Obama

In recent months this guy has been thrown onto the stage and into the limelight, and only now are things starting to come out about him? I know very little about him or his policies. Someone want to throw me a bone?

Do you think he is too young? Do you think that the fact that he admitted to doing cocaine in a memoir will come back and bite him later on in the campagn? Are the Democrats really this desperate?

Just wondering. Any information or thoughts would be good.

In recent months this guy has been thrown onto the stage and into the limelight, and only now are things starting to come out about him? I know very little about him or his policies. Someone want to throw me a bone?

Do you think he is too young? Do you think that the fact that he admitted to doing cocaine in a memoir will come back and bite him later on in the campagn? Are the Democrats really this desperate?

Just wondering. Any information or thoughts would be good.

Don't you think you're prejudging the issue somewhat with your "Are the Democrats really this desperate" statement? You admit that you know very little about him or his policies and yet you state that the Democrats must be desperate to be considering him.

Don't you think you're prejudging the issue somewhat with your "Are the Democrats really this desperate" statement? You admit that you know very little about him or his policies and yet you state that the Democrats must be desperate to be considering him.

I do consider it to be a little desperate when they turn to individuals who have tried cocaine, yes. Was it pre-judging? Yes it was, but only based on what i have heard about his cocaine issues and a few other tidbits. For example, are they really trying to identify with African Americans so much that they are making the first real legitimate push to elect an African American president?

Wash. Post link

Well, it certainly doesn't help his campaign among people with the mindset that people who have ever used drugs are not fit for public office. But, I would say that ideal has changed immeasurably in just the last 10 years. It's no longer a deal-breaker as long as said politician has turned their lives around. Look at Bush --- while he hasn't out-and-out said 'cocaine' (except in his sister-in-law's book) but the common perception that he hasn't disputed is he did heavy drugs.

Remember that Obama decided to run knowing full well what he wrote in the memoir and that it would become an issue. I think his credentials and actions since that time speak for themselves, as Marv's famous quote goes. It also shows his full honesty of having made a mistake and freely admitting it to any and all. (Also bear in mind that cocaine when he went to high school was prevalent/reputed akin to marijuana today, and that it was nowhere near as strong). It would have been a problem for him if it had not been in the open and it seemed like he tried to hide it, especially if it came out later. He can address it and get it out of the way a year before the primaries. Americans tend to be very forgiving people b/c many of us have made bad decisions our ownselves such that we realize that you can't change the distant past, only the ongoing present. The only people who will use this against him are his political haters and FOX News (redundant). I look forward to hearing what he (and all of the other candidates, Dem, Repub, Libertarian, etc.) have to say and what ideas he brings to the table to make this a better nation.

Of the Democratic potential candidates, I feel Biden would make a better president than Obama. Biden suggested dividing Iraq into three sections to deal with local issues; while the central government would control the military, currency, and oil supply. Biden's plan for Iraq has a real chance of helping to end the Sunni uprising. Obama's plan for Iraq merely calls for the withdrawal of U.S. troops; in hopes that the Iraqi government will be motivated to train its own troops that much faster.

Edit: correction.

Of the Democratic potential candidates, I feel Biden would make a better president than Mubarak. Biden suggested dividing Iraq into three sections to deal with local issues; while the central government would control the military, currency, and oil supply. Biden's plan for Iraq has a real chance of helping to end the Sunni uprising. Obama's plan for Iraq merely calls for the withdrawal of U.S. troops; in hopes that the Iraqi government will be motivated to train its own troops that much faster.

Biden is running for President of Egypt?

Of the Democratic potential candidates, I feel Biden would make a better president than Obama. Biden suggested dividing Iraq into three sections to deal with local issues; while the central government would control the military, currency, and oil supply. Biden's plan for Iraq has a real chance of helping to end the Sunni uprising. Obama's plan for Iraq merely calls for the withdrawal of U.S. troops; in hopes that the Iraqi government will be motivated to train its own troops that much faster.

Edit: correction.

The administration's abject refusal to consider this option is, in my view, the reason why Iraq is in the current mess it's in.

A diverse, multicultural Iraq would be a great thing, in theory. But in reality, it has just fomented the civil war. What needed to happen was an initial separation into ethnic provinces, followed by a long period of cooperation and either a buildup of collective nationalism (i.e. through sports, a united Olympic team, media, etc.) or, if it's unfeasible, a permanent separation. One of the biggest reasons why this wasn't done was the challenge of how to divvy up the oil monies, i.e. which province gets how much, access, pipeline issues. In fact, tho, a de facto seperation is happening, as families are seperating into ethnic regions by themselves.

I do consider it to be a little desperate when they turn to individuals who have tried cocaine, yes.

Would the Republicans be desperate to turn to an alcoholic former heavy drug user who had left the country no more than 3 times for a presidential candidate?

I don't care the he tried cocaine. I prefer his candor to Bush's and Clinton's unconvincing evasiveness on drug usage.

Don't confuse my defense of him on this issue for support. I'd say he's very green with almost no exposure to foreign policy. The later of those things didn't stop Bush and look at all he's done for the USA in world opinion.

shhh. that might be too mathematical for Holcombs_Arm to comprehend :D

Since you think you're so smart, please enlighten the board with your wisdom. True or false: in any test/retest situation, where the correlation coeffecient between test and retest is less than 1, those who obtain extreme scores on the initial test will, on average, score closer to the population's mean upon being retested.

I do consider it to be a little desperate when they turn to individuals who have tried cocaine, yes. Was it pre-judging? Yes it was, but only based on what i have heard about his cocaine issues and a few other tidbits. For example, are they really trying to identify with African Americans so much that they are making the first real legitimate push to elect an African American president?

George W. Bush did a lot of cocaine in his drinking days.

George W. Bush did a lot of cocaine in his drinking days.

True, but I'm not sure that invalidates the original poster's point. How desperate would you have to feel before you decided that the best possible representative for yourself, your political party, your nation, and your ideology is someone like this?