Nate Clements' market value takes a big drop

Asante Samuel played himself into a Washington Redskins uniform last night (and throughout the playoffs) and into Dan Snyder's wallet.

Clements value had taken a drop as it's clear that Samuels will not only test the FA market but likely bolt from the Pats.

http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/index....xml&coll=1 (see bottom 3rd of article)

Samuel, who had 10 interceptions in the regular season, had two picks in the postseason. He has a total of 19 interceptions, regular season and postseason, in a four-year career. He wants big money. He said the Patriots have balked.

"We've talked about a new contract," Samuel said last week. "What they offered isn't even worth discussing. It's disappointing. You want to believe they know what you've done, so you hope for the best, but you end up feeling underappreciated. You feel disrespected, especially how they come at you with so much negative stuff.

"I took it personally, at first. You'd think I would have been around this team long enough to realize it's all about business."

Asante Samuel played himself into a Washington Redskins uniform last night (and throughout the playoffs) and into Dan Snyder's wallet.

Clements value had taken a drop as it's clear that Samuels will not only test the FA market but likely bolt from the Pats.

http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/index....xml&coll=1 (see bottom 3rd of article)

Samuel, who had 10 interceptions in the regular season, had two picks in the postseason. He has a total of 19 interceptions, regular season and postseason, in a four-year career. He wants big money. He said the Patriots have balked.

"We've talked about a new contract," Samuel said last week. "What they offered isn't even worth discussing. It's disappointing. You want to believe they know what you've done, so you hope for the best, but you end up feeling underappreciated. You feel disrespected, especially how they come at you with so much negative stuff.

"I took it personally, at first. You'd think I would have been around this team long enough to realize it's all about business."

Ty Law reincarnated.

No one said "how dare he". :worthy:

Sorry, knee jerk reaction on my part. I read an enigmatic comment and assume the worst. :lol:

So do you just mean he's another good player the Pats will let walk?

How has that effected Nate Clements value, as he was already rated as a better FA corner than Nate.

I have news for you, the more money that Asante Samuels gets, the more money that Nate Clements will get.

Nate's value did not go anywhere. He is still the best CB going into free agency. His play will be judged on his 5 year play, not what Asante Samuel did this year.

There are GM's who already want his services without even mentioning Asante Samuel

Sorry, knee jerk reaction on my part. I read an enigmatic comment and assume the worst. :worthy:

So do you just mean he's another good player the Pats will let walk?

I think the Patriots will let him walk because he is, in Bill Belichik's mind, replaceable. Is he wrong? He may be, he may not be. But i think Belichik is going to find out. The only difference between Samuel and Law is that Law actually stayed with the team for a longer period of time.

I think also that he will leave the Patriots organization, have one year of success, and you will only hear about him because of the big contract he will sign with the Redskins, and then slowly fade out.

I think the Patriots will let him walk because he is, in Bill Belichik's mind, replaceable. Is he wrong? He may be, he may not be. But i think Belichik is going to find out. The only difference between Samuel and Law is that Law actually stayed with the team for a longer period of time.

I think also that he will leave the Patriots organization, have one year of success, and you will only hear about him because of the big contract he will sign with the Redskins, and then slowly fade out.

The Redskins, where promising careers go to die.

i think that at week 17's end Clements was the best CB going into FA. and samuels was very close behind him.

now after the showcasing of the playoff stage and the very good performance, samuels may have jumped him in value.

teams know that when they hit the big stage, samuels will perform. no one can say that for nate(whether its his fault or not). that says a lot for someone's value.

edit: and i agree, we are stupid and not serious about putting a winning team together, if we let nate walk.

I think it's not hard to make the case that Nate Clements is a better cornerback than Asante Samuel. On the other hand, there have been a heck of a lot more people watching Asante play while Nate toils on regional coverage. That means that Snyder knows he can sell a lot more Samuel jerseys than Clements jerseys next year, and that will drive up the price in a hurry.