What ever shall I talk about today?

buckeyemike

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big 10 does not compare with th SEC and this is coming from an ACC fan. You guys do not have the top tier teams week in and week out. That is what hurt you. Michigan is not that good USC proved that theory, you guys just dont have the athletes to compete woth the SEC. Its a hard pill to swallow but its a fact.

Truth. The SEC is vastly superior.

There have been two games I watched this year where one team was so noticeably faster than the other, it was no contest. One was LSU beating ND and the other was last nite. OSU had no chance against Florida's speed. You can throw Auburn into the mix as well.

I am an ACC fan, but there is no football conference like the SEC. Year in and year out it is hands down the best conference. Thats part of their problem. The SEC teams beat on each other so much, they don't receive the accolades that other teams get because the SEC teams have a loss or even two. There is no question in my mind that if a playoff tournament were played in college football the final game would be LSU vs. Florida (sorry Boise, I'd be rooting for you though).

Truth. The SEC is vastly superior.

to repeat, again: ohio state has replaced miami as the school with the best talent in the country - better than florida, better than texas, better than LSU, and better than SC.

Five -- five!! -- OSU players were drafted in the first round last year. a couple of others were drafted on the first day. they'll have a ton of first day selections again this year. the draft is not a sentimental exercise -- the guys who get drafted are the most talented ones.

they were flat out outcoached, and their qb played horribly.

There have been two games I watched this year where one team was so noticeably faster than the other, it was no contest. One was LSU beating ND and the other was last nite. OSU had no chance against Florida's speed. You can throw Auburn into the mix as well.

I am an ACC fan, but there is no football conference like the SEC. Year in and year out it is hands down the best conference. Thats part of their problem. The SEC teams beat on each other so much, they don't receive the accolades that other teams get because the SEC teams have a loss or even two. There is no question in my mind that if a playoff tournament were played in college football the final game would be LSU vs. Florida (sorry Boise, I'd be rooting for you though).

not once did you see a florida receiver outrun an OSU db. the reason? the OSU defensive backfield is exceptionally fast. however, they were set up to fail in a terrible zone scheme that minimized their considerable talents. the fastest genuine football player last night was without a doubt ginn, and he got hurt.

coaching, coaching, coaching.

not once did you see a florida receiver outrun an OSU db. the reason? the OSU defensive backfield is exceptionally fast. however, they were set up to fail in a terrible zone scheme that minimized their considerable talents. the fastest genuine football player last night was without a doubt ginn, and he got hurt.

coaching, coaching, coaching.

Define outrun. By that I mean , when Florida built its big lead right before halftime, the WR screen was just killing OSU. The Florida WRs were getting the ball in space and the OSU defensive backfield was making the tackle 8-12 yards downfield. Also, Florida's lineman speed was amazing. OSU's OL was outclassed in every way by the Florida DL.

Define outrun. By that I mean , when Florida built its big lead right before halftime, the WR screen was just killing OSU. The Florida WRs were getting the ball in space and the OSU defensive backfield was making the tackle 8-12 yards downfield. Also, Florida's lineman speed was amazing. OSU's OL was outclassed in every way by the Florida DL.

i'm talking about being able to run and general overall quickness. the plays you're talking about are a result of a terrible scheme.

OSU's offensive line wasn't as bad as you think -- almost every one of those sacks was a result of terrible pocket awareness by smith. either that or a terrible game plan that shunned the short pass even after losing ginn.

there was some pretty bad coaching on both sides of the ball for OSU.

to repeat, again: ohio state has replaced miami as the school with the best talent in the country - better than florida, better than texas, better than LSU, and better than SC.

Five -- five!! -- OSU players were drafted in the first round last year. a couple of others were drafted on the first day. they'll have a ton of first day selections again this year. the draft is not a sentimental exercise -- the guys who get drafted are the most talented ones.

okay, fair enough, but for whatever reason, even when the coaches change, the SEC has perenially been the far and away best conference. so whatever the magic formula is, it works. you can't deny that.

i'm talking about being able to run and general overall quickness. the plays you're talking about are a result of a terrible scheme.

OSU's offensive line wasn't as bad as you think -- almost every one of those sacks was a result of terrible pocket awareness by smith. either that or a terrible game plan that shunned the short pass even after losing ginn.

there was some pretty bad coaching on both sides of the ball for OSU.

OSU's oline wasn't as bad as you think? Really? Constant pressure throughout the whole game where he couldn't stand in the pocket and make consistent throws? I'm certainly not denying that Smith held the ball too long some of those times and didn't feel the pressure, but honestly, Florida was all over him the whole game.

okay, fair enough, but for whatever reason, even when the coaches change, the SEC has perenially been the far and away best conference. so whatever the magic formula is, it works. you can't deny that.

no doubt, the SEC is a good conference -- i'm not denying that. and it's not as if i think florida is a slouch. meyer is an exceptionally creative coach who has done it before with much lesser talent (utah), and tressel appeared to have become a little bit too used to coaching against unimaginitive, vanilla guys like lloyd carr.

I agree. For whatever reason OSU was very slow to adjust, especially their underneath coverage. On the other side of the ball, it looked like Florida was getting the play out of the OSU huddle. I can't tell you the number of times they were in the exact perfect coverage/rush for the play that was called. Florida looked even faster as the game went on because OSU was mentally beaten.

Kudos to Meyer for whipping Tressle's ass. That doesn't happen too often.

OSU's oline wasn't as bad as you think? Really? Constant pressure throughout the whole game where he couldn't stand in the pocket and make consistent throws? I'm certainly not denying that Smith held the ball too long some of those times and didn't feel the pressure, but honestly, Florida was all over him the whole game.

the first three sacks were pretty much all his fault. he's gotta get rid of the ball, and he didn't. the second one, where the RT did a solid job blocking the left DE, should never have resulted in a sack. yet smith drifted right over into the LDE's sights. of course, the announcers blamed the RT, because you don't wanna blame a guy who just won the heisman.

I was shocked when Tressel panicked and went for it on fourth down on OSU's 29. Instead of being 10 points down at the half, they were 20 points down and gave up any hope of having a balanced attack in the second half.

In the end, OSU probably would have lost anyway, but Tressel made sure that was going to be the result when he panicked at the end of the first half.

the first three sacks were pretty much all his fault. he's gotta get rid of the ball, and he didn't. the second one, where the RT did a solid job blocking the left DE, should never have resulted in a sack. yet smith drifted right over into the LDE's sights. of course, the announcers blamed the RT, because you don't wanna blame a guy who just won the heisman.

my point is that smith was under constant pressure the whole game, every time he dropped back to pass. that is on the oline. they were a sieve. i can't remember each individual sack and i completely agree that smith was just terrible last night in general but when you are scrambling out of the pocket for your life on every drop back pass, that is just terrible oline play

Apparently I'm not the only one who saw a bit of a different game from a speed perspective...

Speed Kills

OSU is a very good football team. But there is no way they stay on the field with UF (or LSU) from a speed perspective. I'm talking total team speed, not 40 yard dash times.

Apparently I'm not the only one who saw a bit of a different game from a speed perspective...

Speed Kills

OSU is a very good football team. But there is no way they stay on the field with UF (or LSU) from a speed perspective. I'm talking total team speed, not 40 yard dash times.

i see where you're going with this, and i do want to say that yes, florida is fast, and yes, they played well. but a lot of that speed you're seeing is a function of quick decision making and players being put in the right position. OSU did the opposite last night. i don't think i've ever seen an instance where a secondary's talents have been more wasted. i mean, in the first half, most of the time the receiver was at least a half dozen yards from the defender! and in some of those instances, he was basically standing, not running.

Speed Kills

the weird thing about this piece is that in terms of team speed, i think it's fairly safe to say that OSU has a faster defense than florida.

cough...2005 Draft...cough, cough....

Only three players selected from this football factory you call Ohio State. The first Buckeye taken was pick #47, kicker Mike Nugent...And the third was pick #101, Maurice Clarett...

the weird thing about this piece is that in terms of team speed, i think it's fairly safe to say that OSU has a faster defense than florida.

Perhaps in an overall sense. And I agree that coaching and complacency were factors. But OSU's offense, especially without Ginn, couldn't match Florida's defensive team speed at all. On the other side, Florida's offense, especially the WR screen, was extremely effective at getting the WRs, who are shifty playmaker types not necessarily burners, in space to make plays against an overmatched OSU D. The OSU D could have benefitted from better coaching. On offense, they were outclassed.