Interesting Article From Charlotte NC

That was a very good article and about sums it up. I wish we had chosen the Carolinas when we came down here ten years ago now over Atlanta. I've never felt very welcome here. The conditions up there simply cannot continue forever.

Though I love the first comment to the article. Learn to be nice all of you mean New Yorkers!. :D

-Jeff

There are a bunch of us here....Although I took the half-backer route. Moved all the way down to south florida in 1978 and moved half way back in 2005. North Carolina is awesome. The western New Yorkers that I have met are great...it is the New Yorkers from other places in NY that give us a bad name. They complain all the time...UGH.

There are a bunch of us here....Although I took the half-backer route. Moved all the way down to south florida in 1978 and moved half way back in 2005. North Carolina is awesome. The western New Yorkers that I have met are great...it is the New Yorkers from other places in NY that give us a bad name. They complain all the time...UGH.

The thing that is ironic is the New Yorkers (which I am) complain about how great something is in NY or this is how we did up there and people in Charlotte are like well why you are here then?

Charlotte is not perfect but I think it beats the ATL in that it is still has a smaller feel like Buffalo. In the end until Buffalo gets the jobs and the best job is no longer a government job up there I think many of us will be just visiting and wishing it was different.

I admit, I complain all the time about food and grocery stores here in New Hampshire (always baked, never fried). They bread their wings and then bake them. I'm not even sure what sauce they use, but it sure isn't Franks. I can't wait to visit Buffalo next month, go to Wegmans to stock up on some local essentials (i.e., Sahlens), hit up Mighty, Duffs, etc.

Up in NH however, I cannot complain about the smaller government, no income tax, no sales tax and a decent economy. My vote actually counts here also! Being surrounded by ski resorts helps as well.

The thing that is ironic is the New Yorkers (which I am) complain about how great something is in NY or this is how we did up there and people in Charlotte are like well why you are here then?

Charlotte is not perfect but I think it beats the ATL in that it is still has a smaller feel like Buffalo. In the end until Buffalo gets the jobs and the best job is no longer a government job up there I think many of us will be just visiting and wishing it was different.

Yeah, I think you're right. I've spent a bit of time in Knoxville and other places in TN and I agree with you. The smaller feel makes all the difference. I often wonder if I'd want to get out of NYC or LA as bad as I'd like to move away from Atlanta sometimes. Is it the location or the size?

I complain all the time. Overcrowding. Traffic. Lack of "feel good" food. They're building a 12 THOUSAND house development right near my neighborhood - and there's one 2 lane road. When it comes down to it, it's simply because I' homesick.

Jeff

I admit, I complain all the time about food and grocery stores here in New Hampshire (always baked, never fried). They bread their wings and then bake them. I'm not even sure what sauce they use, but it sure isn't Franks. I can't wait to visit Buffalo next month, go to Wegmans to stock up on some local essentials (i.e., Sahlens), hit up Mighty, Duffs, etc.

Up in NH however, I cannot complain about the smaller government, no income tax, no sales tax and a decent economy. My vote actually counts here also! Being surrounded by ski resorts helps as well.

I went to school in New Hampshire and loved it. Where in New Hampshire are you? It is a beautiful state!

I live in Concord and work up in North Sutton. Where'd you go to school here? A friend of mine (coincidentally I grew up in Amherst swimming with both him and his brother who also moved to NH) moved here at the same time as me to be an admissions counselor at SNHU.

The problem I have with moving down south is the lack of skiing. I like being able to drive less than an hour in any direction and be able to hit a ski resort.

I live in Concord and work up in North Sutton. Where'd you go to school here? A friend of mine (coincidentally I grew up in Amherst swimming with both him and his brother who also moved to NH) moved here at the same time as me to be an admissions counselor at SNHU.

The problem I have with moving down south is the lack of skiing. I like being able to drive less than an hour in any direction and be able to hit a ski resort.

I went to school at Keene State. The skiing is fantastic in NH and Vermont- I could see why you would not want to leave that. My bro is a ski bum up at Stowe this year

I migrating south and have lived in NC, SC and GA.

A few reasons why I would never move back.

* Economy

* Weather

* Things to do

* Taxes

* Roads

* People

All are reasons I hear all of the time with the exception of one. People?

-Jeff

All are reasons I hear all of the time with the exception of one. People?

-Jeff

The people I have come across in NC are great. You just have to get past the occasional religious zealot. But still better then the arrogance and snottiness of south fl..

The people I have come across in NC are great. You just have to get past the occasional religious zealot. But still better then the arrogance and snottiness of south fl..

I bought some property in the NC Mountains last year with plans on being a "halfback" a few years from now.

You're right, S. Fla sucks. I bought out in the middle of nowhere NC. Surrounded by National Forest. Bills games will only be a good days drive away. Can't wait. ;)

I bought some property in the NC Mountains last year with plans on being a "halfback" a few years from now.

You're right, S. Fla sucks. I bought out in the middle of nowhere NC. Surrounded by National Forest. Bills games will only be a good days drive away. Can't wait. ;)

Dude that is my dream...That is awesome.

Dude that is my dream...That is awesome.

Wife and I thought about moving back up north to either WNY or PA, and doing the snowbird thing. We also looked in Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico, but decided NC was closer to family. Plus once we saw the Western NC area we fell in love with it.

Just saw in the local paper down her in Fl. today that several boat building companies are moving from Florida to NC. Mostly due to lower Taxes and Insurance.

Wife and I thought about moving back up north to either WNY or PA, and doing the snowbird thing. We also looked in Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico, but decided NC was closer to family. Plus once we saw the Western NC area we fell in love with it.

Just saw in the local paper down her in Fl. today that several boat building companies are moving from Florida to NC. Mostly due to lower Taxes and Insurance.

That is a beautiful area. I'm fond of the East Tennessee area, too. The people are wonderful and the natural surroundings can't be beat unless you want to move out to the middle of nowhere. That whole TN/NC I-40 stretch there is a great piece of the country (and one of the only stretches of non-urban interstate on the east coast that I can drive without wanting to fall asleep at the wheel).

Most of Buffalo's and upstate New York's problems are self-inflicted. It's a combination of every other person earning a paycheck from some level of government (state, county, city, village) and a general sense of entitlement. There is no incentive to reduce inefficiency and no willingness to make sacrifices for the greater good. The whole region is circling the drain. The Bills will be gone, the Sabres will follow, and the whole region will just wither away. It's sad, but when people won't take steps to make the necessary changes to reverse the decline, it's hard to feel sorry.

PTR

South Fla sucks bad...The crime, the drugs and the overall smugness of people was intolerable. The western nc/eastern tenn. area is awesome. The family and I went there in November for a week. We stayed in Gatlinburg and it was superb. The people and the culture are intoxicating. It inspired me to learn the banjo and every time I play it, it takes me back there.

That's all very factual.

I left in 1970 for most of the same reasons.

When I left: you could still drive on lower Main Street, Bethlehem AND Republic Steel were still working, you could take a flight out of BUF, on a real full sized airplane, that was not 30-35 years old, and usually not have to go through some hub to get where you wanted to go, there were still tolls on the Niagara Thruway but they were in the .15 or .25 range with signs saying NO PENNIES, the BROADWAY Market was a real Market, the ROCKPILE was still the ROCKPILE, tha AUD was still the AUD, the BILLS trained at Niagara University, the Fr. Baker Bridge was still standing and being used, the Peace Bridge was less than 50 years old, still inadequate to handle the traffic, but the toll was .25 on the way to Crystal Beach.

Since leaving I've lived in: N. VA, Seattle, Chicago, Houston, Seattle again, Williamsburg VA and now S of Richmond VA.

In EVERY location, I have had NO trouble finding BILLS/SABRES bars filled with people much like myself and much like the people depicted in the Charlotte article.

Buffalo is my home town. Despite all the places I have lived, I still enjoy an occasional visit but resist relocating back due to sales and property taxes and politicians who seem to go out of their way to further stifle economic growth both personal and business.

For those who stayed; thanks for keeping the lights on. For those who left; you did what was best for yourselves and family, but Buffalo is still Home!