him with our highest draft pick while ignoring other needs that could help the team.

I love ignoring history... :ph34r:

He didn't get run out of town because the teams he was on generally won and his play cancelled out his minor attitude problems. Willis, on the other hand, opens his mouth and, whether it is taken out of context or not, sticks his foot right inside. On top of that he averages less than 4 yards per carry and is nothing more than an average running back in the NFL. If Willis produced anywhere near Thurmanator numbers then fans would be more willing to put up with his window licking behavior.

I agree with your main premise that what separates Willis from Thurman in terms of fan perception is their performance on the field. However, and I may be remembering this wrong, I wouldn't put Willis' attitude "problems" anywhere NEAR the spectrum of Thurman "I'm the Michael Jordan of this team" Thomas.

Willis wont be here in 2008, he is a baby machine, he cannot find the hole, and the Bills could get an early 2nd round pick for him. Maybe from the Teaxans. Why not trade him while you can and get someone who can be great. Why keep someone becausse there OK. You need great players to Win a Superbowl, not OK players. One Great back could the Bills over the top. Why not be great, not just OK or good.

Willis wont be here in 2008, he is a baby machine, he cannot find the hole, and the Bills could get an early 2nd round pick for him. Maybe from the Teaxans. Why not trade him while you can and get someone who can be great. Why keep someone becausse there OK. You need great players to Win a Superbowl, not OK players. One Great back could the Bills over the top. Why not be great, not just OK or good.

You do not trade Willis because:

1, The Bills are in the drivers seat with him contractually and are under no pressure besides that of some fans who generally are focused more on WM's stupid attitudes toward the responsibilities of being a father (almost all men can be fathers and unfortunately too few are also capable of being parents) or care about his view on financial issues.

In other words, the Bills braintrust can choose to focus only on his performance on the field (merely adequate for a starting RB over his career) and impact he has on team chemistry (seemingly little which is not positive as we want leaders but there are no signs from his teamates of him being negative either) or they can panic and move him.

2, They are in the drivers seat contractually because he actually has a cap hit today which is quite reasonable for his merely adequate output and because coming off a less than 1000 yard season he has zero leverage and would likely hurt himself financially to hold out. If he were to put up great #s in 2007 the Bills have the right to tag and keep him if we want or tag and trade him if they choose to let him go.

3. Folks who want to trade him still have not dealt with the internal contradiction that if he actually sucks so bad or has so little value as a player then why would anyone give anything of value for him in a trade, or alternately if he would produce so much in trade value then we must be losing or simply giving away something of value. One cannot have it both ways. Either he really sucks and we get nothing, or he can produce something and we are giving up something.

4. Trading him is such a speculative move and simply a crapshoot ( particularly if the return is a draft pick since these players regardless of what Mel Kiper says by definition have done nothing at the pro level). Any call to trade needs to at least acknowledge that Marv has decided to roll the dice on alot of the Bills O production nest year by trading away the teams 1 RB with the plan that A-Train will produce as our #1 or that the draftee (if a 1st round pick he is a likely starter, but after that it drops to probable starter, possible. or gosh hope he can start. Generally, the Bills are too risk averse to bank on A-Train despite a few good episodes of back-up wok actually being a #1 RB pr banking on the hopes of a draftee.

At any rate thesmart football move would seem to be to draft an RB on thesecond day that you hope will one day develop into a new #1 and in any case use him as competition to spur WM. Even better, for those worried about WM's motivation, in this pre-FA year he will have a lof of fiscal reasons to produce.

In general stay the course.

If the rest of the team was solid I could see looking to upgrade WM or move him due to character concerns etc.

However, the Bills have too many holes to intentionally go and CREATE another one by trading a quality starting RB.

Deal with the holes you have before making new ones, imho.

impact he has on team chemistry (seemingly little which is not positive as we want leaders but there are no signs from his teamates of him being negative either) or they can panic and move him.

Actually, the reports have all been that the players like Willis. There were plenty of interviews with guys talking out about how much they admired his willingness to play through pain and injury this season. None of the Bills questioned his heart/toughness.

To me, that's a form of leadership.

2003: We have a proven RB who, while not perfect, is far from the worst starter on the team and is probably one of the best.

2007: We have a proven RB who, while not perfect, is far from the worst starter on the team and is probably one of the best.

I love ignoring history... :ph34r:

Thank you.

I love the "We could draft Joe Anyname from New Mexico State in the 5th round and he would be better than Willis" line of thinking. I'm not dillusional- I don't think Willis is LDT, or even Stephen Jackson. However, while there are about 10 or 15 teams who would prefer their current back to Willis, there are also about 10 or 15 teams for whom Willis would be a MAJOR upgrade. (And still, those teams wouldn't offer anything higher than a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.) Sit tight...What is so upsetting about 1100 yards and 7 TD's??? He dances? He has children out of wedlock? He doesn't meet Western New York's obvious high standards for intelligence? Please.

And for two bars I enjoy very much, Coles and Brennans, the #21 bar rag idea is sad and pathetic. And they think Willis is dumb...