steinbach

Bash_Gash

Yeah, I think that if they do go after Steinbach or Dielman and offer him more than Peters is making, they have to let JP know beforehand and promise him they'll take care of him when they can (like you said, since his deal was recently redone, he'll have to wait a year from that date).

Are you kidding me???? Peters had some leverage before he signed his contract with Donahoe.

He signed what looked like a fair contract for both sides at the time and it gave him the security he was looking for coming off a free agent rookie contract.

Tough sh--!!iif he is not the highest paid player on the line!!

Look at every teams salary structure-they are all skewed. Every team has players that are over and under payed.

ITS TIME TO FINALLY SOLIDIFY THE LINE- GET 'ER DONE MARV!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guards ain't worth the money. When are people on the wall going to understand what positions are priorites and which are not. Lets get a safety lets get a FB, Lets get a guard. Upgrade the most important positions and then get to the less important ones.

Football is a game of matchups. Say you've got a DT who consumes two blockers on every play. Obviously using up one of your players for two of theirs creates a lot of options for the other ten guys you've got on defense. So you pay the DT big bucks because of what he brings.

But now let's say some other team signs an elite guard who can block that DT one-on-one. Their elite guard is canceling out your highly-paid DT. That makes the elite guard worth big bucks, just like the DT. Maybe even more money, because the guard is on the field every offensive snap; instead of being part of some rotation.

PS If the Bills wanted Steinbach in uniform, they would have drafted him several years ago instead of our GM acting like he is smarter than everyone else in drafting a 1 legged RB instead. :)

Couldn't agree with you more. The irony is Steinbach would be leaving the Bills now and we wouldn't have won anything with him on board. Very sad commentary.

Football is a game of matchups. Say you've got a DT who consumes two blockers on every play. Obviously using up one of your players for two of theirs creates a lot of options for the other ten guys you've got on defense. So you pay the DT big bucks because of what he brings.

But now let's say some other team signs an elite guard who can block that DT one-on-one. Their elite guard is canceling out your highly-paid DT. That makes the elite guard worth big bucks, just like the DT. Maybe even more money, because the guard is on the field every offensive snap; instead of being part of some rotation.

Great logic coming from HA, I am astounded. :)

j/k Seriously this is a great post. I love this economic canceling out idea. Based on this I say:

"Niet. Pay that man his money."

Why? Why on earth would you say this? Our guards are pathetic. Remember last year when our secondary was said to be in such dire need? We went full throttle after DBs. Was that OK?

Steinbach and Peters would offer JP a super athletic left side. Do you think his game would improve. The thing is, Steinbach is very good, and Gandy sucks.

I say it, because I dont feel guards in general are worth that much money. Besides Dockery and Diehl are better then the guards we've brought in, in the past. The redskins had the highest ypc running to the left side of their line. Dockery could very well be the type of monster run blocker we need here. David Diehl has been a starter since his rookie year and has played both guard and tackle.

Yes Steinbach is a great player, but he's not the best player available in free agency and not the guy we should target first and foremost. If he could be had without throwing Hutchinson type money at him fine. Can you name me a 50 million dollar guard on either of the teams in the superbowl or any of the teams that were in the confrence championships? I'll pass on throwing boatloads of cash on a guard. and draft someone like Josh Beekman, Manuel Ramirez or Ben Grubbs and grab a Dockery, Diehl or Leonard Davis in free agency. Re-sign Nate and make a run at a marquee player ala Lance Briggs.

As for drafting db's in the top 10-15 I don't like it. I believe you win drafting defense first. As they generally adapt quicker then offensive players. Building front to back of course dline-lb's-db's. No safety imo is worth a top 10 pick regardless of who it is. Hopefully we won't have to go hard after db's again.

This is a no brainer. Why would we sign Steinbach if we had the money to pay for Clements? Defense wins.

Because we have won so much with Clements over the last 6 years. The bills record with him on the roster is 38-58. Time to try something new.

...I hope we pick him up and he could filll the hole of Villarial or Gandy *(which, since I'm from IUP, I think Gandy should go rather than Villiy, haha)

Sorry, but I'd keep Gandy @ LG and dump Villarrial. And it has nothing to do w/ my being a former Shippensburg Red Raider, either.

Because we have won so much with Clements over the last 6 years. The bills record with him on the roster is 38-58. Time to try something new.

So he's the reason why we are 38-58? I agree that we need a changes but not at this position. If we want our secondary to be strong for years to come then having Nate on the team will help. A solid corner is hard to find and Clements is the guy to resign.

Remembered this little clip from the the Columbus Dispatch:

The Bengals must decide whether to try and re-sign offensive lineman Eric Steinbach, but team officials know it will cost them to bring him back. With the salary cap increasing, most teams will have money to spend and some figure to throw big offers Steinbach's way. Plus, Cincinnati's situation is complicated by offensive tackle Levi Jones' bad knees.

Jones has missed nine weeks and said he is going to Los Angeles to see a doctor, who might recommend surgery. If Cincinnati re-signs Steinbach and Jones returns, what will the Bengals do with Andrew Whitworth, a second-round draft pick who's worthy of starting? But if the Bengals don't re-sign Steinbach, that means they are counting on Jones.

For that reason, what the Bengals do with Steinbach should be a good indication of how they feel about Jones' status -- although it's still possible Steinbach will decide to leave.

Steinbach likes Cincinnati, but he has done everything the Bengals have asked, is finishing up his rookie deal and apparently would like to cash in big if he can. Even if the Bengals are worried about Jones' status, it's uncertain they will be the team offering the most money.