Next Jim Kelly? Don't Count on it

Ctown

I was suffering through watching SB XXV last night. Through all the suffering, a slight appreciation of how good that team and others were and how lucky we were to expierence those times. It made me feel better. We had Kelly, a HOF QB. I started to think, we were lucky. How many teams get to have a HOF QB play for them? Its been 10 years since he retired, and we have yet to find his replacement. Here are some depressing stats to think about when hoping for the next Jimbo:

23 HOF QB's

3 Teams have had two (Miami, SF, Dalas)

That means 20 Franchises have had HOF QB's in the history of Football.

40 SB Winners. 28 of them by HOF QB's

45/80 QB's playing in SB are in HOF (I included Brady as a HOF)

Is there anyone smart enough to figure out the probablity of the Bills ever getting another HOF QB and therefore getting back to the SB?

I think its pretty low just because of the fact that there are so few franchises with two HOF QB?

I was suffering through watching SB XXV last night. Through all the suffering, a slight appreciation of how good that team and others were and how lucky we were to expierence those times. It made me feel better. We had Kelly, a HOF QB. I started to think, we were lucky. How many teams get to have a HOF QB play for them? Its been 10 years since he retired, and we have yet to find his replacement. Here are some depressing stats to think about when hoping for the next Jimbo:

23 HOF QB's

Is there anyone smart enough to figure out the probablity of the Bills ever getting another HOF QB and therefore getting back to the SB?

I think its pretty low just because of the fact that there are so few franchises with two HOF QB?

Give Jim Kelly this offensive line in that game and you have JP Losman with no mobility. Did you actually watch that game? Kelly made tons of mistakes. And he had all the time in the world on a lot of occasions.

Not to hijack your thread, but I watched the game last night as well and what struck me (much more than the quarterback play) was as high as some people are on McGahee, he is not...nor will he ever be...a Thurman Thomas.

ARE YOU READING THE SAME BOARD?

I don't think anyone thinks we have another TT here

Thurman Thomas was an AWESOME running back. OJ...Thurman...and then a bunch of other guys.

You're not kidding, man. I wish we had a guy who was so dangerous every time he touched the ball. He, Faulk, and Tomlinson have to be the best, most complete backs I've seen in my time.

As a pure runner, I'd say Barry Sanders. But as a total offensive weapon, you have to go with one of these three, I think.

There are more than enough people here willing to suffer his off-field behavior because of his on-field behavior.

Thurman was a Caddy, McGahee is a Cavalier, and the other options are taking the bus. I'd rather have the Caddy but the Cavalier is way better than riding the bus.

I know, I am not one of the ones wanting to see him leave, I just have not seen one person here that thinks he is the next TT, many here expect him to be or wish he was though

Yeah, I really didn't mean to imply that people thought he was another TT. But we want him to be a hard runner, good receiving back, and a good blocker on the blitz. At times it seems like he is progressing to that end, but then you watch TT and you realize he's not even close. There was a stark difference between what I remembered about Thurman's play and what I saw last night.

Yeah, I really didn't mean to imply that people thought he was another TT. But we want him to be a hard runner, good receiving back, and a good blocker on the blitz. At times it seems like he is progressing to that end, but then you watch TT and you realize he's not even close. There was a stark difference between what I remembered about Thurman's play and what I saw last night.

Did you notice how well Thurman could SEE a hole to run through? This was his best asset imo, and I don't think it can be taught. There are plays where Willis is dancing, and Thurman would have been through the hole already. He also knew how to fall for extra yards. His balance was unreal. Remember, Thurman lacked ideal speed and size, yet he could do it all.

One clear edge that Willis has over Thurman is power (due to his size). Give Willis a head of steam and he is fast for that a big man, and tough to take down. Unfortunately, Willis doesn't get much room from his blockers (other than Peters). With an improved OL Willis will be a much better back (assuming this ever happens), but Thurman was more versatile, and clearly superior.

Best player on the field that night, no matter whose name is listed as MVP.

Give Jim Kelly this offensive line and you have JP Losman with no mobility. Did you actually watch that game? Kelly made tons of mistakes. And he had all the time in the world on a lot of occasions.

That was not my point. He is a HOF QB and only 22 others got that distinction. I'm not here to argue whether or not he had a good game or compare him to anyone else. Any HOF QB with out a good supporting cast will have a tough time succeeding, but a crappy QB on a great team is still just crappy.

Again my overall point is, it will be tough to ever find "the next Jim Kelly" in Buffalo.

Thurman did not have ideal speed and size, yet he could do it all.

Although I thought this was about Jimbo, I have to reply to Bill from NYC about T.T.

Having had the good fortune to see the BILLS destroy the fins more than once at JOE ROBBIE.

I can recall my first live action impression of Thurman Thomas in his prime.

OH MY GOD,he was fast and quick . He made EVERYONE else on the field look like they were in slow motion.

My take was if not for Thurman and Andre we would not have been to the big show once, no matter who the QB was.

Watching JT last year I have no doubt with a winning team around him , he can take us there.

Did you notice how well Thurman could SEE a hole to run through? This was his best asset imo, and I don't think it can be taught. There are plays where Willis is dancing, and Thurman would have been through the hole already. He also knew how to fall for extra yards. His balance was unreal. Remember, Thurman lacked ideal speed and size, yet he could do it all.

One clear edge that Willis has over Thurman is power (due to his size). Give Willis a head of steam and he is fast for that a big man, and tough to take down. Unfortunately, Willis doesn't get much room from his blockers (other than Peters). With an improved OL Willis will be a much better back (assuming this ever happens), but Thurman was more versatile, and clearly superior.

Definitly

He still may not come close to TT, but he will be atleast top 10 in the league. TT had a very good line that opened holes long enough for thurman to get through. Willis has very little time to find holes and go through, thats why he is known for "dancing" around the line. You already limit him when you run him only to one side and then have little holes to go up the middle.

23 HOF QB's

Maybe it's just me, but I'm okay with not looking for another Hall of Fame quarterback if we win.