Beckham to LA Galaxy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the deal is reportedly 5 years, $250 million - that's $50 million a year. Since when does MLS have the type of coin to pay anyone TWICE what the Yankees paid A-Rod last season? Baseball is infinitely more popular and the Yankees are a more valuable team/brand than MLS will EVER be. I don't get it.

So the deal is reportedly 5 years, $250 million - that's $50 million a year. Since when does MLS have the type of coin to pay anyone TWICE what the Yankees paid A-Rod last season? Baseball is infinitely more popular and the Yankees are a more valuable team/brand than MLS will EVER be. I don't get it.

Baseball is infinitely more popular than soccer ONLY in America. How many A-Rod jerseys do kids in Africa, Asia and the Americas have? Maybe 1/1000th of the Beckham jerseys you'll see.

$50 million to get Beckham is a bargain. They'll make that money ten-fold if it pans out arounding to plan. Real Madrid became the most profitable sports team in the world because of Beckham.

This is a big move for US Soccer but they can't stop here. Hopefully Ronaldo follows as is rumored.

Baseball is infinitely more popular than soccer ONLY in America. How many A-Rod jerseys do kids in Africa, Asia and the Americas have? Maybe 1/1000th of the Beckham jerseys you'll see. The MLS will make that $50 million in marketing dollars easily. Real Madrid became the most profitable sports team in the world because of Beckham.

This is a big move for US Soccer but they can't stop here. Hopefully Ronaldo follows as is rumored.

right on....and with the MLS having such smart, savvy folks running the show, this league is putting itself on very solid footing for a bright future. Between a great championship game this past fall, the lucrative long term deal they signed with ABC/ESPN, and now Beckham, they've had a great year.

Baseball is infinitely more popular than soccer ONLY in America. How many A-Rod jerseys do kids in Africa, Asia and the Americas have? Maybe 1/1000th of the Beckham jerseys you'll see.

$50 million to get Beckham is a bargain. They'll make that money ten-fold if it pans out arounding to plan. Real Madrid became the most profitable sports team in the world because of Beckham.

Ummmm... Having Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Raul, probably was a factor more than Beckham ever was as well as having 9 European titles (the most since the tournament was created).

right on....and with the MLS having such smart, savvy folks running the show, this league is putting itself on very solid footing for a bright future. Between a great championship game this past fall, the lucrative long term deal they signed with ABC/ESPN, and now Beckham, they've had a great year.

Personally I think they overpaid for Beckham, especially since he won't be as popular since he lost his captaincy in the world cup squad as well as I believe, a spot on the team.

It will still help promote the league but I personally think they didn't properly project how much they will earn.

Ummmm... Having Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Raul, probably was a factor more than Beckham ever was as well as having 9 European titles (the most since the tournament was created).

No you seriously underestimate the power of David Beckham and marketing... Real were sucessful marketers, and then along came David and made them world renouned, not just in the football arena.

They haven't won jack squat since Becks joined them. I watched a whole special on Becks during the World Cup about how much money he and Real were making from him globally. He truely put them way over the top.

No you seriously underestimate the power of David Beckham and marketing... Real were sucessful marketers, and then along came David and made them world renouned, not just in the football arena.

Perhaps. Maybe if a US team would sign Totti, I'd be much more into it :thumbsup: But we all know that will never happen <_<

I think he might be referring to what the ESPN article said....it mentioned that Madrid owned half of Beckham's image rights, which brought the club millions.

They haven't won jack squat since Becks joined them. I watched a whole special on Becks during the World Cup about how much money he and Real were making from him globally. He truely put them way over the top.

True. Honestly, I hope he goes away. I'm sick of seeing him. His talent is his dead ball and well, not much more than that.

Personally I think they overpaid for Beckham, especially since he won't be as popular since he lost his captaincy in the world cup squad as well as I believe, a spot on the team.

It will still help promote the league but I personally think they didn't properly project how much they will earn.

I suppose they'll mess up somewhere along the way, but I have the utmost faith in the MLS management....they've done a fantastic job so far.

LA huh? I'm sure his wife had nothing to do with that decision. Wonder how long till she's in Playboy.

Hopefully not very

I suppose they'll mess up somewhere along the way, but I have the utmost faith in the MLS management....they've done a fantastic job so far.

They are doing their best. But what about when Beckham gets there and does !@#$ all? He's a player who I really think is past his prime.

"A starter since he joined Real Madrid, Beckham lost his place following the arrival of Italian coach Fabio Capello. He has started only five of Real's 16 league games this season and was known to be frustrated with his lack of opportunities in the first team. "

I mean apart from standing there and smiling, he has to actually get on the field and maybe it will be easier to compete in the MLS than la liga the rest of Europe, he'll still have to shine and it won't be easy.