Next Jim Kelly? Don't Count on it

Ctown

Maybe it's just me, but I'm okay with not looking for another Hall of Fame quarterback if we win.

It's not just you. JP doesn't have to be a Hall of Famer...just needs to play well

Anyway, I don't think any proof has been offered as to why JP can't be a HOF QB. There's no quota that we can't exceed or anything :mellow:

Did you notice how well Thurman could SEE a hole to run through? This was his best asset imo, and I don't think it can be taught. There are plays where Willis is dancing, and Thurman would have been through the hole already. He also knew how to fall for extra yards. His balance was unreal. Remember, Thurman lacked ideal speed and size, yet he could do it all.

One clear edge that Willis has over Thurman is power (due to his size). Give Willis a head of steam and he is fast for that a big man, and tough to take down. Unfortunately, Willis doesn't get much room from his blockers (other than Peters). With an improved OL Willis will be a much better back (assuming this ever happens), but Thurman was more versatile, and clearly superior.

atleast he had a hole to run through, there's no way Willis will ever be close to what TT was if we don't fix the Oline.

Is there anyone smart enough to figure out the probablity of the Bills ever getting another HOF QB and therefore getting back to the SB?

I think its pretty low just because of the fact that there are so few franchises with two HOF QB?

There's a reason they're called "franchise" QBs as they're often a once in lifetime type player. While Jim Kelly was the best QB ever to where a Bills jersey I don't rate him among the all time greats. As think he compares to Jake Delhomme.

Not to hijack your thread, but I watched the game last night as well and what struck me (much more than the quarterback play) was as high as some people are on McGahee, he is not...nor will he ever be...a Thurman Thomas.

15 carries, 135 yards.

Drives me nuts just imagining the outcome had he received 8 more handoffs.

Did you notice how well Thurman could SEE a hole to run through? This was his best asset imo, and I don't think it can be taught.

It can't be taught. Either you have it or you don't, and this "vision" is what separates good from great athletes.

It's akin to Ted Williams being able to read the label of a record while spinning at 78 RPM. Maybe the Bills should use that as a test for potential draft picks?

Wow. People here never cease to amaze me. I won't even begin to discuss that ridiculous stance.

Why's it ridiculous? Let me guess it's ridiculous because Kelly was a 1st Round pick and Delhomme went undrafted? Here's my points of comparison Delhomme like Jimbo excelled in a league other the NFL to start his career (NFL Europe vs USFL) has a comparable completion percentage (59.5 vs 60.1), a similar yard per attempt (7.2 vs 7.4) has a better TD: INT ratio (1.46 vs 1.35) and like Kelly helped lead his team to 2 Championship games in his first 4 seasons a starter. Who knows, he might even have better numbers had he been able to start in New Orleans his first two seasons in the NFL.

I was suffering through watching SB XXV last night. Through all the suffering, a slight appreciation of how good that team and others were and how lucky we were to expierence those times. It made me feel better. We had Kelly, a HOF QB. I started to think, we were lucky. How many teams get to have a HOF QB play for them? Its been 10 years since he retired, and we have yet to find his replacement. Here are some depressing stats to think about when hoping for the next Jimbo:

23 HOF QB's

3 Teams have had two (Miami, SF, Dalas)

That means 20 Franchises have had HOF QB's in the history of Football.

40 SB Winners. 28 of them by HOF QB's

45/80 QB's playing in SB are in HOF (I included Brady as a HOF)

Is there anyone smart enough to figure out the probablity of the Bills ever getting another HOF QB and therefore getting back to the SB?

I think its pretty low just because of the fact that there are so few franchises with two HOF QB?

Hopefully Losman never has to be Jim Kelly. We don't have anyone comparable to Hull, Ritcher, Thomas, Bruce, McKeller, Lofton, Reed, Bruce, Bennett, Wright, or Talley either