RIP Barbaro, euthanized today

ACor58

Humanitarian my a$$. They knew he wouldnt survive the injury long term but by keeping him alive it let them build up a nice supply of top shelf horse sperm so they could still make millions off him.

That's awful!!! unfortunately I suspect you are absolutely right. Got enough in the bank...now put the poor thing out of its misery. Cold world out there isn't it?

Humanitarian my a$$. They knew he wouldnt survive the injury long term but by keeping him alive it let them build up a nice supply of top shelf horse sperm so they could still make millions off him.

Nope, that is not correct.

Breeding may have been the ultimate motivation...There's no doubt his stud fees would've been through the roof. However, his sperm alone is no good...Thoroughbred breeding regulations do not allow for artificial insemination- mainly because you pay so much money in stud fees, that the only way to ensure a horse is the father is to make sure he was the one plugging away. Otherwise, you could just sell sperm from the stable horse and say it was from a Triple Crown champion. To make money, they needed his hind leg to be strong enough to support his weight while standing and doing the deed. I think that was always a longshot.

I believe the owners and doctors had the horse's best intentions in mind, and they said all along that if there are setbacks and Barbaro appears to be in discomfort, they would put him down. That seems like what they did. Even though the money he would generate once put out to stud had to be part of the motivation, to me that seems FAR from cruel; running free in a pasture and having sex all day is not the worst way for a horse to live out his golden years....

Breeding may have been the ultimate motivation...There's no doubt his stud fees would've been through the roof. However, his sperm alone is no good...Thoroughbred breeding regulations do not allow for artificial insemination- mainly because you pay so much money in stud fees, that the only way to ensure a horse is the father is to make sure he was the one plugging away. Otherwise, you could just sell sperm from the stable horse and say it was from a Triple Crown champion. To make money, they needed his hind leg to be strong enough to support his weight while standing and doing the deed. I think that was always a longshot.

I believe the owners and doctors had the horse's best intentions in mind, and they said all along that if there are setbacks and Barbaro appears to be in discomfort, they would put him down. That seems like what they did. Even though the money he would generate once put out to stud had to be part of the motivation, to me that seems FAR from cruel; running free in a pasture and having sex all day is not the worst way for a horse to live out his golden years....

You sure know a lot about horse-humpin :)

You have to consider, too, the cost of the care. I could easily see everything Barbaro went through going into seven figures (though I also wouldn't be surprised if UPenn picked up a good chunk of that, seeing as how this was arguably experimental).

If money were the only issue, the owners would have been better served shooting Barbaro immediately and collecting the insurance.

You have to consider, too, the cost of the care. I could easily see everything Barbaro went through going into seven figures (though I also wouldn't be surprised if UPenn picked up a good chunk of that, seeing as how this was arguably experimental).

If money were the only issue, the owners would have been better served shooting Barbaro immediately and collecting the insurance.

I admit to once being one of those "make glue out of 'em types", but when I saw what happened to Barbaro at the Preakness, I was visibly upset for quite a while. That was one of the roughest things I ever endured in sports on TV.

With humans dieing everyday of cancer, AIDS, kids being kidnapped and killed, American Soldiers at war. Who in the $^% cares about a horse who ran around in a circle so people could bet money on. Cut the friggin thing up and feed the poor

Kind of ironic that you would take such offense----I mean with people dying everyday cancer, AIDS, kids being kidnapped and killed, American Soldiers at war, who the $*(&^ cares about football.

Kind of ironic that you would take such offense----I mean with people dying everyday cancer, AIDS, kids being kidnapped and killed, American Soldiers at war, who the $*(&^ cares about football.

Thats true too... But the Government controls football! Without football, Americans would riot and go nuts.... Its bad enough most are drama queens who are fed by the Clinton News Network for their daily dose of gloom and how the Dems are going to clean up this country....

I admit to once being one of those "make glue out of 'em types", but when I saw what happened to Barbaro at the Preakness, I was visibly upset for quite a while. That was one of the roughest things I ever endured in sports on TV.

Not for me. As far as enjoyment, it was right up there with Tanya taking a crowbar to Nancy. :)

Lighten up. Afterall, it is only a horse of course of course......