What ever shall I talk about today?

buckeyemike

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cough...2005 Draft...cough, cough....

Only three players selected from this football factory you call Ohio State. The first Buckeye taken was pick #47, kicker Mike Nugent...And the third was pick #101, Maurice Clarett...

one too many coughs there.

in 2004, 13 -- 13!! -- ohio state players were drafted (three in the first round, seven on the first day, and nine in the first four rounds).

Ohio Staete will be in the hunt for the national championship every year because they play in a horrible conference. Michigan and PSU are they only decent teams and they play 1960's style football. 3 yds and a cloud of dust.

The SEC is far superior to all the other coferences. 9 of the 12 teams made the bowls and six won, I game was played with bith teams from the SEC.

You will never convince me that OSU was a faster team, no way.

As far as Troy Smith, heck of an athlete and seemingly a better person, but I don't see him being much of a QB at the next level. He just doesn't have the size. He's listed at 5' 10 1/2", he'll be hard pressed to make the jump well.

Oh and as for the SEC and OSU, they are now 0-9 against SEC teams in bowls. Nuff said.

Ohio Staete will be in the hunt for the national championship every year because they play in a horrible conference. Michigan and PSU are they only decent teams and they play 1960's style football. 3 yds and a cloud of dust. The SEC is far superior to all the other coferences. 9 of the 12 teams made the bowls and six won.

And two of the conference's three losses were to who? Arkansas lost to Wisconsin of the Big Ten, and Tennessee lost to unranked Penn State of the Big Ten.

Ohio Staete will be in the hunt for the national championship every year because they play in a horrible conference. Michigan and PSU are they only decent teams and they play 1960's style football. 3 yds and a cloud of dust.

The SEC is far superior to all the other coferences. 9 of the 12 teams made the bowls and six won, I game was played with bith teams from the SEC.

You will never convince me that OSU was a faster team, no way.

As far as Troy Smith, heck of an athlete and seemingly a better person, but I don't see him being much of a QB at the next level. He just doesn't have the size. He's listed at 5' 10 1/2", he'll be hard pressed to make the jump well.

Oh and as for the SEC and OSU, they are now 0-9 against SEC teams in bowls. Nuff said.

oh jeez. iowa and wisconsin are consistently good, and michigan state, despite the fact that it's a chronic underachiever, always fields some of the best athletic talent in the nation.

the sec is in fact the best conference at present -- i'm not going to argue that. but to then say that the big ten sucks, well, you're delegitimizing your entire argument.

When was the last time Iowa and Wisconsin were any kind of national power? They have a hard time beeting the Minnesotas of the world. Michigan State always is so so. Penn St is getting better but the would get drilled by LSU, Auburn, Florida

Arkansas is hardly at the top end of the SEC, neither is Alabama for that matter, they made it on name recognition . Wisconsin won on a last minute FG if I remember correctly.

The two best teams the Big Ten had got waxed in the bowl games.When you look at the top dogs out of those conferences the SEC has a huge advantage.

Smith was flat out bad last night. But I also think Tressel deserves a lot of blame...there were no visible adjustments at halftime, he seemed content to watch Smith in the 7 step drop run backwards 10 yards and get sacked, constantly.

Why do you say Michigan fans are happy? I know quite a few, and they are pretty ticked at OSU, cause this really sucks for the big ten.

up here in badgerland, all the kids were telling me they were pulling for OSU yesterday because they're in the big 10. i couldn't believe it, because if i was a wisconsin fan sitting there with one loss, i'd want to see ohio st. get rocked.

i mean shee-it, do i root for new england in the super bowl just because they're in our division? i don't think so.

When was the last time Iowa and Wisconsin were any kind of national power? They have a hard time beeting the Minnesotas of the world. Michigan State always is so so. Penn St is getting better but the would get drilled by LSU, Auburn, Florida

Arkansas is hardly at the top end of the SEC, neither is Alabama for that matter, they made it on name recognition . Wisconsin won on a last minute FG if I remember correctly.

The two best teams the Big Ten had got waxed in the bowl games.When you look at the top dogs out of those conferences the SEC has a huge advantage.

national titles in last 10 years:

ACC - 1

Big 10 - 2

SEC - 3 (one a tie)

Pac 10 - 2 (one a tie)

Big 12 - 2

Big East - 1

the point is, it's pretty even. one year a conference has an up year, the next year they don't. oklahoma dominated a few years back; now they're just really good. texas won last year, this year they didn't. OSU won 4 years ago, this year they didn't. florida won this year; last year they didn't. USC won two years in a row; this year they lost to a very mediocre UCLA team.

today, the best conferences - sec, pac 10, big 10, big 12, acc - all have a half dozen or so programs that win more than they lose and consistently put players in the pros. the sec is the best conference this year, but that doesn't mean it will be next year. these sorts of absolutist pronouncements never make sense to me.

Um, Wisconsin's won the Rose Bowl twice this decade.

Michigan has a national title in the last 10 years.

Ohio State has one in the past five years, and played for another.

Illinois has played in a BCS bowl in the past six years.

Even Northwestern has been to several bowl games since 1995.

But, I will say that the SEC is the nation's most competitive conference. First ever to have nine bowl teams in a single season.

OK dave I'll concede that the national titles are even, can't argue that fact. My reasoning is that it is harder for the SEC teams because from top to bottom they are much better. If you look at the non conference games it sure seems that the SEC schools don't play the Buffalo, Bowling Green, and Temples of college football. Ohio st. does play some top tier teams out of conference just like florida so I'll give them that.

IMO the Big Ten doesn't have the same in conference or out of conference schedule on the whole as the SEC. That goes for the other conferences as well. The biggest fraud by far is ND, I hate that team.

As much as everyone hates Jimmy Johnson he said the same last night just before kickoff, and I've been trying to tell the guys I work with this, for a long long time.

Just so nobody considers me a homer I'll state that my favorite team is Miami. I just love watching those southern teams knock the crap out of each other. The football tradition down there is just unmatched anywhere.

OK dave I'll concede that the national titles are even, can't argue that fact. My reasoning is that it is harder for the SEC teams because from top to bottom they are much better. If you look at the non conference games it sure seems that the SEC schools don't play the Buffalo, Bowling Green, and Temples of college football. Ohio st. does play some top tier teams out of conference just like florida so I'll give them that.

IMO the Big Ten doesn't have the same in conference or out of conference schedule on the whole as the SEC. That goes for the other conferences as well. The biggest fraud by far is ND, I hate that team.

As much as everyone hates Jimmy Johnson he said the same last night just before kickoff, and I've been trying to tell the guys I work with this, for a long long time.

Just so nobody considers me a homer I'll state that my favorite team is Miami. I just love watching those southern teams knock the crap out of each other. The football tradition down there is just unmatched anywhere.

i don't disagree - sec football is a civic religion down there. i went to ucla for grad school, and trust me, no one outside of a few thousand bruin boosters really gives much of a crap about them.

i do think you're not being fair to wisconsin. 3 rose bowl titles since 93, and two bowl victories in a row against sec teams. that's a really underrated program.

p.s. the sec does have some weak sisters: vandy, kentucky, and mississippi state. also, NE louisiana, east carolina, and Louisiana tech always seem to wind up on a couple of SEC schedules.

p.s. the sec does have some weak sisters: vandy, kentucky, and mississippi state. also, NE louisiana, east carolina, and Louisiana tech always seem to wind up on a couple of SEC schedules.

Kentucky wasn't too bad this year. They actually won a bowl game, beating Clemson. I saw Big Blue had 40,000 fans for the Music City Bowl in Nashville.

Vandy has been competitive the last few years, largely thanks to Jay Cutler.

Mississippi State was good under Jackie Sherrill in the mid- to late-90s.

But you're right about them scheduling bottom-rung 1-A and even some 1-AA teams, who are largely in search of a nice check.

I hate when teams do that but I understand that you can't play 12 games against the top teams in the country. Alot of those type of games are regional games.

Consider, Penn.St. plays teams in Ohio, I can see one but Akron, Youngstown St., and throw in Temple.

My favorite is Buffalo, it has Wisc., Auburn and BC on it's schedule. Hell they would have trouble having a winning record playing Buffalo area High Schools. Why that team made the jump up is beyond me.

Penn St is getting better but the would get drilled by LSU, Auburn, Florida

Isn't Tennesee in the SEC?

Bowl games ARE NOT the best measure - there is simply too long between games. It's hard for me to believe that there are actually Buffalo BILLS' fans who have a hard time understanding that this was ONE GAME.

to repeat, again: ohio state has replaced miami as the school with the best talent in the country - better than florida, better than texas, better than LSU, and better than SC.

Five -- five!! -- OSU players were drafted in the first round last year. a couple of others were drafted on the first day.

So Ohio Sate has the best talent in the country because they lost most of their best players last year? :thumbsup: That makes less than no sense.

That OSU team is way shorter on talent than it has been in the past and they were compltely overmatched against an opponent that had faaaaaarrrrr more talent on the field. Skip the speculative conjecture on how you think the draft will go next year and just concentrate on what you actually saw on the field last night. The Gator Offensive and Defensive lines completely destroyed OSU's less talented lines on both sides of the ball on every play. That, along with their too deep WR corps, is what decided that game.

For whatever reason OSU was very slow to adjust, especially their underneath coverage. On the other side of the ball, it looked like Florida was getting the play out of the OSU huddle. I can't tell you the number of times they were in the exact perfect coverage/rush for the play that was called.

I'd agree with you if I thought there was anything Tressel could have done about it. With that ridiculously deep WR corps all Meyer had to do was go 4wide all night to clear out OSU underneath and eat them up in the short zones. The Buckeyes had no answer simply because there wasn't one. Their best DB this year was a walk-on and they couldn't match up with that group of talented receivers in a 100 years. If they had tried to go man or even just run manunder/zoneover Florida would have put on an aerial display that might have ended up in a 60 point night. On the other side of the ball I thought th reason it looked like Florida was in teh OSU huddle was because teh Gators were winning virtually every single individual battle on a consistent basis. At teh time I was wishing OSU would show some commitment to a rungame, but in hindsight I really don't think it would have helped much at all.

Props to Meyer for a great gameplan and his players for executing so well, but until somebody can show me a way that Tressel or any other coach on the planet could have done anything about it, I'm inclined to leave the onus on the talent differential where I think it belongs.

Cya

Darrin the Volunteers are in the SEC, but they are far from what they have been, at least this year. And I said they would have gotten drilled by Auburn, LSU or Florida. They are who I would consider the top three programs even though Arkansas won their division. I'm considering the fact that Penn. St. is in the top 3 of the Big 10, which one could argue.

Just for the record, I am not a Bills fan either. That would be the Dolphins. I grew up in Florida hence the Dolphins and Hurricanes as my favorite football teams. Although lately it hasn't been much fun watching either.

I agree that the layoff sucks though. If the Big 10 had a playoff it wouldn't be as bad, but that is there own problem.