Buffalo's 1st 5 picks (in first 3 rounds)

1billsfan

I checked the draft trade value chart for the first trade:

1st round:

Trade back into mid-twenties (gaining a 2nd round pick)

Draft Willis or Timmons LB in the 1st rd.

2nd round:

Draft Brian Leonard FB with original pick

Draft Tony Hunt RB with the second pick.

3rd round:

Trade McGahee for Houston's 3rd rd pick

Draft Tanard Jackson CB with Houston's pick

Draft Ben Grubbs OG with our original pick

Buffalo's 1st 5 picks(3rounds):

Willis or Timmons LB

Leonard FB

Hunt RB

Jackson CB

Grubbs OG

Lastly, I would try to pick up Steinbach OG in FA to further fortify the offensive line.

The only remaining holes would be run stuffing DT, TE and #2 WR which the fourth round pick could help to fill one of them.

i like it but i would keep McGahee and just draft Grubbs in the 3rd.

and i would only trade down in the 1st if Okoye and Branch are already gone by 12.

I just don't think McGahee is a good fit for Buffalo and the time has come to do what's best for both Willis and the Bills. He seems to lack 100% effort and I think it's partly due to him being unmotivated here in Buffalo (it's just a sense I have, I could be wrong but him not gaining 1,000 yards is a red flag regarding this issue). Having a couple of Northeast lunch pail guys like Leonard and Hunt (who both seem better at catching the ball than McGahee) would seem to be a match made in football heaven for our team. Plus we get the added benefit of an extra 3rd round pick which I made on Jackson the CB out of Syracuse.

1st round:

2nd round:

3rd round:

Willis or Timmons LB

Leonard FB

Hunt RB

Jackson CB

Grubbs OG

Lastly, I would try to pick up Steinbach OG in FA to further fortify the offensive line.

The only remaining holes would be run stuffing DT, TE and #2 WR which the fourth round pick could help to fill one of them.

so who will be the hot commodity that will entice a team to give us a 2nd round pick to move up?

most players available in the mid to late 1st round are interchangeable.

why will someone move up?

It takes two to tango and I'm not sure there will be a great demand to move up to #12. I would rather we stay put and take the best DL available. Rather than draft a LB, I would like to see us go after Lance Briggs in free agency. If spikes conntinues to recover, our LB quartet would be impressive, with some good backups to boot. I don't think Willis Mcgahee would bring a 1st rounder, but may bring a 2nd from the right team. Rather than take a third, I would rather see him play his heart out for his next contract. I like Grubbs and Sears as mid rounders. If Clements leaves (likely) then a CB will be a priority.

so who will be the hot commodity that will entice a team to give us a 2nd round pick to move up?

It's contingent on a player dropping that some team way back wants badly enough to give up their second knowing they have no shot at getting that player in the mid twenty range. Guys like Peterson, Lynch, Ginn, Jarrett, Adams, Anderson or Okoye who have huge upsides. It's all hypothetical and based on the trade value chart. Of course there may not be any teams wanting a player that badly, in which case the Bills would make their pick at 12.

Maybe the Giants will do it if they are looking to draft a CB like Hall.

DraftTek in Round 1 here has the 12th-15th picks as follows:

Patrick Willis ILB

Quentin Moses DE

Amobi Okoye DT

Darrelle Revis CB

I think this is a luxurious choice, and I've heard the arguments about taking Willis ILB or Okoye DT.

BUT

Drop down from 12 to #22 in the first round, and you can have:

Ginn WR

Pitcock DT

Sidney Rice WR

M. Bush RB

Still not bad, and the trade value chart gives us a mid-2nd pick in return (Carriker DE, Siler ILB, Rufus Alexander OLB) as well as our original 2nd (Staley OT, Zach Miller TE, maybe Fred Bennett CB).

Siler, Pitcock, and Staley. Not a bad round 1-2.

Let's get crazier.

Want end zone offense with the trade down? How about taking Sidney Rice 6'4" WR, 6'5" Zach Miller (the draft's top rated, great blocking TE), and now trade down once more. Trade the 2nd to drop down from 44 to 55, take HB Blades at ILB, and get pick 110 in mid round 4. Now take Ben Grubbs (our Draft Tek Round 3 OG) in RD#3, and CB AJ Davis with our regular pick in RD#4. You now pick up either OSU's Ryan McBean or --my choice-- Miami's Kareem Brown 6-5 310 (somebody mentioned him as having had a great bowl game) for DT.

Okay, I'm just warming up.

We spend our cap money on locking up Nate and signing FA LB Briggs.

My "Line, Line, Line" Draft:

RD#1: We draft our DT Alan Branch 6-6 325. He's the #1 DT.

RD#2: We draft an OT Joe Staley 6-5 305, who on some boards is the #2 LT prospect.

RD#3: We draft an OG Ben Grubbs 6-3 305, tough run blocker who'd play from Day 1. The #2 OG.

RD#4: We draft WR Jacoby Jones 6-6 with 4.4 speed. His small college drops him to here.

1st round:

2nd round:

3rd round:

Willis or Timmons LB

Leonard FB

Hunt RB

Jackson CB

Grubbs OG

In your "double fantasy" draft.

With make believe trades, you end up with the Bills managing to net 5 choices in the first three round.

Out of the 5 choices you have the Bills selecting only 1 offensive lineman and 0 defensive lineman!!!!!

Thus, I must reject your double fantasy draft for not addressing the trenches.

Back to the drawing board.

I think the concept of trading McGahee makes far more sense to fans who are pissed at him (I am disappointed in his performance but since I really care very little about his stupid attitude toward women and fatherhood or his views on team location, I really care very little about this off the field stuff. If I had any sense it was impacting what his teammates think or team chemistry that is another issue but I have no evidence of that) than it does to the Bills in charge.

Trading him with the idea of a draft pick replacing him seems doubly bad to me as we would be giving up a guy with less production than we wanted last year, but getting rid of a guy who has proven he can gain about 1000 yards or more on the ground for a guy who has not proven anything. This risk is one thing for a fan but something else when your paycheck and team productivity depends on this.

In addition, the idea of wanting to trade him because you think he sucks and then getting something of value for a player who sucks seems contradictory.

The Bills are in the drivers' seat with him contractually. For those who judge him as lacking motivation he should have every fiscal reason to produce prior to FA. After a season judged between bad and disappointing he has zero leverage for a holdout which was hurt him a ton financially if he trued. In addition, he has Rosenhaus who in addition to being an idiot also has a record of his clients not actually holding out.

If he plays great next year fine as you can decide to show him the money of you wish or simply tag him and redo the motivation year or tag and trade him if you hate him.

Getting rid of them this year, particularly for a draft choice seems like a bad football move,

The logical move would seem to be to get a second day draft pick at RN whom you believe MIGHT be able to become your RB of the future, more likely can contribute this year as a replacement for Shaud abd ut is to be hoped provides some competition which joins with the financial need for WM to produce to motivate him.

In general. stay the course sucks as an Iraq strategy. but it looks like a good foorball strategy at RB for us.

Jmo, but I think because of the huge cap increases, most teams have already signed their star free agents. Trades might increase because many teams will be more able to absorb the accelerated bonuses, but if not, this situation could easliy leave the draft as the sole mechanism to improve a franchise. It was always the best way under any circumstances.

In 2001, we gained a 2nd for moving down from 14 to 21. Tampa drafted Kenyatta Walker. I don't remember him being such a hot commodity (I could be wrong). He played LT, and the top prospects at that position frequently go in the top 5.

This year, we are 2 spots better than 14, thus increasing the value of the pick. I think that trading down into the 20s, even the low 20s would bring us at least a 2nd, perhaps more. This is not to say I think we should do it mind you, but I wouldn't hate trading down either.

I think that trading down into the 20s, even the low 20s would bring us at least a 2nd, perhaps more.

If a must have guy is not avail at 12 (whoever the braintrust decides that is) You can't go wrong with trading down. The draft is so hit or miss, I feel like the more picks the better opportunity to get talent, and more ability to fill holes. We have SEVERAL need areas. This is why I was pissed on priciple to gave up picks last year.

I feel like the 1st round is more hit/miss than the 2nd (but have no data to back that up) There is less pressure to draft a player at certain positions in the 2nd round on, if he's good get him.....ie. "You can't draft a guard/fullback/TE etc in the 1st round" So either you reach for a position or player in the 1st.

Hypothetically, I'd prefer 2 2nd round picks to 1 1st rounder.

Jmo, but I think because of the huge cap increases, most teams have already signed their star free agents. Trades might increase because many teams will be more able to absorb the accelerated bonuses, but if not, this situation could easliy leave the draft as the sole mechanism to improve a franchise. It was always the best way under any circumstances.

In 2001, we gained a 2nd for moving down from 14 to 21. Tampa drafted Kenyatta Walker. I don't remember him being such a hot commodity (I could be wrong). He played LT, and the top prospects at that position frequently go in the top 5.

This year, we are 2 spots better than 14, thus increasing the value of the pick. I think that trading down into the 20s, even the low 20s would bring us at least a 2nd, perhaps more. This is not to say I think we should do it mind you, but I wouldn't hate trading down either.

I would like a trade down since most of teh talent is interchangeable in teh mid fist.

Which is the point- who is the can't miss, gotta have player that a team will want to move up for?

I would like a trade down since most of teh talent is interchangeable in teh mid fist.

Which is the point- who is the can't miss, gotta have player that a team will want to move up for?

My point is that there doesn't need to be one. I believe that picks are worth more now because of free agency. :wacko: Also, was McCargo a "can't miss/gotta have?" Or Kenyatta Walker?

I am virtually sure that if we are sitting at the #12 slot on day 1, Marv will once again have numerous offers which will include at least a 2nd. Again, jmo.

Dwayne Jarrett - Denver, KC, Dallas, Tenn

Levi Brown - KC, Dallas

Darrelle Revis - New Orleans

Okoye - Cinn, Denver

Also, if one of the two DEs (Adams or Anderson) falls to us it might bring in some more teams.

I don't think it's s stretch to think we could find a trading partner.

Strongly disagree. All of the picks cited are nice but not necessary. Necessary is fixing the defensive and offensive lines.

I did fix the offensive line with Grubbs in the third and picking up Steinbach in FA.

With Branch likely gone, I don't see a run stuffing DT worthy in the top three rounds. I'm looking for the more sure thing kind of picks. The Bills could take a flyer on a couple of big boy DT in the later rounds like they hit on Williams last year. You can't fix everything in one year and the most likely scenario (if McCargo falls fat on his face again this year) is that DT will be the first pick in 2008.