Mike Greenberg would take Brady over Montana

Willis990

Sysytem QB???lol...thats why he played so well at age 38 with a bunch of junk in Kansas City.

Brady is great...but you cant say anyone is BETTER than Montana---especially in big games.He was otherworldly in big situations.

Montana DID have better talent around him--I agree...but he also had better teams he had to play against since it was pre-salary cap.

The fact that Brady is mentioned in the same sentences as Montana is a great compliment to Brady.

When Brady marched down the field completey colly and calmly in that Raider game(after he F U M B L E D ) I knew the guy was something special.He was in a zone--no panic at all---that few QBs achieve.

Montana was great, no question. Could he play well in a non-WCO? Yes, to some extent (as you mentioned in KC). Would he have been a HOF-er? I have some doubts. Brady's better IMO.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the defenses- Brady has had to carry some of the worst defenses in league to the big game while Montana always had a top Defense to support him.

Huhh??-didnt we mention that Montana had to play by farrr better teams???

Montana was great, no question. Could he play well in a non-WCO? Yes, to some extent (as you mentioned in KC). Would he have been a HOF-er? I have some doubts. Brady's better IMO.

YOU have questions about his HOF status??? cuckoo cuckooo cuckoo cuckooo

Not to mention the defenses- Brady has had to carry some of the worst defenses in league to the big game while Montana always had a top Defense to support him.

you are kidding, right? I think brady is great and all (it pains me to say so) but he has benefitted from excellent defense and special teams in his playoff runs.

I saw the other day that mannings defense has allowed 21 points per game in the playoffs, while brady's has allowed 15.8 or so - pretty big difference there.

All you need to do is look at 2002 and 2005 and see where Brady's defense ranked in terms of points allowed, versus 2001, 2003, and 2004. That's it.

And that's not even going into the MAJOR ref help they've gotten over the years, the fact that Vinatieri had to kick 2 game-winning FG's in the closing seconds to win SB's, and that he didn't even need to play half the game or score any points against the Steelers for them to still win in the 2001 AFCCG.

It's ALL Brady. :rolleyes:

All you need to do is look at 2002 and 2005 and see where Brady's defense ranked in terms of points allowed, versus 2001, 2003, and 2004. That's it.

And that's not even going into the MAJOR ref help they've gotten over the years, the fact that Vinatieri had to kick 2 game-winning FG's in the closing seconds to win SB's, and that he didn't even need to play half the game or score any points against the Steelers for them to still win in the 2001 AFCCG.

It's ALL Brady. :rolleyes:

Like Montana didn't have Rice, Taylor, Clark, Solomon, Craig, Tyler, Rathman, Sapolu, Barton, Lott, Davis, Holt, Dean, Board, Reynolds, McIntyre, Rominowski, Wallace, Washington, Haley, Millen, Smerlass, Turner, Wright, Burt, Cross, Williamson, etc?

Great teams mean great players. Tom Brady is a great player and has won no matter what's been thrown his direction. He's never had offensive talent around him even close to what Montana had, nor has weather bothered him like it did Montana.

Go back and look at the Niners' success. They shutout the Bears in the NFC Championship game and gave up only 3 points to "Chris" Everett's Rams in another NFC Championship game. Their defensive ranks for points allowed during the "Montana Era" were: 2, 4, 1, 2, 3, 3, 8, 3, and 2. Ask Peyton Manning how cool it is to actually have your defense show up once in awhile.

I'm sick of this ridiculous fukkin argument. Tom Brady is a great fukkin football player and if he was on our team, we'd have likely won the division. Yeah, his changing teams would mean THAT MUCH to each team.

Alaska---couldn't have said it better myself! Brady hands down. Antowain Smith is on par with Roger Craig though, huh? And Jerry Rice is pretty much as good as Troy Brown too. All those Pro Bowl receivers (none) Brady had to throw to is why he is so good. Face it guys, we have had to face the best QB in the NFL in the past 20 years. At least we have got to see him play. I just moved from Boston and when you listen to the guy talk and his interviews you see how driven he is and committed to winning. The good thing is I see a lot of the same qualities coming out in JP.

I heard Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike this AM say he would take Brady over Montana in a big game. What do you guys think? I would take Montana now but if Brady wins one more then I would go with Brady.

I can't see how you could take anyone over brady. His playoff record is almost superhuman. I hate the Pats, but you have to tip your cap to him, especially this season with junk at WR.

Excellent point. Give the Pats credit for their titles, but have they beaten a single great team in the past 5 years?

The NFC of Montana's era had some dominating teams going up against each other every year in the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more. Gentlemen, the game was played at a higher level by better players and coaches. The ATHLETES may be better today, but the player is not.

Montana, hands down.

Couldn't agree more. Gentlemen, the game was played at a higher level by better players and coaches. The ATHLETES may be better today, but the player is not.

Montana, hands down.

But that gets evened out by the amount of talent Montana had in his 49ers team....

I might still take Montana over Brady just for a single game.....But Brady is up there right with Montana. The only qualm I have is that Brady needs to give credit to his defense and special team for those SuperBowl wins.....However, he himself is one helluva QB.

Montana, hands down.

Right. Brady wouldn't have been able to QB Montana's Niners to success, but IS able to take a team with markedly less talent to 3 SB wins. :thumbsup:

The game wasn't played at a higher level, other than there were 2 REALLY good teams per conference every season and the gap between the bottom and top was more noticeable than it is today (this is despite the ridiculous arguments from the idiots who, before the season even started, stated the BILLS had almost no talent).

Montana in Foxboro in December = disaster. Joe Montana is the example for players who were put in the absolute perfect situation to showcase themselves. He almost never had to play on the road in the playoffs, meaning he ducked the difficult weather conditions that he COULD NOT PLAY IN.

Montana's playoff record (excluding Super Bowls):

Home: 10 wins, 2 losses.

Road: 2 wins (one of them over the STEVE FULLER QB'd Bears, the other over the the 1988 Bears with Jim McMahon starting his first game in a month), 5 losses. Team averaged 11 PPG in those losses.