You think our free agents are important this year??

Although I would be sad to see Flether and Kelsey go, I really think resigning Nate Clements is critically important to the continued development of our defense and losing him and his proven ability would leave a huge hole in our secondary.

Now on the other hand, next year is going to be even more difficult. We have Losman, Evans, and McGahee all possible free agents and its imperative we sign Losman and Evans to an extension before the start of next season if we want to get the most bang for our buck. McGahee is a tough hard nosed player but he is definitely replaceable and we might even find a better back through free agency or the draft. I was looking through the 2006 draft yesterday and their were numerous RB's taken in the later rounds,

Maurice Drew - 2nd round

Jerious Norwood - 3rd round

Leon Washington - 4th round

RB's are much easier to find then a top flight CB.

Although I like McGahee, he's not a top 10 back but then again, we have never given him a proven OL to run behind so who really knows.

I just hope we don't lose Nate Clements, Lee Evans, and J.P. Losman as all three are entering their prime because it would be a definite setback to our team's progress and losing those players could come back to haunt us.

Just an opinion.

P.S. Please let us land Patrick Willis or Dwayne Jarrett in the first round next year.

Willis would be the one player I can see replacing Fletcher and Jarrett could definitely take some heat off of Evans.

Peerless Price is not the answer as a #2 WR.

If thats correct then I apologize, I thought I read something the other day from a story on TWOBILLSDRIVE that said all 3 were upcoming free agents. Regardless, I still think we should extend them now because their value is only going to increase to the point we won't be able to afford them. What do you think? Thanks for the correction too if what you say is true.

Losman has 2 year left on his deal & evans has 3. Willis is a free agen after next year.

Maurice Drew - 2nd round

Jerious Norwood - 3rd round

Leon Washington - 4th round

RB's are much easier to find then a top flight CB.

Although I like McGahee, he's not a top 10 back but then again, we have never given him a proven OL to run behind so who really knows.

Way to take a small example to prove a often misguided theory people have that "you can find rb's everywhere". Basicaly to repost something I posted awhile ago. Now granted some of these were free agent acquisitions but the main point is still rather glaring of rb's and where they were drafted. I'll give you the skim notes version.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry839226

AFC East- AFC East Total- 3 1st rd picks, 2 2nd rd picks, 1 3rd 1 4th

AFC West Total- 2 1st rd picks, 2 2nd rd picks

AFC North total- 1 1st rd, 1 3rd rd, 1 4th, rd 1 UDFA

AFC South Totals- 2 1st rd picks, 3 2nd rd picks, and 6th rd pick.

AFC TOTALS- 8 1st rd . 7 2nd rd . 2 3rd rd . 2 4th rd . 1 6th rd 1 udfa. 17 1ST DAY Rbs. 2 4th rounders and only 2 late picks.

NFC EAST TOTAL- 3 2nd rd picks, 1 3rd rd

NFC WEST TOTAL- 3 1st rd picks, 1 3rd rd

NFC SOUTH TOTAL- 5 1ST rd picks, 1 2nd, 1 3rd

NFC North Total- 3 1st picks, 1 3rd, 1 6th

NFC TOTALS- 10 1st rd picks, 4 2nd rd picks, 3 3rd rd picks, 1 6th rd pick.

NFL TOTALS- 19 1ST RD PICKS, 11 2ND RD PICKS, 5 3RD RD, 2 4th rd, 2 6th rd, 1 udfa

Once again When drafting rb's odds are you'll be drafting one in the 1st or second round. Which is fine cause that is how I believe your team should be built, however as the bills stand right now I just don't think we can afford the risk of a 1st day rb when there are much bigger holes on the team. A Year from now sure. This year? Pass.

Way to take a small example to prove a often misguided theory people have that "you can find rb's everywhere". Basicaly to repost something I posted awhile ago. Now granted some of these were free agent acquisitions but the main point is still rather glaring of rb's and where they were drafted. I'll give you the skim notes version.

AFC TOTALS- 8 1st rd . 7 2nd rd . 2 3rd rd . 2 4th rd . 1 6th rd 1 udfa. 17 1ST DAY Rbs. 2 4th rounders and only 2 late picks.

NFL TOTALS- 19 1ST RD PICKS, 11 2ND RD PICKS, 5 3RD RD, 2 4th rd, 2 6th rd, 1 udfa

Once again When drafting rb's odds are you'll be drafting one in the 1st or second round. Which is fine cause that is how I believe your team should be built, however as the bills stand right now I just don't think we can afford the risk of a 1st day rb when there are much bigger holes on the team. A Year from now sure. This year? Pass.

Nice work. I read this and the original post. The only thing that I could counter this with is that I think that there is more quality depth at the RB position in the NFL than at CB. That may be just because I know the names of the 2nd and 3rd string RBs and I don't know most of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th CBs on most teams. I dunno.

While it may be incorrect to say that it is not as easy to find an RB in the later rounds as it is in the first 2 or so (which you have nicely illustrated), I maintain that it is easier to get quality play out of an RB drafted on Sunday than a CB drafted on the same day.

That is my opinion. Some time I might actually get around to providing some facts to back this up with. :w00t:

Frank Gore - 3rd round

Marion Barber - 4th round

Brandon Jacobs - 4th round

Micheal Turner - 5th round

Barber, Jacobs and Turner can match McGahee's less then impressive numbers if they are a full time starter........or at least Turner and Barber for sure. Gore is just a BEAST!

We should have never drafted McGahee when we had Travis Henry, NEVER!

It is interesting, perhaps drafting a running back that year was not the problem. Drafting the wrong one was. Larry Johnson went 2 picks later. No sane person could honestly say they would rather have willis then LJ.

It is interesting, perhaps drafting a running back that year was not the problem. Drafting the wrong one was. Larry Johnson went 2 picks later. No sane person could honestly say they would rather have willis then LJ.

LJ may have run a bit better than willis behind our line here in buffalo, but make no mistake, willis would be knocking out 1500 yard seasons easily in KC.

I would think this would be true of other positions other than RB as well.