Beckham to LA Galaxy

They are doing their best. But what about when Beckham gets there and does !@#$ all? He's a player who I really think is past his prime.

"A starter since he joined Real Madrid, Beckham lost his place following the arrival of Italian coach Fabio Capello. He has started only five of Real's 16 league games this season and was known to be frustrated with his lack of opportunities in the first team. "

I mean apart from standing there and smiling, he has to actually get on the field and maybe it will be easier to compete in the MLS than la liga the rest of Europe, he'll still have to shine and it won't be easy.

Honestly, I think if he gets himself on Sportscenter with a set piece from time to time, it'll all be worth it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose they'll mess up somewhere along the way, but I have the utmost faith in the MLS management....they've done a fantastic job so far.

A poster on BigSoccer.com said it best. "The beta test for the MLS is over. It's a new era."

LA huh? I'm sure his wife had nothing to do with that decision. Wonder how long till she's in Playboy.

As much as 9 out of 10 men would love to see her in PB. It won't happen. They're filthy rich. PB is for washed-up stars like Britney.

ESPN Deportes is reporting that reports out of Spain say Ronaldo will be moving to the MLS next week as well. New York Red Bulls as the obvious destination.

That is great that MLS is getting all of Europe's washed up Superstars. Maybe the Barcelona Dragons can sign Drew Bledsoe and Kurt Warner to mega deals.

That is great that MLS is getting all of Europe's washed up Superstars. Maybe the Barcelona Dragons can sign Drew Bledsoe and Kurt Warner to mega deals.

Soccer players around the world don't get paid very much. This just might get some stars to make the jump into the US if salaries like Beckham's are being offered.

I believe the highest paid Italian league player makes about 10M Euro. Same thing for England.

:w00t:

Only a scientologist can take free kicks like beckham :w00t:

hopefully he and the posh'ster will just use them to advance their careers, not actually join that crazy religion

most overrated soccer player ever. Rooney is 1000x the player Beckham is. File this under "but I heard of him"

Oh yeah, I've probably seen Rooney play as much or more than any other top player, and to my eyes he's definitely one of the top five in the world. The guy has it all....with a nasty demeanor on top of it.

The MLS didn't need David Beckham to put on a great championship game last year. And I don't think it's about Beckham's play much at all. I think it's about 1) the image of the league, 2) bringing in new viewers to at least take a look at the product, and 3) raising the level of play of non-Beckham players. I think having a multi-million dollar player around is going to do wonders for some of these other guys. What was a third-rate league in terms of play just became a place where they have an opportunity to make a buck. Does that mean we'll see Beckham-like contracts doled out all over the place? Of course not. But as they say, "the rising tide brings all ships to the top". There is not a single player in MLS who should be upset about the Beckham signing. With Beckham comes the spotlight, and with that comes opportunity. The only players who won't benefit from the greater exposure and opportunity are the really crappy ones, and we don't need them anyway.

Long Live MLS!!!

Oh yeah, I've probably seen Rooney play as much or more than any other top player, and to my eyes he's definitely one of the top five in the world. The guy has it all....with a nasty demeanor on top of it.

The MLS didn't need David Beckham to put on a great championship game last year. And I don't think it's about Beckham's play much at all. I think it's about 1) the image of the league, 2) bringing in new viewers to at least take a look at the product, and 3) raising the level of play of non-Beckham players. I think having a multi-million dollar player around is going to do wonders for some of these other guys. What was a third-rate league in terms of play just became a place where they have an opportunity to make a buck. Does that mean we'll see Beckham-like contracts doled out all over the place? Of course not. But as they say, "the rising tide brings all ships to the top". There is not a single player in MLS who should be upset about the Beckham signing. With Beckham comes the spotlight, and with that comes opportunity. The only players who won't benefit from the greater exposure and opportunity are the really crappy ones, and we don't need them anyway.

Long Live MLS!!!

I love watching Rooney play! I love his nastiness. His hardnosed attitude reminds me of Alan Shearer from New Castle United. Rooney is so fast and so strong- I definately consider him among the best in the world. I hope the Beckham signing does increase USA interest in soccer, maybe it will

I love watching Rooney play! I love his nastiness. His hardnosed attitude reminds me of Alan Shearer from New Castle United. Rooney is so fast and so strong- I definately consider him among the best in the world. I hope the Beckham signing does increase USA interest in soccer, maybe it will

I agree...they replay the Manchester games on FSC all the time, and the guy is just a beast!

And I hope it works out here, too....though the advantage that we have is that soccer being big in the US would just be like icing on the cake. True fans of the game already have a history and scope to the game on the world stage that is just mindboggling. I'd love to see the US interest in the sport maybe get about twice as big as it is now...I think that would be perfect. Then I'd like to see greater access (i.e. media coverage and broadcasts) to the EPL, Champions League, etc.

I don't have a lot of confidence that all this will actually happen, but a man can dream!

I agree...they replay the Manchester games on FSC all the time, and the guy is just a beast!

And I hope it works out here, too....though the advantage that we have is that soccer being big in the US would just be like icing on the cake. True fans of the game already have a history and scope to the game on the world stage that is just mindboggling. I'd love to see the US interest in the sport maybe get about twice as big as it is now...I think that would be perfect. Then I'd like to see greater access (i.e. media coverage and broadcasts) to the EPL, Champions League, etc.

I don't have a lot of confidence that all this will actually happen, but a man can dream!

I wish the EPL and Champions League games were on more here. Every now and then they are on Fox Sports and many are on the spanish channels. I really enjoy when a game is on during the afternoon. One big reason why soccer will never catch on here IMO- no commercials. It is 45 minutes of smooth play without a commercial. I love it! But stations will not make money carrying it- they need the advertisers. I want my EPL and Champions League games!

I wish the EPL and Champions League games were on more here. Every now and then they are on Fox Sports and many are on the spanish channels. I really enjoy when a game is on during the afternoon. One big reason why soccer will never catch on here IMO- no commercials. It is 45 minutes of smooth play without a commercial. I love it! But stations will not make money carrying it- they need the advertisers. I want my EPL and Champions League games!

That's a good point about the commercials....not really compatible with how we watch our tv here in the states :w00t: They'll just have to get creative, dammit! I want my EPL and Champs League games too!

And we probably s hould throw in the Serie A for Meazza :w00t:

The problem is, no one in the US cares about soccer (atleast almost no one) Bringing in Beckham might help this year, but when the novelty wears off, they will be back where they started from. Making him the highest payed athlete in a sport that barely cracks the top 10 in the US is not a great buisness move. Its not like he is a young up and coming star. This might move MLS up a few spots and bring in a couple extra fans, but it is still grossly overpaying for a name

How long do you think until the league has to cancel the contract cause they can't afford to pay him anymore?

The problem is, no one in the US cares about soccer (atleast almost no one) Bringing in Beckham might help this year, but when the novelty wears off, they will be back where they started from. Making him the highest payed athlete in a sport that barely cracks the top 10 in the US is not a great buisness move. Its not like he is a young up and coming star. This might move MLS up a few spots and bring in a couple extra fans, but it is still grossly overpaying for a name

How long do you think until the league has to cancel the contract cause they can't afford to pay him anymore?

People don't care about soccer to the degree they care for the NBA, NFL, and MLB...but they do care. The MLS has been around for ten years, and they've been operating in the black for a while now. They won't ever be a top sport in this country, and they are barely more than 'niche-status' here....but there's a fan base, my friend. Ratings for the WC were quite good - enough to warrant a nice sized contract with ABC/ESPN just a few months ago. For what it wants to be - and for what it is - they do a very good job of managing the league.

People don't care about soccer to the degree they care for the NBA, NFL, and MLB...but they do care. The MLS has been around for ten years, and they've been operating in the black for a while now. They won't ever be a top sport in this country, and they are barely more than 'niche-status' here....but there's a fan base, my friend. Ratings for the WC were quite good - enough to warrant a nice sized contract with ABC/ESPN just a few months ago. For what it wants to be - and for what it is - they do a very good job of managing the league.

I forget who said it on ESPN radio, but I agree that MLS needs a US-born player like a Tiger Woods to get people to pay more attention to MLS.