Has anyone had surgery to deal with constant nasal congestion?

Arkady Renko

Are saline sprays the kind that cause rebound congestion or is that something else?

Saline does the opposite and keeps it cleaned out. Steroid sprays like Afrin will mess you up to the point where you get dependant on them. Ask your Dr. about Astelin or one of the non steroid sprays.

I don't have any experience with that surgery, but I have had five surgeries (3 eye, 1 plastic, 1 ortho) over the past three months. My advice to you would be to exhaustively pursue any and all non-surgical options and only elect surgery as an absolute last resort.

ADD does not exist. Its some thing some psychiatrist made up so he had an excuse to give out some more drugs and dismiss his patient, and make some green in the proccess.

Really???? People actually think ADD is a real thing?

pssssssst...wrong thread :rolleyes:

For the past few years, my allergies have been really bad and hardly manageable with standard allergy medication (or the medication made me extremely tired). My allergies lead to really bad nasal congestion at night and it's hard to get a good night's rest most nights. Allergy shots have only slightly made it better.

There's only so much one can do with his environment, so I am beginning to look into this laser surgery they can do at an ENT doc where they open up your nasal passages a bit more or cauterize the stuff that causes nasal congestion.

I know this is probably fairly rare, but has anyone here done something like this. If so, what were the results?

I had a deviated septum as well......from a headbutt I got in my late teens. At 35 I had it taken care of. Basically they take a hammer and punch and break the inside of your nose and fix it from there. Now I used to LIVE on decongestants for many many years...ALWAYS stuffed up. ALWAYS with a sinus headache. THEY ARE VITURALLY NON EXISTANT TO ME ANYMORE. IF you have a deviated septum GET IT FIXED!! I've had a 150% turnaround since. Don't wait...GET R DONE! You will not regret it. They put you under so the only thing I had an issue with was getting the IV....good luck but don't wait anylonger.

I've had a rhinoplasty done to fix all the years of playing hockey and rugby.

It's not a picnic and I would only do it if you absolutely. The recovery is really uncomfortable, just image what your face would feel like after a few rounds with Mike Tyson in his prime and this is what you will look and feel like. You can't work for about 7-10 days.

But after a month or so, it becomes alot better.

The funny thing was, when I was in the patient room waiting for my day surgery, everyone had huge friggin honkers...so I figured it must have been rhinoplasty day for the doctor. And when I got out and was coming out of the anethstetics everyone of those people with huge honkers had bandages around their nose.

Another cheap thing to try is a neti pot. They sell them at health food stores for about $15. Fill it with tap water, add a little salt, tilt your head and stick the nozzle into one nostril. It fills up your sinus cavity and runs out of your other nostril. My 14 yr old daughter does it too when she feels congested.

Cheap, easy do it yourself decongestant.