Bambi and Thumper

millbank

Bambi and Thumper :blink:

Thought these photo's looked interesting. I wonder if many folks have encountered more deer this winter thus far with the milder weather. It seems every morning and night at the edge of the road we are seeing them last evening we seen a group of about ten trying to cross the roadway. Drivers need be extremely careful.

They are like rats here... Deer are everywhere... They are equally at home in parts of the city as they are the country.

I remember reading a stat that there are more white tail now than back in 1900... Even the feral dogs and coyotes can't keep up with them in this part of the city.

Years back... I recall one that got in on site, hand one antler... Took to the upper guidewall, jumped into the river and swam across while a southbound towboat was about 500' from bearing down on it... Made it toward the open field on the other side of the river.

Even one of the chuckleheads here was rushing in late one night to get to work by midnight and clipped one on the lock access road.

Sometimes, when you leave at night a few are on the road... The have nowhere to go because the access road has a fence around it... So they go crazy running in front of your headlights pounding the fence... They kinda look like this going down the road: :blink::blink::blink: If you turn down the headlights, they get to a point where they will tire and freeze... Then "doubleback" behind you... Ah, the cruel life of "city deeer". :blink: