Hillary Clinton takes first step for 2008 U.S. race

Tux of Borg

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArtic...ia-284390-2.xml

Hillary Clinton takes first step for 2008 U.S. race

Sat Jan 20, 2007

By Ellen Wulfhorst

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Democratic U.S. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said on Saturday she planned to form an exploratory committee for the 2008 presidential race, the first step toward becoming a candidate for her party's nomination.

"I'm in. And I'm in to win," Clinton wrote on her Web site that reads "Hillary for President."

The second-term U.S. senator from New York and former U.S. first lady had been widely anticipated to announce her bid to become the first woman to win the U.S. presidency. She is considered a front-runner among five other candidates in the Democratic White House field.

"I am forming a presidential exploratory committee. I am not just starting a campaign though, I am beginning a conversation with you, with America," she said in a videotaped message on her Web site.

"After six years of George Bush it is time to renew the promise of America," she said.

President George W. Bush was elected to a second four-year term in 2004.

Her announcement comes days after a similar move by Democratic Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, whose campaign could make him the first black U.S. president. His candidacy has stoked enthusiasm among Democrats looking for an alternative to Clinton, who some fear could be too polarizing to defeat a Republican candidate next year.

The wife of former President Bill Clinton made history with her bid for U.S. Senate in New York in 2000, becoming the first former first lady to win one of the most powerful political jobs in the nation.

Clinton, 59, was re-elected by a huge margin to a second Senate term in November.

AIMING AT BUSH

In her posted written statement, Clinton took immediate aim at what she called "six years of Bush administration failures."

"I have never been afraid to stand up for what I believe in or to face down the Republican machine," she wrote. "Only a new president will be able to undo Bush's mistakes and restore our hope and optimism.

"Only a new president can renew the promise of America -- the idea that if you work hard you can count on the health care, education, and retirement security that you need to raise your family. These are the basic values of America that are under attack from this administration every day," she wrote.

"And only a new president can regain America's position as a respected leader in the world."

Clinton said she would be launching a series of live, online video conversations with voters, beginning on Monday.

Before officially declaring her candidacy for U.S. Senate in 2000, Clinton traveled around New York on a "listening tour" to meet voters and hear their issues.

Prior to her husband's two terms in the White House, Clinton was a successful attorney and advocate of children's rights, a former member of several corporate boards and public-interest boards. She was active in causes ranging from lowering infant mortality to providing legal assistance to the poor.

"Let's talk about how to bring the right end to the war in Iraq and restore respect for America around the world," she said a videotaped message on her Web site, mentioning several issues she would address in her campaign such as energy, health care and retirement security.

Clinton worked on the House of Representatives committee on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon. She attended Yale Law School where she met fellow student Bill Clinton and followed her husband to Little Rock, Arkansas, where he was governor and she was a lawyer, mother and political wife.

(Additional reporting by Doina Chiacu in Washington)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do you think I could make if I started pressing "Not Hillary '08" Merchandise now?

A few hundred thousand, just set up your headquarters in Texas. I don't have that big a problem with Hilary but the fact that every Republican, plus every sexist automatically not voting for her really minimizes her chance for success.

A few hundred thousand, just set up your headquarters in Texas. I don't have that big a problem with Hilary but the fact that every Republican, plus every sexist automatically not voting for her really minimizes her chance for success.

As well as many moderate to conservative democrats

Hillary Clinton isn't a man?

While I agree, that conservatives wont vote for her, the problem is that there are few (if any) credible true conservatives running on the republican side. Unless there is a big "anti-hilary" vote, I see this as a big problem. People may choose to stay home, because once again, the lesser of two evils will be running.

That said, She may not win the nomination. Obama is a much stronger candidate due to his personality and lack of a record. (Ironic that helps...).

But I just dont see McCain, Guiliani, Romney or some of these lesser known candidates running the table too easily.

Dark Horse: Ron Paul

While I agree, that conservatives wont vote for her, the problem is that there are few (if any) credible true conservatives running on the republican side. Unless there is a big "anti-hilary" vote, I see this as a big problem. People may choose to stay home, because once again, the lesser of two evils will be running.

That said, She may not win the nomination. Obama is a much stronger candidate due to his personality and lack of a record. (Ironic that helps...).

Tough to call it ironic. Check out the records that Lincoln or JFK had before they ran. Obama doesn't have much less than either.

Has Obama actually taken a position on any major issue yet?

Has Hillary?

I know this has been pointed out before, but if she wins that gives us 24 years of two families controlling the U.S. presidency. That is incredibly humiliating.

Has Hillary?

I know this has been pointed out before, but if she wins that gives us 24 years of two families controlling the U.S. presidency. That is incredibly humiliating.

So Hilary gets elected in 2008 and re-elected in 2012

Then we can elect Jeb in 2016 and 2020

In 2024 Chelsea should be old enough to run for prez. Give her 2 terms too

Then in 2032, 2036, 2040, and 2044 we can elect the Bush twins

But I just dont see McCain, Guiliani, Romney or some of these lesser known candidates running the table too easily.

Dark Horse: Ron Paul

Ron Paul is the leading anti-war candidate in the race, so he has almost no chance at all of winning GOP nomination or the general election. I think Hillary can beat McCain because she can paint him the as the candidate who will get us into another war. I was a big McCain supporter in 2000. I liked him, as did many people, but some saw him as a warmonger. I have to agree with them now, and I'm sure others will too. The 2008 campaign will be a strange one. No one is going to love either candidate, IMO.